Valued Contributor

I am not familiar with this company but what is the significance of the monkey they have attached to every bag?

New Contributor
The gorilla is their mascot.
Honored Contributor

@elruthwrote:

I am not familiar with this company but what is the significance of the monkey they have attached to every bag?

@elruth

I have seen a couple of smaller bags by this company in stores and thought they were a bit high.  Didn't understand the gorilla thing either.  I do like this bag but I still think it's kind of high!  If it were like $40, then I'd think --- o.k.!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@elruth-

I always wondered that too!

Last night I think she said (she was talking really fast of course),

that 3 women who had been traveling decided they wanted to make bags that were fun-so monkeys of- course? 🤔

But yeah they're not monkeys, they're gorillas. Actually I still don't know and it sounded like she wasn't quite sure either or didn't explain it very clearly.

Something like that.Did anyone else get a better understanding of it?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Bags always tempt me to buy... But staying a strong NO because $5.00 to ship is a big deal breaker to me !  

Hope all whobuy it, love it and use it! I have wayyyy to many nice purses that don’t get used- 

Respected Contributor

It seems like a lot for a fabric purse that looks like a diaper bag. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

It seems like a lot for a fabric purse that looks like a diaper bag. 

it does kinda now that you mention it

and it also looks like a Q-ified version of their designs 

Honored Contributor

From wikipedia:

Kipling's name was inspired by Rudyard Kipling, the author of The Jungle Book. The original designers wanted a name everyone in the world could pronounce – a name that wouldn't have any strange or unexpected meanings in another language. The monkey key-hanger is usually associated to Kipling brand. Every Kipling bag comes with a monkey key-hanger. Originally, there was only one type of monkey, which could be easily recognized by its shape and characteristic colored fur. Since Kipling has developed several collections representing several styles, the monkey evolved as well.

Now each collection corresponds to a type of monkeys. The "monkey" figure on the key-hanger is tailless, and perhaps would be better termed an "ape", however, the terms "monkey" and "ape" are sometimes used interchangeably in casual usage. T

he Kipling logo used on the Kipling website is a monkey with a tail, and so is a "monkey" by any definition. The original furry monkeys from Kipling brand have a label with a name on it. The different names come from Kipling employees all over the world. Each name corresponds to a color.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

What color or print is everyone loving?  I'm thinking about the gold but not sure.  Also like the prints and the bran color!  Would appreciate your opinions!

Super Contributor

I'm purchasing the rose gold.  Last summer, when this brand was the TSV, I ordered in the bran.  It just  didn't wow me so I returned it.  Hoping the rose gold will be more to my liking - we'll see.........