Contributor

Kitchenaid. Bowl lift vs tilt head.

Which do you prefer and why.  Thank you

Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchenaid. Bowl lift vs tilt head.

I think the bowl lift, at least the one they're selling as the TSV, is a bit more powerful than the tilt head.  But, I specifically wanted the tilt head because the bowl lift just seemed more awkward when adding ingredients or removing the bowl  

Honored Contributor

I posted on another thread I owned a Pro lift for 20+ years.

It's to me the best, heavier motor and very easy to add ingredients.  Tilt head has narrower bowl. Perfect if you do heavier doughs,ie, cookies &breads.

I downsized to Artisan tilt head and it's not as great for me but I'm also not cooking or baking for bigger crowds anymore.

The price is great!  Of course, it would be your choice based on your needs.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess   I have the bowl lift that I bought about 20+ years ago at Mervyn's.  You are right, it's a pain to take the bowl out with the attachments.  You have to remove the attachments and try not to drag all the food out of the bowl, before you can take the bowl off. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

I've always had the tilt-head.  It's just the right size and fits nicely on my counter.

Just mho, I think the bowl-lft is more for big-family cooking or pastry chefs.

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Icegoddess   I have the bowl lift that I bought about 20+ years ago at Mervyn's.  You are right, it's a pain to take the bowl out with the attachments.  You have to remove the attachments and try not to drag all the food out of the bowl, before you can take the bowl off. 

@CAcableGirl2 

don't know if you saw the scraper made for KA beaters.  It's a great tool, you can scrape the beaters before removing.  I don't recall having the food/batter coming out of the bowl.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding but yes, beater needs to be removed before bowl can lift off.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Product rep Tina says she detaches the attachment and let's it drop into the bowl of mixed ingredients and then removes the bowl on the bowl lift design.

I own an Artisan Deluxe tilt head in Raspberry Ice. I don't need a larger one but if I did, that Silk Pink was beautiful.

Trusted Contributor

I've had a bowl lift mixer in almond that my husband gave me at least 40 years ago.  I never really liked having to remove the attachment and then the bowl.  I don't really use it much anymore, but when I saw a white tilt head at goodwill for $25, I had to get it.  So, yes, I now have two mixers!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have used both many times. For the purchase of my home's machine, I wanted tho be able to use the machine on the counter under my cabinets, so I chose the bowl lift. BIG MISTAKE. BOWL LIFT IS SUCH A PAIN. THE TILTBACK ROCKS. I'M SORRY I DID NOT GO FOR THE TILT BACK.  

The tilt back is so much easier to work with. Much easier to add the ingredients with the top part tilted back. It's also less messy. I prefer it so much more than my bowl lift. I have the bowl lift. I have the most expensive, highest capacity model that Kitchenaid made. 6 qt. 

Honored Contributor

I bought the Professional 600 (lift bowl in glossy gray) about 15-20 years ago.  I bought it at a Linens & Things during an incredible sale.  The reason was a cookie I make every year that is more like a candy with 3 flavored chips and 3 kinds of nuts. I literally could no longer stir the batter at the end.  This mixer mixes it!!  I can't do it quickly but the power in this machine surpasses every machine I've ever owned.  I'm still doing this cookie every year!  IMHO there is no comparison between Kitchenaid's tilt back model and the Kitchenaid's Professional 600.  It is the absolute workhorse of mixers out there.  Like I said,  I am still making this cookie and it is a BEAR to make, but not with this model stand mixer!! If you are lucky enough to buy one today, you won't be sorry and I think it is very much worth the price! 

BTW, I thought by now I'd have to buy another Kitchenaid mixer!!  But no, my mixer is still working with no problems and my cookies are loved and looked forward too... Yay!  Woman LOL 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*