Honored Contributor

Re: Northern Nights TSV Sheet Set - Do you use a flat sheet?

Some trends IMO are just weird and no top sheet is one of them.  

I think it is a ploy by the sheet companies to not sell sets anymore, but sell everything separate so they can charge more for each piece.  So they are convincing the public that you dont need a top sheet.  Believe me there is a reason behind it and it as to do with company profits!!!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

For many years: During the Fall/Winter months, use Vellux and micro-fleece type of blankets instead of flat sheets. 

Those soft, smooth micro-fleece type of blankets are very light, breathable, warm-ish without being heavy or too hot/warm. 

When washing them, make sure that you don't wash and dry with other items.  Just one blanket at a time.  They dry very fast on a Low setting. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

I stopped using flat sheets on my kids beds when they were little about 20 years ago and for my husband and I about 10 years ago.  It is so much easier to make the beds and there's no fighting for your share of the sheet.  My husband and I have separate blankets we spread on top of the bed with the comforter/quilt tri-folded at the bottom of the bed.  I wash the blankets everytime I wash the sheets.  Even though I asked, my kids never wanted the flat sheet back.  I also wish I could buy just the fitted sheet and pillowcases.  

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Some trends IMO are just weird and no top sheet is one of them.  

I think it is a ploy by the sheet companies to not sell sets anymore, but sell everything separate so they can charge more for each piece.  So they are convincing the public that you dont need a top sheet.  Believe me there is a reason behind it and it as to do with company profits!!!

@Imaoldhippie  I've been buying my sheets separately for years. I think it's been BB&B where I bought them. Never had a problem purchasing like that around here. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I often sleep under only a sheet, and think it's sort of nasty to only use a top bedding piece since you don't wash it as often probably as your sheets.

What's wrong with people?  Woman Frustrated  Just pile up on the floor in the dirty sweat clothes you've worn everywhere that day and call it a night.  Woman Embarassed

Esteemed Contributor

I do use a top sheet and a down comforter encased in a duvet.  Wrangling that heavy comforter back into the cover every week so I can wash the duvet is not an option.

A few extra minutes smoothing out the top sheet is worth it.

Regular Contributor

Too funny........but I bet you aren't far from the truth. I read a article not to long ago that said many people wash their bed sheets less than once a month. I was stunned. 

Trusted Contributor

I guess if you're confy without, that's ok but there is problem laundering...

However, I have to have a flat sheet/top sheet next to my skin while sleeping in a bed.  

Esteemed Contributor

Even though I don't use a top sheeet I don't have to wash a quilt or comforter very often (usually only if a kitty gets sick on it or I want to put a different one on because I don't need use them for warmth, only for the top of the bed. I just fold it up at the foot of the bed at night and use a throw for my blanket. Don't need much more than that in Arizona even in winter. No flannel sheets either. 

Respected Contributor

During the summer I sleep under a lightweight bedspread on top of my flat sheet. In the winter, I change over to a fleece set and I sleep under the flat sheet.