Honored Contributor

Re: Keurig = a plastic disaster

@Sooner wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Wonder how many Keurig bashers go out for an iced coffee in a plastic cup and plastic straw and dump it in the trash?  Millions and millions and millions......

@Johnnyeager Or use bath gels in plastic when they could use bar soap even somewithout a wrapper at all?

Or take a newspaper when they could read it online?  Or a book or a magazine?  Or buy liquid detergent when they could buy powdered in cardboard?  And on and on.

We went to plastic a long time ago to save the forests.  So what about the trees and all those paper straws?

It's like people advocate electric cars . . . and never think about where that electric power comes from. . . 

@Sooner @Johnnyeager  , I also have to wonder, for the plastics that actually do get recycled, how environmentally friendly is the process to turn them into new consumer products.  It all seems to be a catch-22 situation.  

Esteemed Contributor

It turns out that much of the plastic that we think we are recycling is actually sent to the landfill.  The markets for plastic have not evolved rapidly and those that did exist (China) no longer take our supplies.

A very efficient way to deal with plastic (and other discarded waste) is mass burn incineration  However, the eco-environmentalists are also opposed to this.

The new, modern facilities recycle metal through recovery and quickly incinerate at super high temperature quickly.  The emissions are extremely clean due to modern cleaning and recovery methods and the remaining ash is then used as pavement material or is landfilled at a fraction of the volume of the original waste.

Respected Contributor

True about Keurig-bashers probably using [gasp!] a plastic straw and cup. Same for the customers in line at the supermarket, smirking as they see others using plastic bags, while they're purchasing Keurig cups or, say, Kleenex instead of using hankies. 😉

I don't have a Keurig because I prefer ground coffee, and I want it *brewed*. That said, I borrowed a relative's Keurig for a get-together at our place, and everyone had fun with it, including the kids, with hot chocolate varieties.

The point is, everyone recycles in their own way, and NO ONE is 100% "green."

What worries you masters you.
Valued Contributor

So much so that the guy who invented the Keurig almost regrets it if he only know there would be billions of empty K-cups out there.  Supposedly biodegradable cups are in the works.

Esteemed Contributor

John Sylvan is just bitter that he sold his share of the company for only $50,000.

He missed out on billions of dollars.

Honored Contributor

We cannot recycle any plastic unless it has the appropriate code on it and it is completely clean and dry.  For some items, it takes  a lot of water to get them clean.  Cans also have to be completely clean and dry.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

John Sylvan is just bitter that he sold his share of the company for only $50,000.

He missed out on billions of dollars.

@Johnnyeager Wow, is that all he got out of it?  I used to own Green Mountain Coffee which got bought out by Keurig.  I made a bunch of money on it when they went private.  Would've made more if my darn financial adviser didn't talk me into selling some of it early on.  

The one article I did read seemed to indicate not that he regretted it because of all the plastic, but that people were using something in their homes that was meant for the corporate environment, and that now they have them for entire pots of coffee.  

Honored Contributor

And we focus on straws and coffee capsules not plastic laundry detergent comes in as liquid vs. powders in boxes, or packaging for makeup, or soap bars vs. plastic body wash bottles.

What if we went to refillable compacts for face powder? 

Now why do you think that is?  Or how about red plastic cups vs. paper cups?  Plastic toys vs. wooden, makeup wipes vs. wash cloths, and on and on.  

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant 

And what about all those cosmetics and beauty products---mascaras, foundation, Argan oil, lotions, creams....I dont seem to recall anyone saying how environmental friendly the beauty industry is........🤔

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

It turns out that much of the plastic that we think we are recycling is actually sent to the landfill.  The markets for plastic have not evolved rapidly and those that did exist (China) no longer take our supplies.

A very efficient way to deal with plastic (and other discarded waste) is mass burn incineration  However, the eco-environmentalists are also opposed to this.

The new, modern facilities recycle metal through recovery and quickly incinerate at super high temperature quickly.  The emissions are extremely clean due to modern cleaning and recovery methods and the remaining ash is then used as pavement material or is landfilled at a fraction of the volume of the original waste.

@Johnnyeager 

(Yep, your right on with your first paragraph)

I posted an article awhile back which described what happens with recycling....we were sending ships of it to China which would recycle for us, but the "material" was not "clean" or properly sorted so many companies over there declined to take anymore--- so back most of it goes to our own landfills....

@Moonlady 

Some of these "environmentalist" on the Forums need to research their "cause".....And as far as climte control----unless China and India get on board then what the U.S. and Europe does makes hardly any impact at all......They focus on a handfull of companies that dont impact them, but I bet if we pointed out things that need to change that they like, they'd be up in arms about the feds invading their life!  

I am not saying I dont care about the environment ---but I prefer sensible and realistic solutions ......we shouldnt be dumping junk into our oceans... (plastic and the like that hurts animals and sea life and contaminates the seafood we eat too...) We need to plant trees, and have more green spaces and these city planners and zone commissioners need to stop creating congested places and overbuild which just adds to emmission and pollution problems....we have that problem in our city....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”