Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

Violann: What was your solution to losing weight? You never stated what you did. I think people that are obese have low self esteem and need to find the reason before they obtain success.

I stopped eating added salt, added sugar, dairy and grain.

I built most of my meals on hefty portions of dark green leafy veggies, egg and egg whites, green apples or dark berries, and unsalted raw nuts or unsalted and unsugared almond  butter.

I had been diagnosed as being prehypertensive and prediabetic, and after trials of SEVEN antihypertensive medications and having horrible side effects with each, decided that I could NOT take drugs without cooperating with my body to solve my physical problems.

Socially, I wanted to be the healthiest, jazziest grandma a grandchild could ever have, and I couldn't be at my starting weight. 

I decided that it was too hard to lose 85 pounds, so I lost one pound 85 times. It took me about ten months.

The fee for my long term care insurance has been cut drastically. I am now planning to drop about 20 pounds more, using the same strategies.

I lost the weight this way. All of my blood work is now in the normal range. I personally did not suffer from doing what I did. I enjoyed it. I would NEVER SUGGEST that someone do as I did, because I believe using someone else's solution is not owning your OWN. 

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@elated wrote:

Violann: What was your solution to losing weight? You never stated what you did. I think people that are obese have low self esteem and need to find the reason before they obtain success.

I stopped eating added salt, added sugar, dairy and grain.

I built most of my meals on hefty portions of dark green leafy veggies, egg and egg whites, green apples or dark berries, and unsalted raw nuts or unsalted and unsugared almond  butter.

I had been diagnosed as being prehypertensive and prediabetic, and after trials of SEVEN antihypertensive medications and having horrible side effects with each, decided that I could NOT take drugs without cooperating with my body to solve my physical problems.

Socially, I wanted to be the healthiest, jazziest grandma a grandchild could ever have, and I couldn't be at my starting weight. 

I decided that it was too hard to lose 85 pounds, so I lost one pound 85 times. It took me about ten months.

The fee for my long term care insurance has been cut drastically. I am now planning to drop about 20 pounds more, using the same strategies.

I lost the weight this way. All of my blood work is now in the normal range. I personally did not suffer from doing what I did. I enjoyed it. I would NEVER SUGGEST that someone do as I did, because I believe using someone else's solution is not owning your OWN. 

@violann, I know that you didn't write this reply in order to elicit congratulations, but I am going to congratulate you all the same.

I wish you continued success. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I think what you did is admirable. I wish you much success. You took control of your life and moved forward.

Super Contributor

I wish they had a gluten free program Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

Re: Nutrisystem TSV 1/1/17

[ Edited ]

I did buy the system. I am away from home about 11 hours most weekdays and do some volunteer work on the weekends. I hate to cook and have very little time for it. This system is healthier than what I am doing now. If I can get some weight off and start feeling more energetic, I may move on to healthier programs. 

I will definitely keep the greens, eggs and berries in mind, especially if I hate the packaged food. 

Honored Contributor

I'm considering ordering just the shakes.

Does anyone know how to prepare the shake?

Is it just add water?

Do you need to use a blender or can it be prepared by hand?

Honored Contributor

You can't always assume people who buy the wrong food know what they are doing.   I consider myself fairly well educated and I've had some misconceptions about food.   It may be easy for you,, but it's not easy for everyone.     The "obese" people you see making bad choices eat the way they learned to eat.  I live in the South, in an area doctors call "the stroke belt"    There have been program after program after program to try to educate people about healthy eating.    Bad habits & cultural preferences are hard to break.    Your stereotype was inappropriate & ignorant.

@elated wrote:

Violann:

But I know some people who are successful with many different plans, because they have researched and found out why they are obese and what they need to do to change.

I may have used too many "just" but are you telling me people don't know why they are obese. I hope you are joking. If you eat gallons of ice cream, bags of chips, fast food and sweets and junk food, no research or diet plan is going to help change your way of eating. Common sense and reality will lead you to success. I see people in the grocery store that are obese and their grocery carts are filled with junk food. Surely, they know that is not healthy eating or maybe they don't want to take the time to cook healthy. If people don't know that pizza and shakes are not healthy, this plan will not help. Portion control is important. Please give people more credit. Carolyn said she has tried many diet plans and they have not worked. Now she is touting this plan. She has said she has a personal trainer. She has access to many plans and she is still struggling.

Esteemed Contributor

Anyone that calls someone ignorant is uneducated and needs to rethink their lifestyle. Just because people live in a certain area in our country does not mean they are unaware what is healthy. If you see you are becoming overweight, you must know that eating the wrong food is causing this increase. No one is that uninformed.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Nutrisystem TSV 1/1/17

[ Edited ]

There are a number of reasons people are overweight. Unless you are walking in their shoes, you can't be certain what they are. How about we try kindness and compassion instead of judgment in 2017?

BTW, this statement is general and not directed at anyone. During one of the many nutrisystem shows yesterday a caller said she was motivated to try the system because someone in a grocery store commented unkindly on her weight. Can you imagine a grown person being that cruel to another individual based on physical appearance? It happens, but it should not.