Honored Contributor

Nostalgic Porcelain ChristmasTree

Am I the only person who has never grown up or seen this nostalgic table top tree before?  I cannot attest to remembering everything about my childhood, but I've never even heard of this tree before. 

Seems to bring lovely memories.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Nostalgic Porcelain ChristmasTree

No - you're not the only one - I've never grown up either!!

And no plans to in the near future. Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

No, your not alone...untill the Q. started selling these trees I never seen them before...I am 74 and we didn't have this nostalgic tree in our home...

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can get these same ones only better quality/design at Vermont Country Store. And theirs are Made in the USA.

Honored Contributor

I have actually looked for one for years on the secondary market....  very difficult to find. Yes, they were around and it seemed as though every houehold had one displayed when I was growing up in the 60's.  Can't say when they first came out but they had a cord attached.

I am almost ready to buy at least the large TSV and have it in my cart and am hesitating because it's just so plain.  Even the mold for it doesn't give it much definition.  In that I mean it has thick branch ends and a thick non-descript stand.  I was hoping to find one with more ceramic definition (like the old ones) and some snow on it and a few more decorations.... I guess I'm talking myself out of it because it's just mediocre in design.... IMHO..., and I'm disappointed I feel this way.  Woman Sad 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@FleurFairy wrote:

You can get these same ones only better quality/design at Vermount Country Store. And theirs are Made in the USA.

THANK YOU for the Tip!  Will go and look..... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Regular Contributor

LOL-My husband made one of these when he took a ceramics class about 30 years ago!  His mother kept it and she still puts it out every Christmas.  The one he made is very pretty-it's bigger/taller and has more lights on it.

Honored Contributor

If you mean the one in the picture put out by the Q, I got one last year, and we both remembered our folks having one. His did anyway. I remembered them.

Honored Contributor

While my parents didn't have one when I was growing up, I was well aware of them. And when I was first married (early 80's) my husband had a friend make me a beautiful one for a gift. It has a music box and the 'lights' are actually poinsettia leaves.

Then a couple of years ago, my then teen son bought me a white one with red lights that is dated from back in the 70's.

People either love these or hate them. They are all the rage again for those decorating in the Mid Century Modern designs, and the older originals sell for pretty good money on ebay or at thrift stores.

These offered as the TSV are horrible, in my opinion. They look cheap and the lights are too big for the trees (not to mention the colors are rather bright). They didn't do a very good job of trying to make them look like the old ones.

If you've never seen them, a look on ebay or Etsy will show how really beautiful some of the older ones were that people 'flocked' and created with much more detailed greenware and painting techniques.  And the various styles and sizes of bulbs and other types of inserts available for these makes me wonder why these TSV ones are so plain and unattractive. They really could have done this so much better.

Valued Contributor

I have been wanting these small trees to give to my now grown up daughters.  Their grandma, my Mom, made each girl a small white one in ceramics class years ago, and my girls loved them.

Of course I somehow lost them during multiple moves over the years and now my girls want them for their children.

But I don't want Chinese imports! 

One poster mentioned Vermont Country store but I didn't find them there on-line.  Any one know where I can find American made ones? TIA