Occasional Contributor

Love my Wen but have started noticing hair loss!!

Hi Chaz and Team wen,

Let me start by saying that I started using wen about 3 years ago and absolutely loved the results I received from all the products!! My fine, thin hair actually got thicker, stronger and my color lasted much longer (I'm a 'bottle redhead!). Anyway, about 6 months ago, I started noticing significant hair loss-both while cleansing in the shower and when examining my scalp. Needless to say, I was horrified!! My nephew has a high end salon with an extensive and very happy clientele, so I consulted him about the hair loss. He advised me to stop using the wen and gave me a bag full of salon products to begin using. He said that the wen was 'coating my hair and my scalp-smothering the scalp and hair follicles so that new hair wasn't able to grow and was also the cause of the hair loss'. I have seen my physician and have ruled out any medical causes for the hair loss. I started using these 'high-end' products but have not gotten close to having the beautiful hair I got using wen. In fact, my color doesn't last as long, I'm having to wash my hair much more frequently, my hair is dry on the ends, and doesn't hold my style like it did with the wen. I'm just sick about this and am feeling totally lost and bewildered now! I want my beautiful hair back!! I have no idea where to go from here. I truly loved my hair for the first time in my life while using my wen products, and have 'converted' many of my friends. But can't have my hair falling out!! PLEASE HELP ME!! You've always been such a kind, caring man with anyone who has called into the many shows I've watched featuring your products-I'm just feeling lost and don't know what to do next. 

Thank you you in advance for any advice or help you can give me. 

Debbie near Dallas, TX

Honored Contributor

Re: Love my Wen but have started noticing hair loss!!

@godivarn wrote:

Hi Chaz and Team wen,

Let me start by saying that I started using wen about 3 years ago and absolutely loved the results I received from all the products!! My fine, thin hair actually got thicker, stronger and my color lasted much longer (I'm a 'bottle redhead!). Anyway, about 6 months ago, I started noticing significant hair loss-both while cleansing in the shower and when examining my scalp. Needless to say, I was horrified!! My nephew has a high end salon with an extensive and very happy clientele, so I consulted him about the hair loss. He advised me to stop using the wen and gave me a bag full of salon products to begin using. He said that the wen was 'coating my hair and my scalp-smothering the scalp and hair follicles so that new hair wasn't able to grow and was also the cause of the hair loss'. I have seen my physician and have ruled out any medical causes for the hair loss. I started using these 'high-end' products but have not gotten close to having the beautiful hair I got using wen. In fact, my color doesn't last as long, I'm having to wash my hair much more frequently, my hair is dry on the ends, and doesn't hold my style like it did with the wen. I'm just sick about this and am feeling totally lost and bewildered now! I want my beautiful hair back!! I have no idea where to go from here. I truly loved my hair for the first time in my life while using my wen products, and have 'converted' many of my friends. But can't have my hair falling out!! PLEASE HELP ME!! You've always been such a kind, caring man with anyone who has called into the many shows I've watched featuring your products-I'm just feeling lost and don't know what to do next. 

Debbie near Dallas, TX

@godivarn

Dear Debby Dallas,

Chaz doesn't read the Q BBs.  He's said so many times. 

You seem very worried about your hair, "lost and don't know what to do next" sounds a bit scary.

Really, not meaning to sound unkind, but a shopping BB is probably not the best place to get this kind of advice.  Maybe you might want to consult your family physician for a referral to someone who might be able to help you with your problem.  

Best of luck!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I'm runnin' for cover.....

Smiley others 233.gif
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I'm runnin' for cover.....

Smiley others 233.gif

never mind.  What i said would fall on deaf ears anyway.  Not worth it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As someone who's suffered from mostly mild attacks (fingers crossed!) of alopecia for many years, let me assure you that Wen does not cause hair loss.  I've been to doctors for this problem, and not one has ever asked me about Wen or any other hair product.  This rumor is complete nonsense. 

I've been going to my hairdresser for 12 years, and ONLY TWICE during that time had I used Wen before the visit.  Both times she remarked on how soft and improved my hair was.  I have dry, curly hair, and it does wonders for me.  The last time I saw her, it was the second time since I started using Wen again.  I had one 1.5"x1.5" bald spot at the nape of the neck.  She'd just come back from some training program that taught that Wen causes hair loss.  She showed the bald spot to another hairdresser as an example of what Wen does. 

I told her emphatically that the vast majority of my alopecia has occurred before I ever heard of Wen or when I hadn't been using it, but she would not listen.  As I said, no doctor has ever asked about hair products or Wen!  A relative is a doctor who has access to all the best doctors in the world in Boston, and she has never mentioned Wen! 

Chaz should do something about these false rumors about hair loss. 

Edited to add:  When reading these claims on this board, I did some research and found the web site of a medical practice that does hair transplants.  In a post about what causes hair loss, they stated that this "follicle suffocation" theory has absolutely NO BASIS IN FACT.  This is something hairdressers say, not dermatologists or surgeons.

Trusted Contributor

Actually, it "can" cause hair loss by clogging the hair folicle.  All you have to do is "google" it and you will find 100's of complaints.  When you don't use soap in a product, your scalp is not being properly cleaned and you can develop a build up.   I had to stop using it and I know others who had to stop using it (and we were all medicaly checked and have nothing wrong with us).   If your suffering hair loss from WEN the solution is simple "stop using it"!!!!   Its not for everyone - you may also be allergic to some of the ingredients.

Respected Contributor

@Danielle46 wrote:

Actually, it "can" cause hair loss by clogging the hair folicle.  All you have to do is "google" it and you will find 100's of complaints.  When you don't use soap in a product, your scalp is not being properly cleaned and you can develop a build up.   I had to stop using it and I know others who had to stop using it (and we were all medicaly checked and have nothing wrong with us).   If your suffering hair loss from WEN the solution is simple "stop using it"!!!!   Its not for everyone - you may also be allergic to some of the ingredients.

No offense, Danielle46, but you could find claims that Elvis is still alive and sightings of the Lochness monster on the Internet as well.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@godivarn wrote:

Hi Chaz and Team wen,

Debbie near Dallas, TX

Chaz has a Q & A going on today.  If you have questions, I'd ask in that forum topic.  http://community.qvc.com/t5/Today-s-Special-Value/All-Day-Q-amp-A-with-Team-WEN-on-9-5/m-p/2110609#U...

Wen user for over 14 years.

Favorite formulas: TT, LAV, SCM, FTP, WCM, 613, MIF, BGT
Respected Contributor

Because of all the hair loss allegations, I'm incorporating my moisturizing shampoo every third time just to be sure my scalp is clean. I love WEN and the pomegranate works great on my thick, dry curly. This method works for me.

Respected Contributor

WEN contains one or two known allergens and skin irritants:

Methylisothiazolinone  and / or

Methylchloroisothiazolinone

i posted a question on the WEN Q&A  about why they are used and their pat answer is a "preservative" used in wide varety of cosmetics. i found ONE shampoo with these two chemicals here, a bottle of Pantene CC.

they have antibacterial and anitfungal properties.  sound good?  not so fast.

these need to be rinsed off quickly and not sit on the scalp. 

there are pages and pages of details on google about this pair of "preservatives'

yuk