Super Contributor

Re: Kitchenaid. Bowl lift vs tilt head.

I had a 6 qt bowl-life Kitchaneid mixer but I sold it and downgraded to the 5qt with tilt-head. The bowl lift was just too clumsy and inconvenient for what I needed and the 5 qt was sufficient for the cooking I do.

But the larger-motor Kitchanaid mixers only come with bowl-lift so if you need the extra power (for large recipes or bread making) then that would make sense for you.

Respected Contributor

@mm1206 wrote:

Which do you prefer and why.  Thank you

I had this,used it one time, and it sat till this year, gave it to my grandaughter, This is the worst thing I ever bought. You had to fight to get the bowl on, and fight to get it off without throwing stuff out. My Son who is a big person told me right away , send it back. I bought a hand held , and it is wonderful. I love Kitchen Aid, and all my appliance are K/A even my refrigerator. But I absolutely hated this one. It was a S/V then and I'm thinking closer to $500, I paid. Don't buy it unless your Super Woman. Haven't ask my grandaughter what she thinks, but she young and strong .

Respected Contributor

Read the reviews before purchase (on the big site and home sites...)

I started to get suspicious when none of the hosts bragged "this is the one I own!!!" and, that it only has a one year warranty...so I started checking and , well, check the reviews for yourself....

I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the pistachio one, but I've learned to do homework BEFORE purchasing these big heavy hard to return ( on MY dime) items....

They keep saying you can use this for small portion recipes, but most reviews indicate this is NOT true. The machine is designed for LARGE batches, not small ones....

Just a suggestion. Even if you sent it back by Jan 31, 2022, I think return shipping is on your dime. ....

I have a Kitchen Aid hand mixer....think I'll stick with it until a smaller tilt head comes along ...

If you get one, hope it works out for you.

I wish someone who has this one would comment on here!!!

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen 

Others have noted this TSV pro & cons.

Its absolutely a heavy duty large capacity mixer.  IMO the Pro is for those who do heavy doughs, larger batches of cookies, batters, etc.  I owned one for 20+ years and never had a problem -- yes there is a little learning curve to hook the bowl (put one side on then click into place-the little knob protrusion in the back holds in place).

The Artisan tilt head is IMO for the "everyday" baker.  I have the hand mixer by KA and is sturdy enough to do most things, except large batch of icings. 

Honored Contributor

I've only had the Pro-Lift models, chosen because they had more power and The style is more convenient, IMO. 

Honored Contributor

For me it's the tilt head all the way.  For my purposes it has plenty of power and ample bowl capacity.  Secondly, I think it's a much better looking mixer both in style and size.  I have the Artisan but had a lower wattage model previously.  I think the Artisan is just right.  

If I were really into baking I might think differently.

(My Artisan is one of the Anniversary models; light blue matte with a white bowl.)

Trusted Contributor

I purchased my Kitchen Aid mixer in 1978.  it came only in white gloss, has the tilt head, and has a four qt. glass bowl.  I do not use it as much as I did (I am 74 and do not cook/ bake as much as I did), but it still sits on my counter as I've moved from place to place.  I bought one about 20 years ago, also a tilt head, for my niece. Hers matched her stainless steel refrigerator.  I only know the head, so I cannot compare. I feel that for me, adding ingredients is easier with the head tilted back. 

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

Product rep Tina says she detaches the attachment and let's it drop into the bowl of mixed ingredients and then removes the bowl on the bowl lift design.

I own an Artisan Deluxe tilt head in Raspberry Ice. I don't need a larger one but if I did, that Silk Pink was beautiful.

@LizzieInSRQ I have both and the tilt head hasn't been on the counter for years.  So for anyone wondering I'll say why:

The tilt head is very tall when lifted up, so I have to pull it all the way out from under the cabinets.  Also, the head can flop down with a wham, which scares me.

Twice when using a tilt head I have not gotten the bowl fitted exactly into the base, although it seemed fine, and when I started the mixer the bowl came loose and wedged between the head and the stand.  It was so tightly wedged I thought I'd never get it out.  It could also have flown out of the mixer entirely I guess.

The way the bowl pops into the bigger mixer is not an issue if you've done it a few times, nor is lifting it with the handle.  So all in all to me it is simpler and easier to use.  Mine stays out on the counter and fits fine under the upper cabinets. The tilt head seems really small to me now. 

I hope this is helpful to someone.