Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nostalgic Porcelain ChristmasTree

@pegsue wrote:

LOL-My husband made one of these when he took a ceramics class about 30 years ago!  His mother kept it and she still puts it out every Christmas.  The one he made is very pretty-it's bigger/taller and has more lights on it.

I also made one in the 70s in ceramics class!!  Good grief, are they back??  Mine is in the closet, haven't taken it out in years, maybe decades.  It is green with many multi color lights, much larger than the TSV.  Talk about a blast from the past!!

Trusted Contributor

Gosh, I've been on the fence all day. But I can barely see the lights in the presentation they're doing now, except for the star at the top? What if the batteries only last 16-24 hours? I can't take that chance. 

Regular Contributor

I have three of the originals.  I have one small one and two large ones.  (When my mother passed I inherited her large on; that is why I have two.)

Respected Contributor

Fond Memory

I have one of the trees from the 1960's given to me by my now deceased mother.  I store it in the original box that has my mother's handwriting on it and the address on the box is Pittsburgh 22, Pa.  It was before zip codes when the post office used zones (22).  I also have one in white that I made in ceramics class in the 1970's.  The trees are truly nostalgic for me!

Esteemed Contributor

My  mother has a white one that my grandmother made back in 1970 . It is,uch larger then the TSV and has a lot more definition and has snow on tne ends of every branch.  It has white lights which I love.  It will be mine someday, but for now I enjoy it when visiting my mom.   I wish they had made the TSV nicer even if it had yo be more costly ,I feel it would be worth it.

Honored Contributor

I also made one of these in a ceramics class many years ago.  Mine is white, two piece, and has a lot more detail to it.  there is a raised poinsettia on the base, and details on the branches.  

I'm glad I have the one I have, and it has survived so many years and moves!

Esteemed Contributor

I have my Mom and Nana's green ceramic trees that they made in ceramic class when I was a teen. They have more detail and are much nicer than these TSV trees. They have a base where the lightbulb goes in and are electric, and then you set the tree on top of the base. (A few of the bulbs had fallen out of 1 of the trees as the glue dried, but they sell the same tree bulbs on ebay, so I was able to replace them.

Well anyway, the trees are gorgeous, and I still set 1 of them up each Christmas. I will hand these trees down to each of my children. And my Mom and Nana have their names etched in the bottom along with the year they made them.

What I wish I still had is, my Nana's bubble tree. It sat on her desk every year at Christmas. But that is long gone.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Frequent Contributor

I also have one of these. My MIL who has since passed made my husband and I one for our first Christmas together in 1982. She made it in her sisters ceramic shop. It's beautiful and very different as its painted with a white mother of pearl type of paint and has the red cardinals for bulbs. It's the large one with a base that plugs in. I bring it out every Christmas and believe it or not it still has the original bulb in it as its only used about a month out of the year. Something I prize more is the Navity scene she made us another year. She hand chalked it. Anyone familiar with doing this in ceremics? It's beautiful and looks very expensive and professionally done. I'm very very careful with it each year. She made each of her 4 sons and wives a set and at the time said she wouldn't take 1,000 to make another. It was a lot of work and each set has 10 peices in it. We treasure it. I hope anyone who bought the tree TSV enjoys it!
Contributor

I noticed that too about the lights later in the day after I just placed my order.  I'll be sure to check out the battery life once I get them.  I'm not changing batteries weekly or daily for these.  They will go right back.

Trusted Contributor

Wow - the price today is only $1.50 more than the TSV price. Wow.  That's not much of a "special value." Woman Indifferent

And there appears to be plenty still available.  I'll be interested in the reviews.  I really liked the look of them and had the big one and small ones in my cart, but decided not to order due to the fact that the lights seemed to really dim as the day went on, especially on the green tree.