Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nostalgic Porcelain ChristmasTree

@Q4u wrote:

I have actually looked for one for years on the secondary market....  very difficult to find. Yes, they were around and it seemed as though every houehold had one displayed when I was growing up in the 60's.  Can't say when they first came out but they had a cord attached.

I am almost ready to buy at least the large TSV and have it in my cart and am hesitating because it's just so plain.  Even the mold for it doesn't give it much definition.  In that I mean it has thick branch ends and a thick non-descript stand.  I was hoping to find one with more ceramic definition (like the old ones) and some snow on it and a few more decorations.... I guess I'm talking myself out of it because it's just mediocre in design.... IMHO..., and I'm disappointed I feel this way.  Woman Sad 

------------------------------

I made the same observation ...though a nice item, it is too squared off for my liking.  I wish the tree branches had more "branch" impressions.  And the shape of the star on top is a bit weird.

Overall, too cubical/geometric looking....

Respected Contributor

@corita wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

I have actually looked for one for years on the secondary market....  very difficult to find. Yes, they were around and it seemed as though every houehold had one displayed when I was growing up in the 60's.  Can't say when they first came out but they had a cord attached.

I am almost ready to buy at least the large TSV and have it in my cart and am hesitating because it's just so plain.  Even the mold for it doesn't give it much definition.  In that I mean it has thick branch ends and a thick non-descript stand.  I was hoping to find one with more ceramic definition (like the old ones) and some snow on it and a few more decorations.... I guess I'm talking myself out of it because it's just mediocre in design.... IMHO..., and I'm disappointed I feel this way.  Woman Sad 

------------------------------

I made the same observation ...though a nice item, it is too squared off for my liking.  I wish the tree branches had more "branch" impressions.  And the shape of the star on top is a bit weird.

Overall, too cubical/geometric looking....

I'm on the 'fence' about the large and small trees as well...the shape, kinda plain and not much dimension, also thinking the lights aren't bright enough on the green trees when lit at night.

Honored Contributor

@gmkb

My grandmother gave me one, which I tossed b/c I didn't think replacement bulbs were available. They are but it's gone now so, a green one is on its way to our DGCs today!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

My mom had these made for her by a neighborhood friend who was doing a ceramics class. She had three of them and they sit on a separate base with a bulb. Every year since the 1970s, she would put them in her  "bay" window. This is our first Christmas without our mom, and we will lovingly place them in her window for my dad. No matter how old the decorations were, she brought them out lovingly every year. Gosh, I miss her.

Trusted Contributor

I have three trees like this that I purchased on Ebay.  All three are from the 60's.  Two are green, one plain & one with snow-tipped branches both with the traditional bulbs but my favorite is the ivory one. I keep that one out year-round because instead of the traditional bulbs it has little plastic birds that fit into the openings.  The birds are all different colors but it also came with a baggie of all blue birds (which is really pretty in Spring).  I do keep looking at the TSV because I like the idea of placing it on a coffee table due to it being battery operated, and I really like the smaller ones.  I don't know if I can justify getting more when I already have three, though...  :-)

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Am I the only person who has never grown up or seen this nostalgic table top tree before?  I cannot attest to remembering everything about my childhood, but I've never even heard of this tree before. 

Seems to bring lovely memories.

I also don't remember seeing this tree growing up. I did receive one as a Christmas gift from a co-worker in 1977.  She made it in ceramics class, it's about 7", two pieces base and tree, plug in.  One of my favorite Christmas decorations.  It's in storage and far far away🙍...thinking about purchasing the TSV, but just not liking it as much as I want to.

Honored Contributor

I've always admired the vintage ones I've seen throughout the years.  Haven't ordered yet.  White or Green?  I've been hesitating, but also thinking that hadn't I seen the more defined branches all of these years, I would have ordered immediately.  Also, the price is very good, and the battery feature is good, S&H isn't too-too high for the weight of the item(s), etc.  imo.  Well, I have time to think about it, as both colors appeal to me.  Whichever color is available, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

I actually love them.  I have a 12" white one that I made and my mother has a larger green one that we made in ceramics class.  Lots of work.  Love these!  I purchased two small sets - one green and one white.  Love the idea of battery operated with timer!

Honored Contributor

Beeweaver:  Yes, I forgot about the timer feature.  That is very, very handy!  It would be a nice night-light, too.  The LED bulbs wouldn't overheat and eventually crackle the porcelain. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I fell in love with these!  I ordered 14" in both the green and the white, and the set of 7" in the green.  My grandmother had one and I loved it....even after the light stopped working it still looked great.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G