Honored Contributor

Re: More ripoff dyson junk, really?

On 6/22/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:
On 6/22/2014 Cookie06 said:

I guess that only lasting 5-6 years is ok when you have paid such a huge price for a vacuum? Wink

As opposed to a purchasing a $100 vacuum and having to replace it every year, and have it not work as well? Hmmm, let me think about that.

Mine is still going strong after 5 years, no problems at all. I have 3 cats and 3 dogs and that vacuum has been run just about every day since the day I bought it.

(bolded by me) That's what I used to do - not very smart on my part. I cannot tell you how many of those $100+ vacuum cleaners I owned over the years, but I can say that it was a LOT.

I'm not a fan of this stick-type vacuum they are selling today, though. I have the old DC07, that has been relegated to my cleaning lady, two DC25 Ball models, and my favorite - the DC41 Ball model. All of them continue to work very well. I have a kind of large-ish house, so it's perfect having the three of them for us to use and the other one for the cleaning lady to beat up. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

On 6/22/2014 sidsmom said:

I read (several months ago) an article that interviewed James Dyson. He said the fight to quell the number of Dyson IMITATIONS out there is taking a consider amount of his company's time. Hummmm. Don't know how you can tell if you have a fake..unless it breaks down in 5-6 months?

Did he mean knockoffs using the Dyson name or did he mean patent infringement which uses Dyson technology? I've only used Dyson in the UK and it was worth the money but they aren't nearly as expensive there.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Esteemed Contributor

I love to watch presentations of electronic items. I do not intend to buy a Dyson because I buy what I need from our local mom and pop vacuum store that sells the Miele brand. Before that BUY I had a simple Hoover 34 commercial that lasted over 35 years. I never should have given it away... what a work horse. They don't make them like they used to. Anyway I have no clue what the Dyson is like. I just like to see them present it.

Respected Contributor

On 6/22/2014 RedHeadedWench said:

I have owned 4 separate Dyson products and never had trouble with them, until they broke down after several years.....5-6 years that is.

My mother died when I was 40 yrs. old. When I was cleaning up her house, WHAT did I discover? She was using the SAME Hoover vacuum she'd used when I was a kid! I suppose, back in those days, you bought a vacuum cleaner "for life". Smile

Amazing!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

I hate my Dyson. It is heavy and hard to use.I wish I had never bought it. I loved to vacume daily as I have pets but I can no longer do that. It doesn't even make my rugs look clean Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

I believe that when QVC pitches certain products, like Dyson, the quality is much lower than Dyson's quality products bought elsewhere. I watched the demostrations of the Dyson vac this morning - and the reviews are not that great - for a $300 product.

Super Contributor

I have this cordless stick Dyson, with all the accessories. Purchased it when it first came out. Maybe that was 3 years ago? it still works just as good as the day I bought it. I take it apart and clean it a few times a year, but not because I notice its not working though, just out of routine maintenance. I use it everyday on my tile and hardwood. Picks up cat hair and whatever to keep the floors clean. I use my Oreck once a week for the area rugs in living room and bedrooms (okay, I admit, sometimes I go two weeks without the big cleaning).

I also use the cordless stick attachments for the sofa and chairs, which picks up the cat hair very well. Keeps the furniture looking brand new an fresh. I use the other attachments all around the house too. Love using this on the blinds too.

Love using this for the car too. So easy to take outside and do whatever I need to do in there.

I am done buying cheap products that need replacing every year, or two. I don't mind spending more money up front to have something that works consistently for a long period of time. But I also am realistic, and don't expect everything I buy to last a lifetime either. Nothing lasts a lifetime.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never had Dyson, but isn't this a lot like a recent Shark TSV? I sent that back because it couldn't stand on it's own, so I won't be getting this.
Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I have the dyson dc41 animal. I like mine. The ball makes it easy to use. I agree, the hose is not easy to use, not sure what they were thinking there. There are a few other features that could have been better. Do I think it is the ultra machine, no, but it does a good job. Would I buy it again, I dont think so, it doesnt seem to do a great job on my large area rugs but overall what it picks up is pretty good. I also have the shark 3 in 1 liftaway and reach for the dyson more. Not sure why. The shark is good too. I want to start using the lift away feature for the couch, baseboards etc. Dont need two vacuums but that is another conversation.
Honored Contributor

I love my Dyson and hope to get both the canister and cordless one in the future. I have had to name the ones that were the most expensive are Kirby, Oreck, Hoover and a Shark but nothing compares to my Dyson. The Shark was the best of the other 2 but didn't last that long - only 3 years (having to have it repaired after 1 1/2 years). I had a shepherd/collie mix dog that shed like crazy and my Dyson did the best job ever. I could get a full canister twice a day just from vacuuming the dog and his fur jammed up all the other ones.

Sounds like the OP doesn't have one so how can she call it junk?!!! The reviews I have read on Dyson vacs have nearly all been really good ones. The worst reviews were for the heavier more bulky ones that the reviewers said were way too heavy but certainly not junk!!!