Regular Contributor

Kinski-QVC See Below, Martha Stewart Side Dishes Contain Carrageenan, A Known Inflamatory

Please move thread back to TSV and delete duplicate thread in kitchen. Thread was started in TSV and wish it to stay there. Did not know you could not discuss same topic in two areas. Thank you.

Regular Contributor

Re: Kinski-QVC See Below, Martha Stewart Side Dishes Contain Carrageenan, A Known Inflamatory

Carrageenan is a known inflamatory, approved by the FDA, but banned in many other countries. So disappointed that QVC keeps carrying products that contain this ingredient. Try googling "Carrageenan known inflamatory" and see what America's top doctors say about this ingredient. You won't want to eat it again and will wonder why manufacturers are putting it in our food.

Kinksi-QVC Thank you!

Regular Contributor

Martha Stewart Side Dishes Contain Carrageenan, A Known Inflamatory

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Kinski-QVC See Below, Martha Stewart Side Dishes Contain Carrageenan, A Known Inflamatory

Honored Contributor

I just have no intention of buying the tsv because of the price. I can make a turkey breast same size with more great sides and dessert/pie for 1/5th the cost with sales/coupons.

Regular Contributor

I agree totally!  You can make your side dishes without using harmful chemicals like carrageenan that is used in lab rats to cause inflamation. Why pay that kind of money to ingest a harmful chemical.

Regular Contributor

Try googling "Carrageenan known inflamatory" and read the top 10 results.  See what America's top doctors say about this ingredient. You won't want to eat it again and will wonder why manufacturers are putting it in our food. Make an informed purchase.

Trusted Contributor

@Zefra wrote:

Carrageenan is a known inflamatory, approved by the FDA, but banned in many other countries. So disappointed that QVC keeps carrying products that contain this ingredient. Try googling "Carrageenan known inflamatory" and see what America's top doctors say about this ingredient. You won't want to eat it again and will wonder why manufacturers are putting it in our food.

Kinksi-QVC Thank you!

I beg to differ at the wording of your topic heading. You say “Martha Stewart Side Dishes Contain Carrageenan”. That would be stating that ALL the 4 side dishes being offered contain that ingredient.

But that is not true. In fact, out of the four side dishes, the detailed nutrition information provided indicated only ONE side dish contains carrageenan. That is the spinach side dish only. The other three do not have that ingredient. Since the side dishes can be chosen for purchase, spinach could be not chosen, if the other sides are more appealing without carrageenan. 

I doubt the extent of dangers of carrageenan that you generalize about by stating the link to “inflammation”. I took your advice and researched thoroughly. Plenty of opinions with scientific basis that seem to oppose what you’re reading about excessive dangers. Picking sources you believe doesn’t make it more plausible if I can offer sources that counter those beliefs. I think your warning is generalized, irresponsible, and a big turn off for me. The substance is approved by the FDA and the equivalent agency in Europe. There are some implications that some people may be adversely affected, but it is not lethal and carrageenan is not overtly dangerous. 

http://www.foodsciencematters.com/carrageenan

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan

i think when you want to warn people and you put the warning right in the headline, you need to avoid generalizations and condemning all of the food offering and instead be honest and accurate. If you just make people believe in alarming “facts” and then you undermine your own credibility with inaccurate warnings, you might find your warnings are pretty diluted.

Even Chicken Little discovered the sky wasn’t falling. I’m not defending carrageenan, I’m saying you are out of line stating all the sides have it and that it is categorically dangerous to consume carrageenan. Neither is true. That’s not my opinion. Actual facts. With citations, not suggestions. 

Honored Contributor

There are so many things that contain carrageenan-mayonnaise, ice cream,anything that needs binding.I don't know why they keep using it when it is harmful.Just like caramel coloring or some food dyes.

I've known about it for a long time but I'm glad you pointed this out because I looked it up again.

Under webmd, it says that a certain form of carrageenan is used in France for peptic ulcers but this form is known to cause cancer, and not used in our country.

And our version is considered "safe" in the amounts in food but use with caution as a medicine (because we really don't know).

It is used sometimes to lower blood pressure, but it may prevent clotting, so thats not good.

Anyway, I'm glad I read about it again because I didn't know so much about it and what I read wasn't as scary. I did not know it was used for some medicinal things either.

Still, I'd rather not have it in anything. The more strange things we have that may affect our health down the road, I'd rather avoid them and the FDA should keep them out of food.

As for the TSV, I'll get the $100 turkey dinner right after I get  my $400 hair dryer-!🤑

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Regular Contributor

You must have not read the first 10 results that come up when you search "carrageenan known inflamatory". The fact that this chemical is used to cause inflamation in lab rats is only one reason it should not be ingested by human beings and is banned in many other countries.  Makes you wonder why our so called protective agency FDA allows it in our food. If you noticed lately, carrageenan has recently been added too many of our foods from almond milk to processed foods, but that ingredient was unecessary in those foods in the past.