Valued Contributor

Re: Love my Wen but have started noticing hair loss!!

@Danielle46 wrote:

Actually, it "can" cause hair loss by clogging the hair folicle.  All you have to do is "google" it and you will find 100's of complaints.  When you don't use soap in a product, your scalp is not being properly cleaned and you can develop a build up.   I had to stop using it and I know others who had to stop using it (and we were all medicaly checked and have nothing wrong with us).   If your suffering hair loss from WEN the solution is simple "stop using it"!!!!   Its not for everyone - you may also be allergic to some of the ingredients.

100s out of millions. Pantene makes my hair fallout by the hand full. Sure enough Google Pantene and there are more complaints about Pantene than WEN but its not as cool to hate on them or any other brand.  If you google ____  or____causes fallout/hair loss every single shampoo will get results. 

Trusted Contributor

The WEN team will not comment on this chemical....they only say it is used inthe beauty industry......cop out......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

WEN contains one or two known allergens and skin irritants:

Methylisothiazolinone  and / or

Methylchloroisothiazolinone

i posted a question on the WEN Q&A  about why they are used and their pat answer is a "preservative" used in wide varety of cosmetics. i found ONE shampoo with these two chemicals here, a bottle of Pantene CC.

they have antibacterial and anitfungal properties.  sound good?  not so fast.

these need to be rinsed off quickly and not sit on the scalp. 

there are pages and pages of details on google about this pair of "preservatives'

yuk

That is funny because there are many shampoos and conditioners that use these ingredients- Pantene, Pureology, Dove, Suave, Herbal Essence, Nick Chavez products (which oddly you've never been boisterous about- check out advanced volume shampoo and conditioner, plump and thickening shampoo ),  living proof shampoos and conditioners (which have been on qvc and you have not ranted about), Nioxin conditioners (yes, the hair growth and scalp products), etc. Funny how you can't seem to find anyone but one bottle. It is very easy to find it. It is also in tons of skincare as well.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you so very much for being one of the few people who didn't want to 'throw me to the wolves' for my questions and comments regarding wen and hair loss. I stopped using wen because of the hair loss, but was sincerely trying to obtain answers and info from wen today, not ruffle any feathers.  My hair when using wen (prior to the thinning and hair loss) was the most beautiful it had been in my life, so I think it only natural that I'd wish to try to find a way to safely but effectively reintroduce the products, if at all possible. I was merely seeks nag advice from the man who knows more about those products than anyone else. Instead I received some pretty ugly responses from people who know nothing about me or my personal situation. As I don't often use community forums so I was rather shocked at all the chiming in from those individuals!! Thank you for your kindness!!

Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure why my questions to Chaz Dean evoked such a heated or emotionally charged response from a few people today!! As I stated in my initial post, while using wen products, my hair looked as beautiful as it had ever looked in my life-I wasn't 'hating' on anyone or anything-merely seeking advise about his hair care products-NOT why I had hair loss after using them!! After 'Googling' 'wen and hair loss' I found that I am clearly not the only individual who has had this problem with those products however. It was my sincere desire to see if the creator of the products could recommend a way for me to safely incorporate wen back into my hair care routine sans hair loss.  I am truly shocked at how personally offended and defensive these people who have nothing to do with wen became today!! 

Super Contributor

1. This happened to me as well...and since my hair is waist length, I was very upset.
  2. But! I did find a "solution". I use Philosophy 3-in-1'as my clarifying shampoo. It works great! Then I apply WEN as a leave-in from the ears DOWN....staying away from scalp.
  3. If you decide to try this, please let me know your results!
Valued Contributor

Just because it didn't happen to you,doesn't mean it doesn't happen...She said she was medically checked out,BUT that's not good enough for the WEN COMMUNITY.They will defend Wen till they die..and for the love of me,I can't understand why..My Husband uses Wen and he loves it..BUT he tells me that he feels a WAXY BUILD UP on his Scalp and maybe every wekk or so he will WASH HIS SCALP..Now he doesn't have hair loss..but maybe because he WASHES his Scalp every few weeks..I don't know..but what I do know is ,if this happens to him..it must be happening to others.I don't know if this WAX is stopping hair to grow or causing hair loss in those who are claiming that is happening to them... That remains to be seen

Op: You had to realize once you opened this CAN of Worms..you were going to get flack..even though you proclaimed your love for Wen..You were putting a BLACK MARK on Chaz and the Wen community will have none of that..you know because they all must  be getting rich from Wen..OH NO wait  only Chaz is getting Rich and they are making him rich. Hey this just my 2 cents worth and I am sure as I live and breathe this will get so much flack..but..

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

i posted a question on the WEN Q&A  about why they are used and their pat answer is a "preservative" used in wide varety of cosmetics. i found ONE shampoo with these two chemicals here, a bottle of Pantene CC.

there are pages and pages of details on google about this pair of "preservatives'

yuk

That is funny because there are many shampoos and conditioners that use these ingredients- Pantene, Pureology, Dove, Suave, Herbal Essence, Nick Chavez products (which oddly you've never been boisterous about- check out advanced volume shampoo and conditioner, plump and thickening shampoo ),  living proof shampoos and conditioners (which have been on qvc and you have not ranted about), Nioxin conditioners (yes, the hair growth and scalp products), etc. Funny how you can't seem to find anyone but one bottle. It is very easy to find it. It is also in tons of skincare as well.

lol boisterous?  lol .  that is amusing

no need to list all the products my dear 

just stating the facts

not wise to leave these ingredients sitting on your head

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

yuk

lol boisterous?  lol .  that is amusing

no need to list all the products my dear 

just stating the facts

not wise to leave these ingredients sitting on your head

Well, I find it interesting you didn't even comment on my other statements. While I think you have valid points about the ingredients, it would be more impactful if you point to valid scientific studies rather than telling people to google and read random sites that make claims but do not back them up with scietific studies (which there are some, btw).

The reason I listed a bunch of brands is because you said you were told by WEN that they are used alot and you claimed you could only find one. So I was pointing out that there ARE many- pretty much every line has at least some products with them in it.

I do not need to search your posting history as you have been very vocal about this for awhile on the WEN threads. What I find interesting, and was asking you about, is why I've never seen you ask these same questions to the other lines that contain these two ingredients, including Nick Chavez, Philosophy, PTR, Lea Journo, Keranique, ALterna, etc.. They've had community chats and I've never seen you ask them about the ingredients.

And even though you are seemingly outraged about these two ingredients, you yourself bought the Pantene CC shampoo (which is fairly new, btw) and use it, even though you've now edited your post to remove that fact. So I am a little confused about why you are so vocal about these ingredients but you are not concerned enough to scour the ingredients of the products you yourself use to make sure they don't contain them and are using products that contain them?

It seems a little disingenuous.

Trusted Contributor

Debbie, the first reply was simply to let you know that Chaz doesn't read this board. I hope you asked during the chat all day yesterday. If not you can try calling the number on the back of the bottles. Also the Wen team is pretty good responding to posts on Chaz's page but for such specific help the number maybe your best bet. 

The reason why this became a back and forth issue is because there are those that seek every opportunity to attack Wen and there are those that will defend it. I hope you get your answers and can continue enjoying Wen. 

#IAmTeamWen