Esteemed Contributor
Accepted Solution

Keurig info on 2 machines

[ Edited ]

Keurig K40 vs K55

Keurig has long had a reputation for producing excellent single-cup coffee makers.  Their products have for years many attracted a broad audience worldwide among those that appreciate the ease and convenience of the K-Cup brewing system and who like a variety of flavors that this system offers. The company provides a range of product sizes and configurations to meet every home coffee brewing need.

Keurig has introduced their newest coffee maker model, the K55 intended to replace the older K40 model.  Both models carry on Keurig’s tradition of excellent single-cup machines, using the proven K-cup brewing system.  Each produces a rich, smooth, and delicious cup every time with the quality you expect from Keurig.

What’s The Difference Between The K40 and K55?

These two units share many features in common.  They are both single-cup brewing service and are engineered for quality and long life.  They both deliver high-performance brewing utilizing the K-Cup system for consistency and convenience.

But there are several significant differences between the two units.  We’ll discuss the K40 first, then the K55 a little later.

The Keurig K40

Of the two models presented here, Keurig’s K40 Elite Brewing System is the older and is no longer available directly from Keurig. (It is no longer listed on the Keurig website.)  This could make some buyers, those who want the latest model or are concerned about ongoing product support, reluctant to purchase this unit.

As discussed above, the unit is straight forward and easy to use single-cup coffee maker, but it does lack some of the features found on Keurig’s new models.

The significant difference between the K40 and the K55 is that the K40 does not have internal water filters, leaving the brewer at the mercy of their water supply.  Those who live in areas with hard water or other contaminants may be less than satisfied with their beverage.  This issue could be of course avoided by the use of only bottled water when brewing, but this would result in increased expense and inconvenience.

Online reviews of the K40 were good, with the product receiving four stars on a five-star scale.  Many users were positive, appreciating the ease of use and the ability to make a quick cup of coffee that this machine offers.

Some reviewers, however, stated that their units only lasted a short time (less than one year).  Others reported that they missed the more sophisticated controls and features that newer models provide.

The most common negative report was that brewed coffee tasted of plastic and this off-taste took a long time after purchase to go away.  This is most likely due to the K40’s lack of water filtering capabilities.

As a discontinued item, availability of the K40 is somewhat limited and decreasing.  Many online retailers still carry some stock; however, choices could be less than on new models.  For example, Amazon.com only carries this unit in the color black.  Support for this older model will likely decrease faster that Keurig’s newer models.

The Keurig K55

The K55 is Keurig’s replacement for the older K40 model and will appeal to connoisseurs looking for the latest and greatest in single-sup coffee makers.

Unlike the K40, this model can be used with Keurig’s optional water filters for consistent flavor delivery, regardless of the original water quality.  This allows the brewer to use the unit with confidence, not worrying about off the off tastes that can be an issue in hard water environments.

These filters fit in the water reservoir and install quickly.  The cost of six filter cartridges (a one-year supply) is around $25, inexpensive when compared to the cost of bottled water if required.

The K55 also supports Keurig’s My K-Cup reusable coffee filters, allowing you to use your coffee or tea when brewing.  This unit is dishwasher safe and compatible with any cup size offered by the K55.

Being a newer model, the K44 is available from a wide range of retailers, or directly from Keurig.   The unit is available in a variety of colors to match any décor, including black, blue, white and red.

Reviews of the K55 are slightly better than those of the older model, earning 4.5 out of five stars.  A large majority of reviews were very high (five stars), with only a few negative (one star) reviews.  Of the negative reviews, reports of leaks or the unit simply not working were common.  Loud brewing noises were also reported.

Which One Should I Buy?

There is, in fact very little to choose between these two Keurig models.  Both serve the same function of a single-cup coffee maker.  Both use the same technologies and the same K-Cup brewing system.  Both have a similar user interface and the same water-holding capacity.

Our recommendation would be the K55.  With its higher overall user rating and ability to support more accessories, particularly water filters, we feel that this product would be a better value.  We also liked that the product was in production and fully supported by Keurig.  As a bonus, the K55 comes readily available in a range of colors, easily fitting in with any home décor.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Keurig info on 2 machines

@hopi  Hi - I just read this article online a few minutes ago.  Did you buy the Keurig TSV?  I am not satisfied with mine, so I'm sending it back.   The outer brown box said it was a K40, but the box it came in stated K55.  It is stamped on the bottom of the Keurig K40.  This is an older, discontinued model.  I just feel I didn't receive what was advertised.  Customer Service told me today they do not have any K55 Keurigs to send as replacements.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@katte wrote:

@hopi  Hi - I just read this article online a few minutes ago.  Did you buy the Keurig TSV?  I am not satisfied with mine, so I'm sending it back.   The outer brown box said it was a K40, but the box it came in stated K55.  It is stamped on the bottom of the Keurig K40.  This is an older, discontinued model.  I just feel I didn't receive what was advertised.  Customer Service told me today they do not have any K55 Keurigs to send as replacements.

No @katte, I did not buy the TSV.  Had 2 Keurigs. Bottom line the coffee does not taste that good, it does not brew at a hot enough temp and the small run thru on the tiny cup gives it no chance for true flavor.

I posted the article because  it is really wrong for this to happen, Q is banking on half the people saying it's no big deal. A large number will never figure it out and a whole lot of people would not have purchased the older model to begin with.  Q has done this type of thing before and I have been fooled. Purchasing this would have been a shame on me moment.

Shame on Q.  They knew.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I tried to get on board with the keurig never enjoyed the k-cups. 

Mr.Coffee wins the challenge for me. Simple uncomplicated and HOT.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@katte wrote:

Hi @katte I bought the Keurig TSV and the outer brown box and the box with the Keurig BOTH said K55 but on the bottom of the machine it said K40

I bought it for a very special friend for Christmas that has hard water and wanted the internal water filter, but the K40 doesn't have it. QVC Customer Service was very helpful and is sending a new one and hoping it will be a K55

I am returning the one I received. Hope the new one that is coming by this Friday will be the K55

Honored Contributor

Very interesting and not surprising, not just with Keurig but with other unrelated items with upgrades and different versions--like cooking appliances.    I've always felt QVC takes all the "old" versions and gets rid of them for manufacturers, which makes them more like a Dirt Cheap store or an Ollie's -- discount retail stores.

"We picked up all the remaining inventory to bring you the best price possible"

How many times have I heard DV say this.

I jumped on the Keurig train and didn't take me long to jump off.   The coffee drinkers who like flavored coffee seem to enjoy the versatility.    I went back to buying beans, grinding them myself and using my little 4 cup Mr Coffee.

Occasional Contributor

It won't be the 55. They have sent me three now. I kid you not. Actually was told they would pull,them and get a 55. Sure. Next, they'll ask me to believe in 

Santa and the Easter Bunny. They have spent more on expedited shipping and my free returns than the machine is even worth. I'm writing the main office a snail letter because QVC violated the Fair Trades practice law. The best part is QVC sent out an email the other day with a video showing how to use your new Keurig k55. 

Frequent Contributor

I just wanted to mention to all that I bought the K55 Keurig as a TSV in August and didn't even know that it was really the K40 until I read about this in the forum.  I checked under my Keurig coffee maker  and saw that it did say K40.  My Keurig works well so for me it isn't a problem.

Just wanted to mention that I was at Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday to buy some more

k cups.  I just happened to look at the bottom of the K55 that BB&B was selling.  Sure enough, the bottom of the machine said K40, so I just wanted to let everyone know that QVC did not misrepresent this TSV.  Apparently, for some reason the K40s are now being sold as K55. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NJ QVC Fan

We purchased the TSV Keurig too.

I called QVC about it. Rep didn't have any info on it.

We called Keurig. Rep there said it is the same exact machine. No need to exchange it only if people don't like it.

QVC is not pulling a scam like some previous posters think.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks three cees

I agree that this definitely was not a scam.  I don't know why someone would even think that QVC was misleading the viewers.

I use filtered water for my Keurig so I don't even need the included filters that came with my Keurig.

No complaints here.  It was an excellent price for the TSV, especially with all the extras that came with the unit.