Honored Contributor

Re: Keurig TSV for tomorrow 11/11/15

@MaxieMoo wrote:

I recently tried to sell my Keurig and no one was interested. I even offered to give it away... does anyone else feel this fad has passed?  It's bulky, expensive and truly inconvient (In my opinion)  Thoughts?

I love my keurig

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Valued Contributor

I had a Keurig for a long time. Purchased it in 2008 and it finally decided to give up the ghost this year. From what I understand, the ones made now don't typically last that long. I didn't even ever do anything special to that machine to keep it going. Anyway, I will say it really was convenient - and somewhat fun. But I can't say that I was ever thrilled with the quality of coffee that came out of it. The fact is - there is just no way to get the water hot enough for a good brew or to steep long enough for a good brew. It is not possible with a Keurig, period. Also there is the problem of never being able to brew freshly ground coffee... and yes - I am aware of the do it yourself pods. Been there done that - they don't work well and usually ended up clogging my machine somehow. For some people this is totally fine. It was apparently totally fine for me for 7 years. 

Once I realized my Keurig was definitely done for, I started doing some research. My husband really liked the Keurig. It was pretty convenient to just flip it on and brew a single cup at any time. For convenience this thing wins hands down. But I really was ready to give up convenience for better tasting coffee. I was sick of crappy coffee at home. I wanted my coffee to taste like when you go get coffee at a real coffee shop. You know - that flavor you can never - quite - get - at home? The reviews for the Keurig 2.0 quickly made me realize I wanted absolutely nothing to do with that machine. To make a long story shorter than it could be - I ended up being a Technivorm Mochamaster and I got what I wanted. This thing brews coffee perfectly at the perfect temperature. You have to do your part buy buying fresh coffee and grinding it right before brewing - but these machines are supposed to last 20+ years. AND THE COFFEE TASTES GOOD. No, it's not as convenient as the Keurig, and it does cost about 2x as much, but to me it was worth it. I love being able to make real tasting coffee in my own home. No more watered down stale brews here. If taste is your deciding factor - get a technivorm. If convenience is your deciding factor get a Keurig. But I won't be getting another.

Valued Contributor

I love my Keurig.  I have the TSV from Black Friday weekend from about 2 years ago.  It's convenient for me since I'm the only coffee drinker and only have about 1 or 2 cups a day.  I do feel very wasteful at times, and i know brewing my own coffee would be A LOT cheaper, but it's really the convenience that makes it worth it for me.  

Respected Contributor

Love mine.  I did upgrade to the 2.0  Everyone and their dog has made reusable cups for the 2.0  Even keurig now.  I think the TSV even comes with one.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

Love mine.  I did upgrade to the 2.0  Everyone and their dog has made reusable cups for the 2.0  Even keurig now.  I think the TSV even comes with one.

I love my keurig too!

Honored Contributor

@ctinaw wrote:

I had a Keurig for a long time. Purchased it in 2008 and it finally decided to give up the ghost this year. From what I understand, the ones made now don't typically last that long. I didn't even ever do anything special to that machine to keep it going. Anyway, I will say it really was convenient - and somewhat fun. But I can't say that I was ever thrilled with the quality of coffee that came out of it. The fact is - there is just no way to get the water hot enough for a good brew or to steep long enough for a good brew. It is not possible with a Keurig, period. Also there is the problem of never being able to brew freshly ground coffee... and yes - I am aware of the do it yourself pods. Been there done that - they don't work well and usually ended up clogging my machine somehow. For some people this is totally fine. It was apparently totally fine for me for 7 years. 

Once I realized my Keurig was definitely done for, I started doing some research. My husband really liked the Keurig. It was pretty convenient to just flip it on and brew a single cup at any time. For convenience this thing wins hands down. But I really was ready to give up convenience for better tasting coffee. I was sick of crappy coffee at home. I wanted my coffee to taste like when you go get coffee at a real coffee shop. You know - that flavor you can never - quite - get - at home? The reviews for the Keurig 2.0 quickly made me realize I wanted absolutely nothing to do with that machine. To make a long story shorter than it could be - I ended up being a Technivorm Mochamaster and I got what I wanted. This thing brews coffee perfectly at the perfect temperature. You have to do your part buy buying fresh coffee and grinding it right before brewing - but these machines are supposed to last 20+ years. AND THE COFFEE TASTES GOOD. No, it's not as convenient as the Keurig, and it does cost about 2x as much, but to me it was worth it. I love being able to make real tasting coffee in my own home. No more watered down stale brews here. If taste is your deciding factor - get a technivorm. If convenience is your deciding factor get a Keurig. But I won't be getting another.

Sorry...these machines are not meant to last 20 years. FEW appliances last anywhere near that.  My friend at HHGregg told me nothing is meant to last more than 5 years--in the appliance world.  Most are made in China and their lifespan is extremely limited.  The manufacturers want one to have to replace.

Occasional Contributor

I refuse to buy these things.  I bought a Keurig from QVC (can't remember what model), but it was a few years ago.  By 6 months it started plugging and despite maintaining it according to the manufacturer's directions, it completely stopped brewing within 18 months of the purchase.  NOTHING worked to get it going again.  It was cathartic tossing it in the trash bin!

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack

I've been getting the French Roast. too!  and, everyone who tries it buys it!  Just wanted to let you know they now offer on Amazon a variety pack of 120 cups for $30.  Tried it and like it:  French Roast is still my fave.

Esteemed Contributor

I was just watching the TSV presentation with Mary Beth and was thinking about buying this tsv.  BUT, toward the end of the hour, the vendor was going to brew a cup from the sea blue one and she couldn't.  She said a display popped up and said something wasn't functioning and she thought they had given that particular machine, "too much love", and she would use another machine to demonstrate.  Whoa, I guess she was trying to be quick thinking, bless her heart, but after that episode, I decided not to buy.  I have the personal one in the eggplant color and to be honest, I find it inconvenient.  I went back to a regular coffee maker.  I think the flubb on this machine was definitely a sign for me not to buy, whew!  Lol!  😜

Honored Contributor

There's some maintenance required to the Keurig that I have learned over the years. Put only bottled water into it rather than tap water.  There is "stuff" in tap water that clogs the tiny pinprick areas that dispense the liquid.  Change the filters when recommended. Run white vinegar through it every several months to get rid of the calcium build up.   Take a large pin or needle and gently clear the pinprick areas with the pin even when it doesn't seem clogged, it really does help.  (I have one of those tiny flashlights in my drawer right next to the brewer to help me see under there!)  Woman Happy

I know this seems like a lot to do, it isn't really.....but it's been worth it to me.....  my current Keurig is over 2 years old and I'm going to try to keep it humming along the best I can.... I really do love it!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*