Occasional Contributor

Re: Martha Stewart's Embroidered Jeans TSV - Review

Thanks World Traveler and Winamac.  They do sound promising.  I like enough give in the waist that I don't feel cut in half when I sit down after I eat, but I don't want so much spandex that they feel like they are going to stretch right off me either.  Spandex/elastane really is one of those things where you can have too much of a good thing...lol!

Thank you again.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@badbadshopper wrote:

I didn't order because I had too many unanswered questions.  Can you answer some of them?

When you say they fit, what is the spandex/elastane like?  Is it like DG2's 4 way stretch?

Are these jeans with no give in the waist?  Jeans with so much spandex that after they get warm you can shimmy out of them without unbuttoning them?  Or somewhere in between?  How much waist give is there?

Is the embroidery itchy?

Are the front pockets deep enough to be useful?  Is the denim heavy or more summer weight?

The jeans have a little give in the waist--not much.  I like these, but I really prefer and love her pull on jeans!  They have more stretch. 

The T. S. is nice though.  There is not a lot of spandex in these--meaning there is not too much.   I don't think they will stretch out.  I don't find them as stretchy as DG2.  Hers fall off of me as they are too stretchy and oversized.  

HTH's.  

Try these jeans as you may love them.  If you want a lot of stretch, though, in the waist, these are not the ones.  They have some stretch-not a great deal of stretch!

ETA:

the embroidery is not itchyl

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

I ordered them in my regular size and the fit through the waist and hips is perfect.  The problem that I have run into is my knees.  Since my knee operation and the consequent tear in my other knee, both legs are swollen.  I asked my PT if he thought that they would go down before cool weather and he said that thought so.  I am not sure whether or not to keep them, but I have several weeks to decide.  I thought about going up a size, but then they would be too large everywhere else and possibly still be too tight in the knees.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@badbadshopper wrote:

I didn't order because I had too many unanswered questions.  Can you answer some of them?

When you say they fit, what is the spandex/elastane like?  Is it like DG2's 4 way stretch?

Are these jeans with no give in the waist?  Jeans with so much spandex that after they get warm you can shimmy out of them without unbuttoning them?  Or somewhere in between?  How much waist give is there?

Is the embroidery itchy?

Are the front pockets deep enough to be useful?  Is the denim heavy or more summer weight?

@badbadshopper

1. Fit - the elastane gives me just enough "give." I can sit, squat, etc., and it is comfortable to do so, and the shape goes back to before I do those activities.

2. Four-way stretch - haven't really thought about whether it is one-way, two-way, etc.  I just went in the closest to check, and I can pull them all directions and they give, but go back to their original shape. It's not a big stretch, just enough to allow for me to feel comfortable if I overeat! LOL!

3. Give in the waist - yes, I found there to be "give" in the waist. It appears to be the same amount of give as in the rest of the jeans, but firm enough so I don't worry about it stretching out and having to wear suspenders some day! LOL! 

4. Embroidery itchy - I haven't worn them out anywhere, just tried them on to be sure they were true to size, and they were. I ran my hand/arm inside to feel the embroidery, and the feel is not itchy to me. I guess it depends upon how sensitive your skin is. I do know this....the fact that the embroidery was sewn INTO the material, as opposed to being sewn ONTO the material (like some of my Quacker Factory pieces), makes it nicer, softer, and not heavy to the feel, if that makes sense how I worded it.

5. Pocket depth - the back pockets are 5" in depth; the front pockets are 3-1/2" in depth. I would prefer just a little bit more depth in the front; however, I always carry a wallet/purse, so really the only thing I usually put in pant pockets are my keys or Kleenix. One of her prior Martha Stewart jeans I got (A307750) has front pockets that are only 2-1/4" deep, but I love them so much, that I don't care. But that really is shallow for my preference. The 3-1/2" is okay for my needs.

6. Denim weight - to me the denim is light and smooth, even with the embroidery on them. I  will have no problem wearing this jean in the summer. Regular denim jeans that used to be made years ago (maybe they still are) were too heavy for me to wear in the summer. I only wore those when I was riding horses or going to hike where there were tall and thorny bushes I would encounter. These will be light enough to pack or wear on the plane.

Hope this answers all your questions!

There , imo, is nowhere near the give in the waist of these jeans as there is in the waist of the pull ons. 

I own 4 pairs of her pull ons and I have NO Issue with the waist in any of them.  The TSV waist runs small. There is little give.  The waist appears very small.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

@badbadshopper wrote:

Is the embroidery itchy?

@badbadshopper

1. Fit - the elastane gives me just enough "give." I can sit, squat, etc., and it is comfortable to do so, and the shape goes back to before I do those activities.

2. Four-way stretch - haven't really thought about whether it is one-way, two-way, etc.  I just went in the closest to check, and I can pull them all directions and they give, but go back to their original shape. It's not a big stretch, just enough to allow for me to feel comfortable if I overeat! LOL!

3. Give in the waist - yes, I found there to be "give" in the waist. It appears to be the same amount of give as in the rest of the jeans, but firm enough so I don't worry about it stretching out and having to wear suspenders some day! LOL! 

4. Embroidery itchy - I haven't worn them out anywhere, just tried them on to be sure they were true to size, and they were. I ran my hand/arm inside to feel the embroidery, and the feel is not itchy to me. I guess it depends upon how sensitive your skin is. I do know this....the fact that the embroidery was sewn INTO the material, as opposed to being sewn ONTO the material (like some of my Quacker Factory pieces), makes it nicer, softer, and not heavy to the feel, if that makes sense how I worded it.

5. Pocket depth - the back pockets are 5" in depth; the front pockets are 3-1/2" in depth. I would prefer just a little bit more depth in the front; however, I always carry a wallet/purse, so really the only thing I usually put in pant pockets are my keys or Kleenix. One of her prior Martha Stewart jeans I got (A307750) has front pockets that are only 2-1/4" deep, but I love them so much, that I don't care. But that really is shallow for my preference. The 3-1/2" is okay for my needs.

6. Denim weight - to me the denim is light and smooth, even with the embroidery on them. I  will have no problem wearing this jean in the summer. Regular denim jeans that used to be made years ago (maybe they still are) were too heavy for me to wear in the summer. I only wore those when I was riding horses or going to hike where there were tall and thorny bushes I would encounter. These will be light enough to pack or wear on the plane.

There , imo, is nowhere near the give in the waist of these jeans as there is in the waist of the pull ons. 

I own 4 pairs of her pull ons and I have NO Issue with the waist in any of them.  The TSV waist runs small. There is little give.  The waist appears very small.

@winamac1 I did not compare the "give" in the waist on the TSV to pull-on jeans.  

My TSV has "give" in the waistband when I tug on it. I did not specify which jeans I was talking about when I said "as the rest of the jeans."

I have no doubt there is more "give" with the waistband on pull-on jeans; there is supposed to be "give" on pull-on jeans. That's the nature of the band for pull-on jeans.

It's okay if we don't share the same opinion with the TSV jeans and the waistband. I was answering the questions @badbadshopper had from my experience with the TSV. That's why I called it a review in my title; it's my assessment.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

@badbadshopper wrote:

Is the embroidery itchy?

@badbadshopper

@winamac1 I did not compare the "give" in the waist on the TSV to pull-on jeans.  

My TSV has "give" in the waistband when I tug on it. I did not specify which jeans I was talking about when I said "as the rest of the jeans."

I have no doubt there is more "give" with the waistband on pull-on jeans; there is supposed to be "give" on pull-on jeans. That's the nature of the band for pull-on jeans.

It's okay if we don't share the same opinion with the TSV jeans and the waistband. I was answering the questions @badbadshopper had from my experience with the TSV. That's why I called it a review in my title; it's my assessment.  Smiley Happy

Absolutely.   I was just giving my take on it.  We all feel differently about different things. 

Super Contributor

Hard to believe that after all these years Martha is in the clothing line doesn t she have enough money?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler wrote:

@badbadshopper

@World Traveler  This is one complete and thorough review of MS's jeans.  I do hope I encounter your clothing review advice somewhere down the road when I need help.  Great review and feedback for everyone......  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove Thanks for the kind word. Heart  I know how I would feel if I wanted detailed answers and no one gave it to me, so I wanted to ensure that I answered all her specific questions based upon my experience. 

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@ScarletDove Thanks for the kind word. Heart  I know how I would feel if I wanted detailed answers and no one gave it to me, so I wanted to ensure that I answered all her specific questions based upon my experience. 

@World Traveler  Standing ovation for World Traveler....... thanks again.....