Respected Contributor

Re: Keurig = a plastic disaster

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Wonder how many Keurig bashers go out for an iced coffee in a plastic cup and plastic straw and dump it in the trash?  Millions and millions and millions......

Especially if it's Starbucks.  I see it all the time....

Esteemed Contributor

I point out every time this topic comes up that your skincare, personal hygiene and MAKE UP are packaged most frequently in some sort of plastic.  I doubt that very many Keurig haters recycle their tiny make up jars and containers for eye shadow, lipstick and mascara. 

Respected Contributor

I have two Keurigs - one upstairs so I can have coffee immediately upon getting up.  

Also use both of them when I have folks over for various occasions - they really enjoy the variety of hot drinks available - and having two makes it quicker.

Love my Keurigs!!!  NOT changing back to a coffee pot.

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

The reality is that the best tasting coffee is made using a French Press.  Unfortunately everyone in America now has no patience. The millenials wants things instantaneously.  So these types of machines flourish. I do use both a Keurig and a French Press.  Trader Joe's makes biodegrabeable K Cups.   All companies could do so, and perhaps the Government needs to intervene. 

You sure don't miss an opportunity to bash the millenials do you...

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Wonder how many Keurig bashers go out for an iced coffee in a plastic cup and plastic straw and dump it in the trash?  Millions and millions and millions......

@Johnnyeager, many places around here have switched to paper straws.  OMG I hate those things.  

That aside, the plastic drink cups can be recycled.  Whether people do or not is nother story.  I do, for what good it does.  Most K-cups cannot be recycled and I've not found any that can be.  I have found some that are compostable, but that is different.  

I'm another Keurig user on the weekend and I'm not going to stop.  I'm waiting for my 72 pack of Starbucks Holiday Blend k-cups to arrive as we speak.  LOL   

Honored Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@Reever wrote:

The reality is that the best tasting coffee is made using a French Press.  Unfortunately everyone in America now has no patience. The millenials wants things instantaneously.  So these types of machines flourish. I do use both a Keurig and a French Press.  Trader Joe's makes biodegrabeable K Cups.   All companies could do so, and perhaps the Government needs to intervene. 

You sure don't miss an opportunity to bash the millenials do you...

Yesterday she was fed up with Keurigs and how they break all the time. She was singing the praises of a Mr. Coffee coffee pot.  

And now in this post she's bashing millenials as having no patience but yet she admits she too uses a Keurig.  Woman Frustrated 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recently went to a Mexican restaurant where the frozen Margaritas were served with paper straws.  I must go through 3 or 4 straws, all ending up in the trash.  Manufacturing paper is not an inexpensive, efficient or environmentally friendly process, but few understand or appreciate that.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regarding the great Keurig debate; I make my own iced tea by the pitcher and refrigerate it. Too $$ to make it with my Keurig.

I am one person. I drink coffee and tea occasionally, and just one cup at a time. The Keurig is perfect for one. I have the model that also makes lattes and my fave: cappuccino. No need to go to the coffee shop when I want one at night and I can offer a variety of coffees to guests. 

My Keurig is perfect for me. I see many brands are offering biodegradable K-cups now, although not sure if they brew in the same way.

@Lipstickdiva : I do NOT want the Government to intervene in my coffee!

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

@Johnnyeager, many places around here have switched to paper straws.  OMG I hate those things.  

That aside, the plastic drink cups can be recycled.  Whether people do or not is nother story.  I do, for what good it does.  Most K-cups cannot be recycled and I've not found any that can be.  I have found some that are compostable, but that is different.  

I'm another Keurig user on the weekend and I'm not going to stop.  I'm waiting for my 72 pack of Starbucks Holiday Blend k-cups to arrive as we speak.  LOL   

@Lipstickdiva , around here those plastic cups are not recyclable.  For whatever reason, our recycling facility only accepts small mouth bottles, so even things like plastic egg cartons, fruit cartons, and my husbands big container of protein powder are not allowed.  I remember plastic straws from when I was a child and I hated them then.  The new recycling company doesn't even accept glass.  As far as K-cups, I would prefer compostable over recyclable since that means you can throw them away and they will eventually degrade.  We do compost, so that would be convenient for us assuming they degrade in a reasonable amount of time.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I recently went to a Mexican restaurant where the frozen Margaritas were served with paper straws.  I must go through 3 or 4 straws, all ending up in the trash.  Manufacturing paper is not an inexpensive, efficient or environmentally friendly process, but few understand or appreciate that.

@Johnnyeager, I was first introduced to them on our last cruise.  I had the same problem as you did with my thicker drinks.  Apparently I found out many people bring metal straws with them on cruises because they hate the paper straws.  LOL