Trusted Contributor

Laurie, read your own sign---LIE down, not Lay down

All day she has been looking at her sign that says the lst thing you do is LIE down. Every time she says the lst thing you do is LAY down.  You don't even have to know the difference, it you just Read what the sign says.  Lie means to recline. Lay means to put down like a book on a table.  It is like chalk on a blackboard everytime she reads it incorrectly. She will be on for 12 more hrs. So she has time to change. Some will say what difference does it make. Yes, it is a little thing, but still irritating.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Laurie, read your own sign---LIE down, not Lay down

Dont be irreated I think its just the slang of whee your grow up.  I say lay down in stead of lie too!  You must be easily irriated, grammer girl.

Respected Contributor

Do you correct people during conversations with them?

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

All day she has been looking at her sign that says the lst thing you do is LIE down. Every time she says the lst thing you do is LAY down.  You don't even have to know the difference, it you just Read what the sign says.  Lie means to recline. Lay means to put down like a book on a table.  It is like chalk on a blackboard everytime she reads it incorrectly. She will be on for 12 more hrs. So she has time to change. Some will say what difference does it make. Yes, it is a little thing, but still irritating.

Ah, so it does, except when you are correctly using the past tense of "lie," as in "I lay down yesterday for a nap."

So you see how confusing this verb can be. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

You missed the point. The big sign on the screen instructions clearly is written LIE. So she doesn't have to KNOW the correct use of the word, just READ her own sign.

No, I don't correct my friends, but they aren't on TV.  Even worse than lay and lie are I SEEN.  That is even worse, but tv personalities at least get that one right.

Trusted Contributor

I have watched Q for 20 years, & never once have I heard anyone use the word correctly!  So glad you said something!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honestly.  I don't really care.  There are some errors that bother me enough to notice them but others don't.  This is one of them.  I think probably because it has been my experience that most people use the word lay incorrectly.

And on a catty note, her name is LORI, not Laurie.  That too is all over .com and on the product description shown on the tv during the presentations. 

See how easy it is to make a mistake.  Woman Wink  

Honored Contributor

I have at least three thoughts.

One is that the hosts and vendors do not necessarily see the signs/graphics we see.

Two is that it is beyond difficult to change a person's speaking habits.  That was part of my job for many years, but sometimes I think it's even harder for a person to do than it is to stop drinking or smoking or overeating.  It's habit that takes over when we least expect it  There's nothing to walk away from or to stop buying.

Third, --yes I'd be happy to hear the "correct" term, but since English is a living language, I do believe the majority of its speakers use lie and lay interchangeably and I think Laurie's "lay" is fully accepted in our spoken language.  Not so much in writing.

Trusted Contributor

**Wink** I caught that too (at the midnight hour)! Acutally I was impressed that the sign was grammatically correct!

Honored Contributor

LOL!!! I don't know if it's right or not so I don't really care. I don't sit & watch Q either. I have to channel surf to see what they are showing. I cannot stand the nonstop talking.