Respected Contributor

I really like mine due to making an entire pot of coffee for myself makes no sense. Keurig allows you to  make what you need. Works well for me.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Keurig a good deal?

[ Edited ]

I had one of the old Keurigs, which lasted for around 7 years. After the pump gave out, I bought a Bunn MyCafe and I love it! It makes coffee hotter than the Keurigs, plus it has separate drawers for k-cups, hot water, tea bags, and ground coffee. I like the separate drawers because there is no carryover flavor when you switch from coffee to tea or plain water.

I think I paid around $120 for it. The only maintenance it needs is to brush the nozzles with an old toothbrush whenever they clog up with minerals.

Oh, I also like that the Bunn uses regular tap water!

dragonfly

Edited to add--I use San Francisco Bay coffee pods. Costco has them for a decent price.

Esteemed Contributor

I am happy with my Keurig which I bought as a TSV right before Christmas.

I do not use it every day. Drink only 3 or 4 cups total during the week.

I really enjoy the white hot chocolate cups which I found at Ollies.

This was my first coffee maker. Hope it lasts for a long time.

Respected Contributor

It is a good deal. It doesn't have a clock, or I might be replacing my Keurig 2.0 with one today. The one I have now has a clock that turns it on and gets it ready every morning so the water is heated before I get out of my shower. That's a plus that isn't on this machine. But my 2.0 also has a lot of issues my older version with a basic clock did not.

The larger reservoir on today's TSV is a nice feature and it's much easier to use than the 2.0 model I have.

To reduce plastic waste, I buy the pods that are 100% compostable.They must be composted in a commercial compost facility, you cannot just toss them in the back yard compost bin. But if your community has a compost option as part of the weekly trash and recycle program, you can ask them if that waste goes to a commercial compost place. My parents have that. I do not have that at home, by my office does, so I drop mine in the compost bins at my office. You can also put your favorite coffee grounds in the My K-cup thing and not use any cup at all. One comes with the machine, but you can also buy additional My K-Cups so that you can have one to use each day while others are in the wash. (I stick mine in the dishwasher.)

I spend March - October drinking more iced tea that anything else and I love how easy the Keurig is for that. I drop two tea bags into a measuring cup, use the Keurig without a pod to get the hot water, then steep and pour over ice. If the measuring cup I normally use is in the wash, I stuff two tea bags inside the Keurig pod holder, pop a plastic cup full of ice under the spout, and brew just like coffee, no K-cup. I usually make one cup of coffee a day in warm weather and about 4 times as much iced tea. The Keurig makes it all easy and I can switch flavors as easy as bags without steeping a whole pitcher of one flavor.

Whether it's hot or cold out, day or night, my Keurig is the most used appliance in my kitchen.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't drink coffee. I really don't like it.  But hubby does and  he  was grinding his own and making coffee and then cleaning the pot.  It was  to me lots of work.  I saw the Keurig advertised a number of years back and I bought HIM one.  He said he was not interested but finally tried the Keurig and liked the convenience.  So at that point I was on the hunt for sales on the K-cups which I was able to find.  Subsequent machines would only used coded cups and I found a way to get around it.  Finally I think more and more sales were available for the legal cups.  What I am trying to say is I bought one  more that only brewed the licensed products.  Then I found a way to "license them" myself.  Cut and paste I guess.  

Now for what I have  found.  Over the years the quality of the machine has gotten worse.  It is not made the same way as the original - original.  It is not the same and that is why I do believe they can sell them for less.  So I would only caution those who are buying this one to think it will last a few years... not the long long time of my original one.

Valued Contributor

@MoJoV

I ordered one.  I have been using Tassimo but there are very few coffees that I like, plus there has been some inconsistency in the one brand I use the most.  

I am counting on this to make good, HOT coffee.  I read elsewhere that it is 500 watts, so that should do it.  

We have a K55 at work, which makes good coffee,  but it is too big.  This one appears to be somewhat streamlined.  

Now, it is time to see if it makes the good "Java."  Like my mother would say, let's get a cup of Java lol.

Cheers  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@sannwrote:

I really like mine due to making an entire pot of coffee for myself makes no sense. Keurig allows you to  make what you need. Works well for me.

You're right, it makes no sense to make a full pot, but you just a single cup of coffee measuring enough water and coffee for one- no need to make a full pot. I have a coffee scoop/spoon so it's easy.

My husband's office uses a Keurig to avoid paying for employees coffee themselves and probably the problems amongst employees on who makes it, too. He found a great deal at Bed Bath & Beyond for the cups.

Honored Contributor

I have a Keurig that I bought from Costco at least 10 years ago.  It’s a keeper and I plan to keep it!  

However, it seems some of the later models have more problems. 

Valued Contributor

There is no environmental impact, you can recycle the cups. I have been doing it for years, just read the box the cups come in, coffee grounds go in my garden.  I get a wonderful organic bold roast at Aldi, 12 pack cups for 5.49.  I am a widow and making a pot of coffee is cost prohibitive.  Keurig makes sense for me.  I have the small one and love it.  Works for me.  

Respected Contributor

I love mine and use it every day.  I don’t care for the taste of the coffee k-cups.... I use the “My K-cup” that you fill with your own coffee.  Brew one large mug...then when it’s 2/3 gone, I refill with the smallest size setting using that same cup of ground coffee.  The taste is exactly how I like my coffee.  And I get just the amount I want.