Honored Contributor

Re: More ripoff dyson junk, really?

Being made of super strong plastic means Dyson has a great product. Some still think of plastic of being not sturdy and cheap. Plastic in this day and age is not even close to the plastic of years ago when many here were very young. Some need to update their thinking and do some real research before speaking poorly of a product they don't have and probably will never buy.

Frequent Contributor

One vote here - for the Dyson Pull-around animal DC39 ( H284502 ). I tried the stick vac and it was just too heavy for me to lift up - for cleaning above my head. But, with this one, I went online (Amazon) and bought every attachment that didn't come with it plus an extension hose. So far - so good.

Honored Contributor

I'll stick with my Oreck....11 yrs old, light as a feather, and works like new. DH just picked it up at the Oreck store after its tuneup.....they repair all brands of vacuums and the guy told DH they get more Dyson vacs than other brands to fix.

Esteemed Contributor

I would not repurchase if I had to do it all over again. I have one of the later DC models that is considered from the "Animal" class. It's heavy, the hose is difficult to use and on top of that I could just slap myself for paying as much as I did for this unit when I could have purchased a Shark that has excellent reviews and is about 1/2 the cost of my Dyson.

Honored Contributor

Dysons do not get good ratings in Consumer Digest. They aren't even in the top 5. My SIL loves her. My aunt's broke after 3 months, she had it repaired and it broke again a month later, she had it repaired and it broke again so she junked it.

I've never paid more than $100.00 dollars for a vacuum cleaner and I've not had 1 break on me yet. I replaced 2 of my vacuums that I've had since I got married 23 years ago because they still had bags and I wanted the HEPA filter. I then replaced that one because I wanted one that had washable filters, not ones that had to be replaced.

So much for the "jokes" about the $100.00 or less vacuums breaking. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

New Contributor

I am hoping for the best here.... I did order the Dyson Animal DC44 when it was the TSV a few weeks ago. It worked out of the box because it was charged.... but now the battery charger is simply not working. I called Customer Service and spoke to a very nice rep... I thought the simplest thing to do was just have them send me a new charger (it's very small package). They will call me if they cannot do that... then she offered sending a whole new vacuum.

I even tried several wall outlets in case one was ""dead""... next morning still no charge in vacuum.. I will say I was impressed with how it picked up kitty litter and dust on hard flooring... I agree with others who say using it a lot to do small jobs beats doing one Big job with a corded vac (I have a corded Shark Navigator but it isn't picking up so well after only two years.) I hadn't had a chance to try any of the other attachments yet.

To those who have the DC44 and whose charger works... I am guessing that the little green light stays ON the whole time it's charging? My first clue that something was wrong is that the light went out within 10 seconds of plugging in....

Trusted Contributor

On 6/22/2014 katiescarlett said:
On 6/22/2014 Cookie06 said:

I guess that only lasting 5-6 years is ok when you have paid such a huge price for a vacuum? Wink

I had a Eureka that lasted 30 years. Bought an Electrolux canister - piece of junk, definitely not my mother's Electrolux!

I had a Hoover canister that was my Mom's that was about 35 years old when it finally gave up. Older vacuums were made MUCH BETTER, stronger, and of metal (and in the USA too)...they were made to last....not like today where everything is disposable in 5-10 years.

I still stand by my Dyson. Sure it's high, but you get what you pay for.

I have bought them all over the years...Shark, Eureka, Hoover, Dirt Devil, and more. They last a couple of years and then they die. They were not cheap either.....$200 range.

Super Contributor

On 6/22/2014 sidsmom said:

2 reasons why I wouldn't buy a Dyson from QVC:

1. I have a Rainbow that's still going STRONG 30 years later & show no signs of slowing down.

2. It goes against my "If a named product's inventor is not there to sell it on QVC, I'm not buying". Perricone comes to mind, along with Dyson...along with other smaller niche products. Larger products like Dell are exempt since they have a zillion $ in sales, but the smaller products....if the guy/gal is confident enough to slap their name on a product, I want said guy/gal to sell it to me.

I read (several months ago) an article that interviewed James Dyson. He said the fight to quell the number of Dyson IMITATIONS out there is taking a consider amount of his company's time. Hummmm. Don't know how you can tell if you have a fake..unless it breaks down in 5-6 months?

I don't think he would have time to make the multi presentations. Too time-consuming and not very cost effective. It's not possible either because they sell Dyson on HSN as well as QVC. He could not appear on both networks. I have always loved the commercials in which he appears.

Super Contributor

I've had my Dyson for about seven years. Not a single issue and still going strong. I have owned Oreck, Sharpe, Eureka, Electrolux, and Kirby. Hands down the Dyson wins. My next one will also be a Dyson. I have a couple of nieces and nephews that are vying over who's going to get this Dyson when I upgrade to the next one. Lol.

Honestly, I am glad that we have choices. It would be impossible for everyone to be happy with the same machine. We all have different expectations and needs.

Super Contributor

I hate mine. Heavy, unweildy, attachment hose impossible. They did pay to have it serviced after it stopped working. Great suction, but even vacuuming the stairs is so difficult. Love my Oreck so much better.