Valued Contributor

Northern Nights TSV H213111 for Dec. 20

[ Edited ]

I see they are having a TSV on Northern Nights sheets.  This set is for 800 thread count cotton with wrinkle defense for $89.96.   I always say my favorite sheets that I own currently are NN 700 TC with wrinkle defense because they are silky soft, really the softest sheets I have ever had.  They launder easily too.  So all things being equal, these 800 TC sheets should be as good if not better.  Not sure if I will get anything since I already own 8 different colors but at that price I might consider a generic white or ivory for my "collection".

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Northern Nights TSV H213111 for Dec. 20

800 thread ct certainly not my favorite  (plus 100% cotton).  Just returned 2 sets unopened to Q after reading several unhappy reviews - wrinkles wrinkles wrinkles.  300 ct mixed blend my fav.

Regular Contributor

I don't understand why a Twin sheet set costs the same as a King sheet set.

$90 for a Twin set is going to be a hard sell....seems like this is only a value for those with a King or Cal King bed.

Trusted Contributor

Does anyone know HOW they make the "wrinkle defense" capability of these sheets?  I have never heard them give a clear explanation.  I just heard Linda say something like "it is integral to the fabric," but I don't know what that means.

My concern is that the fabric or the threads are treated with chemicals, so I have never purchased them.

Respected Contributor

The dull, depressing colors don't work for us. I gave yet to see any northern night sheets that we would like. 

Valued Contributor

@Thisismynickname wrote:

Does anyone know HOW they make the "wrinkle defense" capability of these sheets?  I have never heard them give a clear explanation.  I just heard Linda say something like "it is integral to the fabric," but I don't know what that means.

My concern is that the fabric or the threads are treated with chemicals, so I have never purchased them.

All-cotton fabrics that are touted as wrinkle-free have been treated with chemicals that release formaldehyde. Here's a discussion of the issues:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/11/your-money/11wrinkle.html

And here:

http://www.momscleanairforce.org/wrinkle-free-formaldehyde/

As much as I love all-cotton sheets I'll pass on anything advertised as wrinkle-free.

Honored Contributor

@laraffinee wrote:

I don't understand why a Twin sheet set costs the same as a King sheet set.

$90 for a Twin set is going to be a hard sell....seems like this is only a value for those with a King or Cal King bed.

it is a good buy, as I got a new set of king sheets this year.

IMO if they priced  each size differently which is appropriate,  customers would complain on the bigger sizes.  

Regular Contributor

@jackthebear Yes, it may be a good value for King size, but not so much for anything smaller.

Wrinkle free sheets do use some kind of resin to create that feature, and there are various kinds that are used. Not all release formaldehyde and I am pretty sure there are 
"green" versions of the resin that is used to make sheets wrinkle free. Don't know what Northern Nights uses though.

Respected Contributor

I don't care for the colors. Why not have some with pretty patterns for a change? Plus, it's winter time. I certainly don't want cold cotton sheets on my bed in the winter. Would rather they offer some cozy flannel or even fleece ones.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for your responses @AuntMame and @laraffinee.   Either way, those treatments don't sound good.  I don't mind wrinkles in my sheets!