Regular Contributor

Northern Nights TSV Sheet Set - Do you use a flat sheet?

Linda Davies said the new "trend" in bedding is not using the flat sheet when making the bed. I was wondering how you feel about this. Seems like this would require laundering the blanket or duvet each time I wash the fitted sheet (which is often because I like sleeping on fresh sheets).

Frequent Contributor

Re: Northern Nights TSV Sheet Set - Do you use a flat sheet?

I always use a flat sheet...I don't want to wash my blankets/comforter every time I do sheets (weekly) plus it keeps me warm in the winter and is frequently the only covering in the summer. 

Trusted Contributor

@nascarfan  I need a flat sheet.  I get hot sometimes and don't want all the covers but still need a "cover".  Plus like it was mentioned I don't want to keep washing my comforter every time I change my sheets.  

Respected Contributor

Yes, I use a flat sheet. Since it is cold we have flat sheet, quilt, and blanket. 

Respected Contributor

Well that is just a ridiculous "trend" and I always use a flat sheet.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Never even thought about NOT using a flat sheet.  My grandkids and stepdaughter do not use flat sheets - I think that is just odd.

Super Contributor

Have been married 44 years and have never used a top sheet. A cotton quilt is all we need. The way we sleep a top sheet always got tangle up so off it went!

Frequent Contributor

I know of two young women in their 20s who don't use sheets at all - just a bare mattress and a comforter. I'm sorry, but that's just weird and nasty. 

So what is it with this trend of fewer or no sheets - especially with younger people?

Respected Contributor

We quit using a flat sheet early this year---just sleep under the comforter, which is plenty warm most of the time, even though it's not real thick. If we do get cold, there are extra blankets. I wash it the same day I wash my sheets, then put it all back on the bed.

It's so much easier to make the bed now...just smooth the bottom sheet, pull up the comforter, toss the pillows on the bed and done! No more having to tuck the flat sheet in on the sides because it was hanging out from under the comforter.

We have a king size bed, and I just recently bought a California King bedspread...what a difference those few inches make! We no longer fight over the covers, and we stay warmer.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't used a flat sheet in a long time. I don't use a comforter for warmth only as a bed cover so I wash it every few months. We only need  a lightweight throw. It's not cold enough (Arizona) for blankets so I just use a throw from Kohls to keep warm. Most of the time from February through December we have a fan on but still don't need heavy covers. In summer they work too. I wash the throws every couple of weeks. I wash my sheets weekly.