Reply
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,643
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@IG wrote:

Guess it doesn't bother you about the negative press concerning this company buying coffee from farms using child labor? The children work long hours for very little money.

 

It's been in the news, but here is just one article:

 

 Edited out link it had political sidebars


@IG So I suppose you buy nothing from India, China, Africa  or a number of other countries?  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,137
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Sooner wrote:

@IG wrote:

Guess it doesn't bother you about the negative press concerning this company buying coffee from farms using child labor? The children work long hours for very little money.

 

It's been in the news, but here is just one article:

 

 Edited out link it had political sidebars


@IG So I suppose you buy nothing from India, China, Africa  or a number of other countries?  


 

 

@Sooner   I posted Nespresso's full statement regarding this information in message #10 in this thread, post right before yours.  I hadn't heard anything about this, so I Googled it.

My little dog, a heartbeat at my feet. —Edith Wharton
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.--Colette





Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,643
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@NickNack wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@IG wrote:

Guess it doesn't bother you about the negative press concerning this company buying coffee from farms using child labor? The children work long hours for very little money.

 

It's been in the news, but here is just one article:

 

 Edited out link it had political sidebars


@IG So I suppose you buy nothing from India, China, Africa  or a number of other countries?  


 

 

@Sooner   I posted Nespresso's full statement regarding this information in message #10 in this thread, post right before yours.  I hadn't heard anything about this, so I Googled it.


@NickNack I am glad you did that. I have bought from Nespresso for many years and I can say that they have been wonderful to me as a customer. I feel sure they are not involved in child labor on purpose.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,413
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Sooner wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@IG wrote:

Guess it doesn't bother you about the negative press concerning this company buying coffee from farms using child labor? The children work long hours for very little money.

 

It's been in the news, but here is just one article:

 

 Edited out link it had political sidebars


@IG So I suppose you buy nothing from India, China, Africa  or a number of other countries?  


 

 

@Sooner   I posted Nespresso's full statement regarding this information in message #10 in this thread, post right before yours.  I hadn't heard anything about this, so I Googled it.


@NickNack I am glad you did that. I have bought from Nespresso for many years and I can say that they have been wonderful to me as a customer. I feel sure they are not involved in child labor on purpose.


@Sooner 

 

So because they have given you "good customer service, you feel sure they are not involved in child labor on purpose"....are you serious????

 

One thing has nothing to do with the other!

 

Enjoy your coffee from the sweat off a child's back, because after all, "they gave you good customer service", LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,643
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@IG No. I am saying I can't police every company I deal with world wide. I also don't believe everything I read or jump to conclusions about what I read being accurate.

 

I am saying that from my dealings with them, I am happy with the company and see no reason to quit them because I am pretty sure they are way more responsible then the thousand other overseas vendors I buy from and know nothing about.  

 

 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,024
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@NickNack wrote:

@gigy wrote:

I am glad you brought this to my attention, I appreciate that and I do not condone child labor in any situation and for nay company. I will cancel my order with this new machine and I hope dearly that both Starbucks (which I do not support) and Nespresso will look into this matter. I have to question Krups company as well?


 

 

@gigy  and everyone else concerned about the child labor.  Here is Nespresso's full statement addressing that.

 

‘Nespresso has zero tolerance of child labour. It is unacceptable. Where there are claims that our high standards are not met, we act immediately. In this case, we were informed by a UK media outlet that they had identified instances of child labor on six farms in a region of Guatemala.

 

‘The media outlet refused to provide us with the details of the farms so that we could confirm whether they supplied Nespresso and immediately address these allegations. However, we have launched a thorough investigation and taken a number of actions.

 

‘First and foremost, we have immediately stopped purchases of coffee from all farms in the region and we will not resume purchases until we are able to investigate and be assured that child labour is not being used.

 

‘Through the investigation, any issues we uncover will be dealt with diligently and firm action will be taken. ‘We will also double the number of agronomists that we have on the ground in the region and we will implement unannounced visits to check on compliance on social and labour issues.

 

‘All of these actions are on top of our ongoing direct work with farmers and partners in the region and around the world. ‘We work with Rainforest Alliance and Fairtrade International to reinforce good working practices and fair treatment of workers, including education on the risks of child labour.

 

‘In fact, all of the farms in the cooperatives in this region of Guatemala are Rainforest Alliance and Fairtrade certified. ‘We invest heavily in this effort; in 2019, our 400 agronomists made over 170,000 farm visits and trainings across the world, including 60,000 detailed on farm sustainability assessments.

 

‘This was backed up by more than 3,300 third party verification farm audits.

 

‘We will continue to do all we can to stamp child labour out. It has no place in our supply chain.

 

‘We are extremely concerned by the allegations made and take them very seriously. We are making significant efforts to address child labor and protect the children in the coffee farming communities we work with, and we will continue to do so.’

 

 


Thank you Nick Nack for this post, very much aprreciated and I think Nespresso is handling this crisis properly.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,612
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

I received my Nespresso TSV today and came across this thread today.

 

I've gone through the cleaning cycle and made the first cup.  I do like the crema it adds.  It's nice and hot, too.  It's attractive, doesn't take up much space, light in weight, and easy to operate.

I'm looking forward to using the frother.  

 

Typically I make drip coffee and I have a hand frother that works rather well for times I'm in the mood for that. I expect I'll still make drip coffee more often.

 

The cup in this picture is topped with hand-frothed milk and is from a few years ago.   I hope some of you post pics of coffee topped with frothed milk (of whatever type) from your new Nespresso TSV.

cappuccino.jpg

Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,643
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@IG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@IG wrote:

Guess it doesn't bother you about the negative press concerning this company buying coffee from farms using child labor? The children work long hours for very little money.

 

It's been in the news, but here is just one article:

 

 Edited out link it had political sidebars


@IG So I suppose you buy nothing from India, China, Africa  or a number of other countries?  


 

 

@Sooner   I posted Nespresso's full statement regarding this information in message #10 in this thread, post right before yours.  I hadn't heard anything about this, so I Googled it.


@NickNack I am glad you did that. I have bought from Nespresso for many years and I can say that they have been wonderful to me as a customer. I feel sure they are not involved in child labor on purpose.


@Sooner 

 

So because they have given you "good customer service, you feel sure they are not involved in child labor on purpose"....are you serious????

 

One thing has nothing to do with the other!

 

Enjoy your coffee from the sweat off a child's back, because after all, "they gave you good customer service", LOL!


ANYONE who buys ANYTHING labeled "Made in China" and a lot of other countries is buying that and we all know it.  SO are you totally American bought?  I highly doubt it. 

 

I hope your high horse is well fed.