Trusted Contributor

I am happy to see that QVC finally got their act together and offered a Nespresso machine TSV. I have had one of the original machines for over 15 years and it still works great. The coffee is so much better the Krups.

Honored Contributor

Re: Nespresso TSV

[ Edited ]

Guess it doesn't bother you about the negative press concerning this company buying coffee from farms using child labor? The children work long hours for very little money.

It's been in the news, but here is just one article:

Edited out link it had political sidebars

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I am glad you brought this to my attention, I appreciate that and I do not condone child labor in any situation and for nay company. I will cancel my order with this new machine and I hope dearly that both Starbucks (which I do not support) and Nespresso will look into this matter. I have to question Krups company as well?

Esteemed Contributor

I reçeived a Nespresso machine as a gift a couple of years ago and I enjoyed using it UNTIL I read about the child labor abuses. Apparently George Clooney didn't know about it until recently. I haven't used the machine since I heard about what Nespresso was up to.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Guess it doesn't bother you about the negative press concerning this company buying coffee from farms using child labor? The children work long hours for very little money.

It's been in the news, but here is just one article:

Edited out link it had political sidebars

@Alice-QVC 

So sorry! I didn't notice the political sidebars and I removed that same link on another thread about Nespresso!

I'll be more careful about political sidebars on links in the future!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Contributor

I just bought the Nespresso at Bed Bath & Beyond. Had no idea about child labor.

just to let anyone know the coffee has to be microwaved as it does not get the coffee as hot as the Keurig.  I am thinking about purchasing another Keurig.  Am a little disappointed in this coffee machine. I have not used the frother  that comes withi it.

A variety of coffees but have to keep referring to the box the coffee capsules come in to explain  about the coffee . I see reviews that people are happy with the machine. I am not one of those people

Honored Contributor

@kathy213 

I hate microwaved coffee, it changes the taste  immensely to me, makes it taste like caramel to my taste buds!

Respected Contributor

The demo totally confuses me.....seems like a lot of work.. anyway, no child labor allowed now that I read that on here.....uffffff so sad.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

I do not condone child labor.  However, there exist American communities where child labor is evident.  I live in a northeastern state with many population centers of Amish and Mennonite groups.  Children as young as six go on construction jobs with their parents and older siblings.  These children, yes, as young as six-years-old, do manual labor, including dangerous jobs like using power tools.  They stay up as late as midnight.  I kid you not.  Somehow, the labor laws do not apply to these special groups.  It is common knowledge and no one protests. The Amish and Mennonite groups do good quality work and are frequently hired for construction jobs by non-Amish and non-Mennonite American citizens.  Again, this is common in the region where I live. 

Honored Contributor

@gigy wrote:

I am glad you brought this to my attention, I appreciate that and I do not condone child labor in any situation and for nay company. I will cancel my order with this new machine and I hope dearly that both Starbucks (which I do not support) and Nespresso will look into this matter. I have to question Krups company as well?

@gigy  and everyone else concerned about the child labor.  Here is Nespresso's full statement addressing that.

‘Nespresso has zero tolerance of child labour. It is unacceptable. Where there are claims that our high standards are not met, we act immediately. In this case, we were informed by a UK media outlet that they had identified instances of child labor on six farms in a region of Guatemala.

‘The media outlet refused to provide us with the details of the farms so that we could confirm whether they supplied Nespresso and immediately address these allegations. However, we have launched a thorough investigation and taken a number of actions.

‘First and foremost, we have immediately stopped purchases of coffee from all farms in the region and we will not resume purchases until we are able to investigate and be assured that child labour is not being used.

‘Through the investigation, any issues we uncover will be dealt with diligently and firm action will be taken. ‘We will also double the number of agronomists that we have on the ground in the region and we will implement unannounced visits to check on compliance on social and labour issues.

‘All of these actions are on top of our ongoing direct work with farmers and partners in the region and around the world. ‘We work with Rainforest Alliance and Fairtrade International to reinforce good working practices and fair treatment of workers, including education on the risks of child labour.

‘In fact, all of the farms in the cooperatives in this region of Guatemala are Rainforest Alliance and Fairtrade certified. ‘We invest heavily in this effort; in 2019, our 400 agronomists made over 170,000 farm visits and trainings across the world, including 60,000 detailed on farm sustainability assessments.

‘This was backed up by more than 3,300 third party verification farm audits.

‘We will continue to do all we can to stamp child labour out. It has no place in our supply chain.

‘We are extremely concerned by the allegations made and take them very seriously. We are making significant efforts to address child labor and protect the children in the coffee farming communities we work with, and we will continue to do so.’

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau