Honored Contributor

IMO Way overpriced.  $17 for a 4 oz tail???  

Honored Contributor

This is the very last place I'd be buying lobster for any pricetag.

Respected Contributor

Shipping on dry ice may be a problem. There have been complaints about meats and seafood being in containers with no ice or not frozen. With all the lengthy shipping times and summer heat I would not consider it.

Contributor

It is very overpriced.  All you have to do is a little research. Check out Greenhead's own website for starters...you can get a 10 lb case 5-6oz lobster tails (approx. 30 tails) for $245 plus shipping. And me being in Georgia, with the shipping, it's still only $267 (and if I wanted it overnight, it would still be cheaper @ $307 and I get 6 more tails).  Do I really need that award-winning butter that bad to pay so much extra...I think not! LOL. Maybe it's worthwhile to shop at the Q for this if you live farther away, like out west or somewhere. But if you're on the east coast, just buy it from them directly if you prefer their lobsters over other sellers.

Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

@wakefield64 I have a place in Maine - Right now it's about 8.99 lb at the docks.  If you head into a grocery store a bit cheaper- 5.99/6.99. 

The TSV price is crazy. 

@Jtdmum- That price is for a whole, live (or cooked?) lobster, right?  So once you've discarded all the shell, the price of just the lobster tail (and any claw meat) goes up.  You can't do a straight comparison.

And it also discounts the cost of shipping to those who can't get to the dock or supermarket.

Right now anyone entering Maine from out of state is required to go into a 14-day mandated self-quarantine by the Governor's orders.  It's quite strict:  no leaving your home or hotel room, no going to the grocery store or the dock, so you have to bring everything you need with you for that 14-day period.

I'm not saying that someone couldn't order lobster tails or live lobsters for less, if they shopped around.  But it's misleading to think that everyone can just go down to the dock or the local Maine grocery store to make sure they get Maine lobster.  (I've had other lobster and it's not the same as that from cold water.)

Everyone will decide what they are prepared to pay.  Good thing we all have a choice.

Respected Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

@wakefield64 wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

@wakefield64 wrote:

I think this TSV is overpriced. As a New Englander I know the prices of Maine lobster is way down. You can get 3 pounds of Maine lobster for $59.99. Greenhead lobster is caught in a section  of Stonington Maine.

My local grocery store has a flyer today showing lobster at $4.99 a pound in the shell.

Wakefield, MA?

@Biftu  Yes..

@wakefield64   What a coincidence, I lived there for 20 years.  Lovely town.

@Biftu  It is a great place...love it here..
Esteemed Contributor

I love lobster but prefer a whole one rather than just the tails.  Even if I was tempted, it's already to hot in TX to order anything perishable or has a chance of melting.  (I'm at the end of day delivery for UPS)  

What bothered me about the presention was the amount of waste.  I saw the midnight presentation and both the vender from home and Alberti had at least 24 tails just sitting there.  Maybe just show a repeat of the initial presention throught the day!  Just a thought

Honored Contributor

Just saw the presentation and no way 1)they look very UNappetizing with all the "oil" to make them shine  & 2) never would pay that kind of $$$ for me to cook them!  Esp if I overcook them (like steak) we go out!

Spouse figured out we could go 3 times to the finest seafood restaurant here in Tampa (who serve Maine Lobsters) and get all the sides including drinks at the cost of the 12!

Of course, to each their own but I like going out for a nice dinner at this price and someone to wait on me!

Trusted Contributor
They look delicious. Overpriced is a relative term. I can't afford to buy them or choose not to I should say but kudos to you if you are. We all spend our money differently. I saw a small roast at the store the other day for $36. $12.99 a lb. I thought that was ridiculous. As soon as I can though I'm going to go out to a wonderful dinner. It will cost a fortune and I plan to leave a generous tip. We deserve to splurge if we can. It's been rough.
Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

@wakefield64 I have a place in Maine - Right now it's about 8.99 lb at the docks.  If you head into a grocery store a bit cheaper- 5.99/6.99. 

The TSV price is crazy. 

@Jtdmum They fly first class to Oklahoma.  It costs a ton of money if you have any lobster at all.

I am one of those people that eats everything but the squeak!  Even the roe and often the liver.  And the little pieces of meat in the body and the meat out of the legs. . . I can't eat one in polite company! Woman Wink