Respected Contributor

Re: Keurig = a plastic disaster

@Reever wrote:

@barrel racer wrote:

I’ve had two quit on me.

Im afraid more and more Chinese manufactured products will be "quitting" soon ... The Chinese are upset with the US tarrifs and it would not surprise me in the least if they are using sub-standard Chinese plastics. God only knows what they could be contaminating us with. 

If you really want to be upset about China's contamination - read China Rx. Globalization apparently hasn't been as good for us as we were assured it would be.

Honored Contributor

Then by all means don't use them. It is an easy solution @ellaphant . It doesn't give you the right to decide for everyone else

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

To all so offended by my post.....every bit of plastic waste hurts, no matter how you justify it.

I'm not offended @ellaphant because I understand your point. Another thing I think about is all the adult diaper products being advertised with gels and such inside for absorption. Are they biodegradable?

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Yeah, here we go again: The Great Keurig Debate that sprouts up during every TSV.

Let me get this out of the way:  I love my Keurig....I will not stop using my Keurig, its offspring or successors or any of its plastic pods.

If you choose not to, that's fabulous, but so long as it's not illegal (that might change of course) I'll buy and use them.  More and more pods are recyclable if users bother to do it, but most plastic is not recycled any way.

Now we will have lectures about how to use an old fashion coffee pot, drip machine and Farberware percolator or the virtues of not drinking coffee at all.

Carry on.

no one b----tchg about disposable diapers

Esteemed Contributor

That's because the Eco-Hypocrite only go after and bash products they don't use or want.

If you don't use a Keurig it's an easy target.

They never cite plastic or landfill bound  items they covet.

Esteemed Contributor

I got my first Keurig 10 years ago.I'm On on my second one. I absolutely love it,period. I will never give it up!! I love the convenience of using one pod per cup & tossing it.

There are other more pressing issues we should be focusing our attention on.JMO.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had mine about 6 or 7 years and i's still going.

It did stop working several times, but I've found that it I give it a rest and let it dry out, it resumes working.  I think the boiler mechanism needs an occasional break.

Sounds weird, but it has worked for me.

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Yeah, here we go again: The Great Keurig Debate that sprouts up during every TSV.

Let me get this out of the way:  I love my Keurig....I will not stop using my Keurig, its offspring or successors or any of its plastic pods.

If you choose not to, that's fabulous, but so long as it's not illegal (that might change of course) I'll buy and use them.  More and more pods are recyclable if users bother to do it, but most plastic is not recycled any way.

Now we will have lectures about how to use an old fashion coffee pot, drip machine and Farberware percolator or the virtues of not drinking coffee at all.

Carry on.

no one b----tchg about disposable diapers

That's not true. Plenty of people do. QVC does not sell disposable diapers, so you aren't going to see that here, but believe me, it's a thing.

People also rant about disposable feminine products like pads and tampons. There's a movement to use reusable products, from menstrual cups to washable cotton pad and absorbant underwear that allows women to go without anything.

It's not just the Keurig.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Wonder how many Keurig bashers go out for an iced coffee in a plastic cup and plastic straw and dump it in the trash?  Millions and millions and millions......

@Johnnyeager Or use bath gels in plastic when they could use bar soap even somewithout a wrapper at all?

Or take a newspaper when they could read it online?  Or a book or a magazine?  Or buy liquid detergent when they could buy powdered in cardboard?  And on and on.

We went to plastic a long time ago to save the forests.  So what about the trees and all those paper straws?

It's like people advocate electric cars . . . and never think about where that electric power comes from. . . 

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

I am right there with you... So shameful. People don’t care about our world.  Good luck to our children’s chilren, living with all the garbage landfills. 

Well, there are caves and candles but I don't see a big rush to these either.  And not flying in airplanes, which doesn't seem to be catching on with many people. . . 

What I see is people focusing on little things that have little to do with the overall issue of consumption and how we live and what we value. And seems like it is always something someone else does that causes the problem.

Then there is India.  Oh and CHINA and what they do. . .