Honored Contributor

I noticed TracFone is the TSV again. We purchased during the last TSV (which seems like it was just weeks ago), and I have to say, we were less than impressed (and that is being very kind).

The phones would not charge completely. 

Their customer service appears to be overseas, and the language barrier was horrible to deal with.

They promise you can keep your number, but TracFone couldn't make that work for us. 

We ended up returning and staying with Verizon. It was way too much trouble trying to make it work with TracFone. The worst part was the customer service. Never again.

Honored Contributor

Re: My TracFone experience

[ Edited ]

My Tracfone experience has always been the opposite and my DH and I wouldn't have anything else.  Been with Tracfone for 15 years now.

We bought the last TSV (the Premier).  Had absolutely no trouble transferring from our previous phones to the new ones and we love them.

It's good that we have choices, so everyone can find something that works for them.  I'd say today's TSV looks like a very good deal and it has the latest OS, too.

(ETA:  My SIL switched from a Verizon contract phone to Tracfone at the end of last year.  It was her first smartphone, but she managed the transfer all on her own.  Took her existing number with her and didn't have a problem.)

Honored Contributor

I have had tracfones for many years and while I have had some issues in the early years of tracfone that were resolved satisfactorily, I have had no problems whatsoever for the past 8-10 years at least.  I have had several phones (no problems with any of them) and set up was simple - keeping my phone # and transferring minutes.  I have better coverage than many who have expensive contracts and there have been times when my tracfone was the only phone that had coverage in certain areas while traveling.  

Super Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I have had tracfones for many years and while I have had some issues in the early years of tracfone that were resolved satisfactorily, I have had no problems whatsoever for the past 8-10 years at least.  I have had several phones (no problems with any of them) and set up was simple - keeping my phone # and transferring minutes.  I have better coverage than many who have expensive contracts and there have been times when my tracfone was the only phone that had coverage in certain areas while traveling.  

@PookWe consider your comments and we always welcome the opinions you express regarding our quality, technical procedures, products and overall service. Rest assured that we are doing our best to provide you the best service possible and we are continuously working on improving and expanding our products and services. ^Tiffany

Valued Contributor

Re: My TracFone experience

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I noticed TracFone is the TSV again. We purchased during the last TSV (which seems like it was just weeks ago), and I have to say, we were less than impressed (and that is being very kind).

Their customer service appears to be overseas, and the language barrier was horrible to deal with.

They promise you can keep your number, but TracFone couldn't make that work for us. 

We ended up returning and staying with Verizon. It was way too much trouble trying to make it work with TracFone. The worst part was the customer service. Never again.

@Mominohio, I couldn't agree more with your comments! I had a TracFone many years ago when they first came to market. At that time, I just needed a phone for emergency calls only.  Signed up online and never had to speak with a human, so there was never a problem. However, the moment I had to speak to a human about a problem, TracFone failed miserably.  Their "customer support" (and I use that term lightly)—with humans on the phone—is a total joke. Every TracFone user knows it and TracFone will never admit the problem.  When I finally needed a "real" cell phone with real features and functions, and humans who can resolve an issue promptly and professionally 24/7,  I switched to Verizon and have never looked back. So happy to have left TracFone behind forever.  

How long can I keep this phone before I have to activate it?

Contributor

I believe that, as of August 2016, the latest OS is Nougat...and that the Marshmallow OS has been out about a year or so.

I know folks with older Tracfone OS's and they are still working great. They love them.

Yes, it is good that we have choices!

Contributor
I just read a response from a Tracfone Team member, on the TSV product page, that the phone needs to be activated within a year of the purchase date.
Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mominohio, I couldn't agree more with your comments! I had a TracFone many years ago when they first came to market. At that time, I just needed a phone for emergency calls only.  Signed up online and never had to speak with a human, so there was never a problem. However, the moment I had to speak to a human about a problem, TracFone failed miserably.  Their "customer support" (and I use that term lightly)—with humans on the phone—is a total joke. Every TracFone user knows it and TracFone will never admit the problem.  When I finally needed a "real" cell phone with real features and functions, and humans who can resolve an issue promptly and professionally 24/7,  I switched to Verizon and have never looked back. So happy to have left TracFone behind forever.  

@AspenGrove - No, every Tracfone user doesn't know that.  I've already posted that I've never had the issues you or mominohio mention.  You say you only had a Tracfone many years ago, so I doubt you're aware of the great improvements they've made over the years. 

I've called Tracfone in the past and always managed to get any issues resolved, so please don't assume we "all" have problems like you did.

I believe there are millions of Tracfone users - and we can't all be wrong!

Honored Contributor

Sorry it didn't work.  The only activation problems I had were because I didn't follow the directions.  I've called tracfone a number of times and had my issue resilolved quickly.  Between my mother and I, I've activated 10 phones and transferred phone numbers.