Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess  No matter what you decide to do to LOSE weight, to MAINTAIN the loss, you will need your discipline.  I've been a yo-yo dieter for maybe 60 years and there has not been a program I tried that taught me all that much I didn't know to begin with.  How scsary is that?

But you're on the right track if you can persuade yourself that no matter what you decide to eat, no matter what regime you put yourself on, it's definitely a matter of portion control. I did lose weight once on Nutrisystem, but for me, the sweets were too sweet, the snacks were too salty, and I just wasn't crazy about some of the main courses; thus, I never ordered a second time even though I'd lost weight.

My favorite portion control episodes have all been Weight Watcher related, and even now although I'm following my vascular surgeons suggestions to eliminate or control even more the cholesterol that's my own enemy, I still revert to the portions I learned from WW.

So, for me, portion control is what works to keep me thinking about what I'm eating and I prefer to choose and prepare my own foods, but don't let anyone deceive you -  whether you lose weight on WW, on Jenny Craig, on Nutrisystem, etc. -  they're all about portion control and you're the controller!

Honored Contributor

I purchased the program 3 years ago, total waste of my money because most of the food was inedible and the portions were too small to keep me food.  Although to be fair, I didn't supplement the foods with a lot vegetables.  I chose to go with another program that is more health based and has meal supplements that are real food.  Also, I needed to break my salty snack and sweets habit; Nutrisystem wouldn't have helped me do that because they have those fake snack foods.

Esteemed Contributor

I  like the Vegetarian choice... but I am not that kind of gal.  I believe that weight loss  must be done with real foods and real temptations for it to last and be effective.  I see people carrying out packages and packages from my doctors office and they do lose weight BUT if has to be a lifetime commitment with all the temptations around.  We should be able to make our own choices for it to last.

Trusted Contributor

My DH has done the Nutrisystem twice and lost a lot of weight both times.  He was one of those that gained most of it back after he stopped the system though.  I recall that he gained back 20 of the 32 lbs. he lost about 2 years back.

I am another one who likes the Lean Cuisine frozen meals.  I lost 16 lbs. having one of those for lunch and a big salad for dinner.

Honored Contributor

My friend did nutrisystem and lost 100lbs.  It worked for her because she worked a lot of hours and didn't have time to think about food.  She liked the food.  After she had a couple kids, she gained it all back.  Many people are successful on the plan and only you know what's right for you.  Wal-Mart offers a one week kit of food.  I think I'd try that before going to a months worth.  If you like it, then you can still get the TSV.  It likely won't be much more than it is today.

Esteemed Contributor

I did Nutrisystem years ago - and, it worked!  Some food was all right - good, but not as good as home made; others, not my taste.

I often would order online and keep some dinners in my locker at work.  Working long hours, I sometimes wouldn't have time to bring a few meals into work.  Nutrisystem fit the bill as is was healthier and less costly than ordering food in.

When I retired to care for my mother, I also had "favorites" on hand.  Had checked these meals out with her doctor who explained they were good to serve, being pre-cooked did not have salt content of canned foods.

Anyways, lost the pounds and learned portion control by doing this program.  Had tried WW also, but to me, the portions were too large.  So, if you want to reduce quickly, I'd go with the Nutrisystem.  As with any program, it's calories in vs. calories expended.  You've got to change your eating style which I find easier if you adhere to portion control and lightening up on the extras:  butters, cheese, oils, etc.

Honored Contributor

@acat  I order it every January; I ordered both plans this time. I've lost a large amount of weight primarily via WW but planning meals gets old...VERY old when you lost so much. I use this as my New Years boost- no thinking about what to make for me, pull it out when I need to, use it when I travel, etc. I think the food is great; guess I have an uneducated palate, lol. The vegetarian options REALLY appeal to me, have to say.

Here's my thing: You do whatever you need to do for your health. If this plan helps you for one month and then you're off to WW or Jenny Craig, or some group on YouTube or whatever it is... as long as it works for you and takes you down the path to a HEALTHIER you, GO FOR IT.  

BTW, this plan does rely on soy for the protein source. I found the sodium and carbs/sugar were acceptable as per my cardiologist and my endocrinologist. Any questions, contact your doctor. I was told by CS if I ordered it, took the info to my doc and it was decided NOT good for me to use, they would NOT charge me to ship it back. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do : )

Esteemed Contributor

I tried NS when I was working and my lunch partner wanted to do it.  I lost weight very quickly and was able to do it for about a month or two.  

What I found with the program is that you must be in that mindset.  Once you get to the point where you tell yourself that you cannot eat one more bite of that food, then you are done.

Don't waste your money if you cannot commit to the program.  There are food options on the program that are good, but you are then buying individual products and that can be costly.  If you are going to do that, then sign up on their site and wait for specials.

@proudlyfromNJ, I agree about the mac and cheese.  I usually keep a few in my freezer when I can get it on sale for $2 each.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@acat   The problem with this diet is you spend all this money on their food and then you still have to buy food at the grocery store to add to it.  You are better off with WW.  IMO.    WW has a vegetarian plan.  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I tried it many years ago. I lost weight but the food was not good. IMHO you can buy so many frozen dinners that are low calorie and taste better. Also, there are so many frozen deserts that are low in calories and taste delicious. I buy Enlightened bars, Skinny Cow (ice cream sandwich and ice cream bars). I think you can do the same and the taste and quality will be better. You just need to learn portion control. You can win if you have the mindset and motivation.