Super Contributor

Re: More ripoff dyson junk, really?

We have 2 Dysons that we're happy with. The Oreck we owned before broke in half. Now THAT was a piece of junk.

Respected Contributor

Esmerelda, you said the Shark stick vac doesn't stand by itself. Yes, it does. The top part, where the dust bin is, comes off and hooks low on the sick, above the brush head. That's how I store my Rocket stick vac. It's explained and there are pictures of how to do in the user manual that comes with the product.
Honored Contributor

Could it be that we Dyson lovers are all pet owners? When I used my Dyson Animal vac for the first time, I couldn't believe how much pet hair it picked up! My house looked clean....or maybe I just thought it did.... Then I bought the Dyson hand vac and use that almost every day to clean up the areas where our cat likes to sit. So much faster than using those sticky rollers....and having to go through one at least once a week.
Super Contributor

If Dyson is such junk...then why has EVERY other vacuum maker gone to the same cyclone technology since the patent ran out?

Respected Contributor

I bought the dyson animal dc41, I guess 2 years or so ago, I use it every week and it is fine. It is heavy but it is easy to manuver around. There are some changes I would make to the design but overall, if this lasts I am satisfied. Time will tell. I know others that didnt like theirs so to each his own. I didnt pay full price and would never pay that price for it. I got it for a good price at Kohls.
Respected Contributor

Dp
Super Contributor

On 6/22/2014 cotto22 said:

The stick vacs may not be any good, but my upright is the best vacuum I have ever owned. I have had Hoovers, Orecks and no names and my Dyson is the best. It has made my husband want to vacuum for me, so the thing has magical powers. That is a miracle.

BUYER BEWARE! I was tempted on this but not after reading the reviews. Another tipoff to me is when they say they've "improved" this model! In other words, the previous one was junk.

I have had Hoovers over the years and found them to be the best other than I don't like the way the belts have to be installed and changed. The one I have picks up very well but it is extremely difficult to change the belt. You have to get a screwdriver and remove a plate underneath the machine and then try to manipulate the belt over a pulley and another piece of metal on the side where it is almost impossible to get your fingers there and you have to be very careful not to injure your hand or fingers.

The belt itself on the Wind Tunnel is so taught when new that I've found the ONLY WAY I can even attempt to install a new one is to take it and put it over a doorknob and then use a broomhandle or some other sturdy object to insert on the loose end and STRETCH IT as hard as I can for about ten times! Otherwise, I'd break my hand trying to stretch these belts and can't get enough leverage.

Changing the bags on the Hoover isn't fun but I hate emptying those dust cups such as this Dyson has!

I did purchase a Shark some years ago and that was a complete waste as it was too small and not powerful enough to do even a minimal job. The handle was low and could not be adjusted upwards to a comfortable height.

Several years ago, I ordered an Oreck from QVC that was a little over four hundred dollars! WHAT A RIPOFF! I didn't buy anything else for months after I discovered what a piece of junk this thing is. I still have it and just checked the reviews on it recently when I was considering this DYSON and saw all the negatives that are exactly my experience. I was going to go to the trouble of taking it in for service but not after reading the reviews.

I made the mistake of not opening this Oreck or using it until after the trial period and have done that with several clothing purchases. From now on, I try to open and try everything on at least within the week of it arriving and then promptly return it if I see I don't like it. Otherwise, it is far too easy for 30 days to elapse and then you're stuck.

Read the reviews on this machine here and also Google search for reviews before ordering.

Esteemed Contributor

I have the first Dyson ball vacuum, which at the time, was called the Dyson "Slim". Probably purchased it in '07 for around $400. Works alright - not terribly heavy to carry. Have had it serviced (the service guys hate it). Stuff gets stuck in the "cyclones" and it's a job to clean it. Bought a Riccar for $600 and yes, it had great agitation (better than the Dyson), but it was heavy and the attachment system wasn't ideal (plus not a direct drive, so one side didn't pick up as well). Now have the Shark Rotator and I couldn't be happier. Lots of features/accessories and really grooms the carpet. The floor attachment works great. By the way, all three have the tendency to tip over if the hose is stretched too far. I know many who love the Dyson, and I still keep the little (corded) "Slim" on the upper level, so there you go. It still works, but on a good day, I'd much rather take the Shark up there. And the canister is very easy to clean - no "cyclones". Simple - works. ($250).

Cogito ergo sum
Contributor

We have always had one or two Labrador Retrievers during our 37 years of married life. Until 10 years ago, we always had black labs, whose hair just fell to the floor. Then we got a yellow lab..she so reminds me of "pigpen" on Peanuts! She walks, and you can see hair going "ping, ping ping" off of her, and it floats around, landing on furniture..etc.. We never had to vacuum. Dog hair off the furniture before, and we were always breaking belts, running out of bags, etc. even 10 years ago, it was a leap of faith to plunk down a good chunk of money for a "Animal Ball Dyson". best money we ever spent! ten years and two dogs later, the dyson is still going strong, and we haven't spent one cent on belts or bags, or getting the wrong size and having to return the bags and belts. After my parents passed away and we were getting their home ready to put on the market, I vacuumed the entire house...even though my brother in law had just ran the vacuum. ( mom and dad had a very hairy, long haired car). NO ONE could believe the "stuff" that ended up in the Dyson!! I would recommend the purple animal "ball" Dyson to anyone!! We have NEVER had a problem with it, and it works as good now as it did 10 years ago!
Valued Contributor

I couldn't believe how good a Dyson was until I bought my own. It gets more out of the carpet than any other sweeper I have ever had and I have had Electrolux, Hoover, Kirby, and other sweepers. This sweeper works. I couldn't believe how much it got out of what I thought were very clean carpets. I bought the stick sweeper when it was the Today's Special Value for my hard wood floors and for using in the small places my big Dyson ball sweeper can't get to and I love it. I think it is actually fun to use. I couldn't believe the power it has. Woosh! LOL. It picks up fast. I have three cats and three dogs and I swept up pet hair in places I had no idea had pet hair like under the end tables and under the coach. It's a wonderful product. I found out it needs to be kept charging when I am not using it so am going to hang it up on the wall to store it when I am not using it to keep it charged up. It is just a great little sweeper. I can grab it when I need a small pick up and be sure it will clean well. It's fun!!