Honored Contributor

Re: 'Miraculous' Perricone and other beauty products

@Valstybaby wrote:

@Pook @Do you use the SSC Egg on your neck?

Yes.  It's FDA cleared to use on the neck.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I didn't notice my skin ageing until I was in my 60's, I have always taken care of my skin and think that's important. That being said, gravity does take it's toll and unless you have plastic surgery no cream, lotion, potion or machine will lift it up again. I think because we use these expensive products, we fool ourselves into thinking we look far younger than we actually do. I know blond Maria looks every bit the age she is, but I think she's beautiful and I doubt if she uses Perricone in her real life. That being said, everyone should use the products and do what makes them feel and look the best they can be.

No fooling myself.  The products I use have definitely made a huge difference as evidenced by photos from years ago and now and also from all the compliments I get on my skin and the best ones are from my cousins with similar facial features who have jowls, saggy skin, eye wrinkles - all of which I don't or no longer have!!   Sure I'm never going to look 20 years younger but when I went to a new doctor, he sent the nurse in to double check my year of birth because he couldn't believe I was 64 and thought there was a typo.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest  I agree with you! Sunscreen at an early age is a must. There is no product that is going to make sun damaged skin better. I started using sunscreen in my 30's and I also used over the counter retinol from way back, starting with a skin care line from Naomi Judd. She had retinol capsules and I loved them. So tomorrow, I turn 61 and my skin is pretty good. I get a many compliments on it and questions about what I use. Right now, I use the Paul Nassif products from HSN and I wear IT CC cream for my sunscreen. I just started on thie Nassif products and I am loving those. The 2 consistent things that I have use for many years is the sunscreen and the retinol. I also use a day and night cream to help keep my skin moist. I will say the Nassif hydrating serum is the best I have ever used. 

Esteemed Contributor

There aren't any "miracle" creams out there (IMO). Aging happens, but the women who take care of their skin consistently from an early age will see better results than those that don't. And - don't worship the sun! I'm 71 and have followed that routine since I was in my late teens - thank you mama!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

About 2 yrs ago I wrote a comment about a regular Philosophy rep who was presenting their hope-in-a-tube eye cream, yet she had very noticeable puffiness under her eyes--my comment was removed for being unkind.  I have noticed over the last couple months this same regular Philosophy rep looks absolutely terrific and about 20 yrs younger.  Wonder if it was the hope-in-a-tube eye cream?

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMeecan you recommend a good Retin-A? I am in my mid 50's and have a few sun spots on my face that I would like to get rid of. Any help would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mjabby wrote:

@SilleeMeecan you recommend a good Retin-A? I am in my mid 50's and have a few sun spots on my face that I would like to get rid of. Any help would be appreciated.

@mjabby 

Retin-A is a Rx-only product, unless you purchase it from an overseas pharmacy without a Rx which I do.  So a dermatologist would be the one to give that recommendation based on your skin condition. If you are looking for a retinol product, there are so many to choose from but with most retinol products there is little, if any, effect on brown spots while using it. If brown spots are a concern for you then I can recommend a couple of things, other than Retin-A...first try using a glycolic acid product starting at low 10% concentration in either a cream or some treatment pads at night . Secondly, you can try an otc hydroquinone spot treatment directly on the spots. Thirdly, and I think most important, is start using a vitamin C serum with a known good reputation and customer reviews. 

Cost wise, glycolic acid products should not cost a lot. On the other hand, expect to pay more for a good retinol products and vit C serums which I believe you get what you pay for. I don't know what your price range would include, but some of these things can be very expensive. My advice is to look for ones that agree with both your wallet as well as your skin. You'll have to be purchasing multiples in order to start seeing results. Usually 8 to 12 weeks for most noticeable results, with some spot fading in about a month ot maybe 6 weeks.

Here are some brands to look for that I think are reasonably priced and effective:

Glycolix Elite (aka Topix) - glycolic pads and creams

Alpha Skin Care - glycolic creams, spot treatments

Paula's Choice Clinical 1% retinol

Vitamin C serum - one made with THD ascorbate (it's an oil-based form of vit C, highly effective at skin brightening) - you will have to look around for products containing this, I can say they will be costly.

Nothing, not even Retin-A, is guaranteed to eliminate brown spots. Sometimes it takes a visit to a dermatologist when everything you've tried just doesn't seem to work. A dermatologist can suggest certain medical procedures, such as laser spot removal or recommend a Rx-strength hydroquinone...sometimes both at the same time.

Respected Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

About 2 yrs ago I wrote a comment about a regular Philosophy rep who was presenting their hope-in-a-tube eye cream, yet she had very noticeable puffiness under her eyes--my comment was removed for being unkind.  I have noticed over the last couple months this same regular Philosophy rep looks absolutely terrific and about 20 yrs younger.  Wonder if it was the hope-in-a-tube eye cream?

No way! She obviously had surgery to remove them. Its a common prodedure.

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

No way! She obviously had surgery to remove them. Its a common prodedure.

@Grouchomarx, I may be wrong, but I think @ScarletDove asked that question with tongue fully in cheek. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Grouchomarx, I may be wrong, but I think @ScarletDove asked that question with tongue fully in cheek. :-)

I kinda thought that a little while afterwards!  I'm dense as a brick sometimes!