Respected Contributor

I have to laugh at the TSV "special".  I realize many many people do not have access to fresh caught Maine lobsters but this price?  When we go to Maine for a week we get whole lobsters fresh from a local fisherman.  The price will vary day to day but the MOST we paid was $26 for 4 whole lobsters!  Unless you have eaten right from the ocean, lobsters do not taste the same when they are frozen and transported.

Esteemed Contributor

No interest in it either. Tried lobster once and hated it. I found it tasteless and I don't like the texture. My husband is allergic and neither of us eat seafood. I don't live anywhere near an ocean so I can't say if fresh is any better than what I could get at a restaurant if I decided to try seafood. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

DH and I love lobster tails but if I'm doing the math correctly this comes to $17 for a 5 oz tail????  Too funny!

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl   I always prefer fresh fish to frozen, but the reality is for millions of people, that's not much of a possibility.

I do remember eating wonderful fresh Maine loster at  some village festival in Maine.  It was wonderful.   I have no idea what it cost, but most likely not much by today's standards.  Our only tour in Maine was summer, 1972.

I stopped buying lobster anywhere once I realized what I actually liked was the melted butter. 

Honored Contributor

Must everything be about price!!!!!!   If YOU can't afford something that doesn't mean it's expensive or over priced.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Must everything be about price!!!!!!   If YOU can't afford something that doesn't mean it's expensive or over priced.  

@chrystaltree , Did the OP say she couldn't afford it ? It is about value, which is in the name of the company. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

For somebody, me, that lives thousands of miles from Maine and does not have access to Maine lobster, it IS a good value. To fly there and have lobster would cost substantially more. I would consider it but I prefer Crab, in addition, I will not be home for either of the two delivery times so I can't even consider it. 

In our area, don't know about others, but to go to a restaurant and order lobster tails it's at the minimum a $40+ meal. And 40 is a good deal.

Esteemed Contributor

Heart lobster but prefer whole ones not just frozen tails. IMO freezing changes the texture of the meat,  I would also not buy unless there was overnight delivery to ensure they came still frozen.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I have to laugh at the TSV "special".  I realize many many people do not have access to fresh caught Maine lobsters but this price?  When we go to Maine for a week we get whole lobsters fresh from a local fisherman.  The price will vary day to day but the MOST we paid was $26 for 4 whole lobsters!  Unless you have eaten right from the ocean, lobsters do not taste the same when they are frozen and transported.

@bargainsgirl   Since I'm not about to fly to Maine from Virginia to have 4 lobsters for $26, I do the next best thing.

I love lobster tails.  I get 5-6 oz. lobster tails, Maine, split down the shell, for $13 each from Wegman's (5 miles from my home).  So for 16 of them, I pay $208.  The organic 1 lb. butter I like is $10, so that brings my haul to $218.

The TSV is $279 for that amount, which includes 1 lb. of butter.

So my only decision is whether that extra $61 is worth trying the Greenhead Lobster brand to see if there's any difference.  I doubt it.  Or for others it could be the Easy Pay (I never purchase food on Easy Pay).

I won't buy the TSV, because of that better choice for me.  Comparing apples to apples.