Frequent Contributor

It is not freezer free. Ever time I put into freezer it is freezer burn. I put the top on tight I even press down on it. Hi

Trusted Contributor

@Purplebirdhouse wrote:

It is not freezer free. Ever time I put into freezer it is freezer burn. I put the top on tight I even press down on it. Hi

Lay a piece of plastic wrap on top of the product you have in the container.   No more freezer burn.

Esteemed Contributor
Wrap food so it has no air contact.
There is still air INSIDE the container.
Food + air + freezing temps + time= freezer burn.

Honored Contributor

@Purplebirdhouse wrote:

You are correct and L&L should not present them for use in a freezer.   The best item to use in the freezer would be a bag sealed with a vacuum sealer, but even they don't last forever.

L&L is a good product for the refrigerator.    Whenever I've used one, my food stayed fresher much longer than other containers.

I also like that in some sets, the lids are interchangeable.   Having a "universal" lid is so handy.    

Honored Contributor

I use my L&L in the freezer all the time.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I don't know what 'freeer free' means, but they are definitely good for freezer use.   I use mine in the freezer mostly for dry goods that have no moisture.

You have advice for what to do and it will work fine.

I feel like there might be some confusion between 'airtight' and 'vacuum sealed' - 

Vacuum-sealing removes ALL air from the inside and seals it so that there will be no air in there at all.    This will give you a frost-free type of storage.

Airtight means that air cannot move in and out of the continer.  Whatever air is in the container when you seal it is still in there.   The only way to preclude, or kind of, that is if you fill the container so full that there is absolutely no room for air to remain.  That's nearly impossible.

If you want to do long-term storage of foods in the freeer (foods that have moisture in them), then you need to vacuum seal them.  THAT alone will preclude any freezer burn.

Valued Contributor

I cover the items I put in Lock and Lock with plastic wrap or put them in a storage bag first.  I have never had any thing go bad or have had freezer burn.

Valued Contributor

I've never had an issue with freezer burn, or anything else with my lock & lock. 

Valued Contributor

It'd be cool to see a line from L&L that was compatable with the food saver so you could remove all air for the freezer! Though I guess that would be problematic legal wise - unless they wanted to create their own "food saver" type sealer to go with it.