Super Contributor

Re: Jill Bauer Rep for Scott Living

Didn't she leave QVC "to spend more time with my family?"

I guess that got old really quick. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

With all her different gigs, I wonder how she's going to spend more time with the family now.

"Gig" working is definitely of the moment. Just heard a career counselor confirm this recently too. Particularly post-Covid when the job market has changed, for various reasons.

I've heard Jill say what she loves about all she's involved in now is that she really feels more in control of her time. I see her as definitely being able to spend more time with family in between all these gigs. And she's had the luxury of accepting only things that work with that work/life balance it seems. So good on her.

I get it and have done it myself. While being the sole caregiver for my mom in the last 4 years before she passed last year...I was working for myself in various gigs, all related to work I'd done before, but on my own terms. It was a lifestyle choice I was able and lucky to get the opportunity to make.

I had a freelance buyer/merchandising/stylist gig for a small boutique. It wasn't everyday and hours to do the work needed by me were flexible. It gave me much more freedom and autonomy to mix work/life balance.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no feelings one way or the other about Jill but I don't see where she adds any value, other than so many love her so another selling tactic, to the presentation.  Between Pat, the brothers and calls it's to many competiting to talk.

Respected Contributor

@Chilly tulip.. my thoughts also. 🤔She emphasized how she wanted to be a fixture on the baseball bleachers ( and never have to leave) watching her son. A bit of phoniness + awkwardness (in my opinion) w/these TSV presentations.,
Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

I have no feelings one way or the other about Jill but I don't see where she adds any value, other than so many love her so another selling tactic, to the presentation.  Between Pat, the brothers and calls it's to many competiting to talk.

that's exactly what i thought @mspatmac.  it was actually uncomfortable watching so many people trying to get a word in.   why the heck does the Q have so any people presenting one item???? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChillyTulip wrote:

Didn't she leave QVC "to spend more time with my family?"

I guess that got old really quick. 

That seemed to be a misconception that has continued to be perpetuated -- for some reason a few posters had the idea that she was retiring or only planning to spend time with family, but that wasn't actually what she said in a number of videos and posts.   

I read her social media from time to time after she left, and she first took time off for family and home and little R&R just as she said she wanted to do, then gradually tried a few things such as a book club chat from home, and slowly found other things to try.   

Just my take on it, but she seems so happy, having more control over her time and the projects she chooses.

Here are a couple of things I posted 'way back when this was discussed before.

Jill's Facebook message in April 2019, immediately after the announcement on the Q, about her plans to leave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPoEoc62N8w

There also was a lengthy video chat with David Venable, and she talked about coming to a point in her life in which she wanted to find new pursuits in both family time and her career.

This was her video in May on her "Just Jill Bauer" Facebook account:

https://www.facebook.com/justjillbauer/videos/458165051655152/

It's nice to see people taking stock of their career and finding fulfilment in new opportunities.   After watching David Venable's chats I realized the extent of the demands and the restrictions of the Q host job, and even if it's as well-compensated as rumored to be I'm not at all sure I'd want to give up the bulk of my life to that.  It's clear that there's more work and stress and pressure than meets the eye -- not for everyone, for sure. 

Anyway, I'm not a "fan-girl" of any host, but I thought Jill did a fine job when she was on the Q full-time and wish her well now, as before.

Have a lovely Sunday, everyone!🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

With all her different gigs, I wonder how she's going to spend more time with the family now.

"Gig" working is definitely of the moment. Just heard a career counselor confirm this recently too. Particularly post-Covid when the job market has changed, for various reasons.

I've heard Jill say what she loves about all she's involved in now is that she really feels more in control of her time. I see her as definitely being able to spend more time with family in between all these gigs. And she's had the luxury of accepting only things that work with that work/life balance it seems. So good on her.

I get it and have done it myself. While being the sole caregiver for my mom in the last 4 years before she passed last year...I was working for myself in various gigs, all related to work I'd done before, but on my own terms. It was a lifestyle choice I was able and lucky to get the opportunity to make.

I had a freelance buyer/merchandising/stylist gig for a small boutique. It wasn't everyday and hours to do the work needed by me were flexible. It gave me much more freedom and autonomy to mix work/life balance.

Exactly, @amyb!😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@KACEE1115 wrote:

So nice to see Jill back on the queue. Has she said how old her son is now? And her daughter?

@KACEE1115   I think her daughter has been in college for a few years. I think her son is in the age group ready to graduate high school soon. 

@proudlyfromNJ @Kacee1115 

Last nights presentation she mentioned that her son was 16.

Trusted Contributor

MANY Q hosts have left, using the "more time with the family" reason.  It is a way of leaving a position without bad-mouthing an empoyer.  I have seen that reason used in many levels of business.  I do not think that it is meant to be taken literally.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched last nights presentation and I was pleased to see Jill back doing what she enjoys. She looks lovely and relaxed. I have  not noticed the awkwardness that some have mentioned with people competing to talk. Jill was as usual  well prepared, which I appreciate, and relaxing to listen to.

My idea on why she was on was because this was her first full time TSV presentation with the brothers, and perhaps they wanted to explain her new role with their brand. I am sure that as time moves on she will be like  other brand ambassadors, and speaking for the products at odd hours of the night, Jill also lives in PA and when the vendors return to the studio it will be easier for her to be in the studio versus Drew and Scott since they are very busy, and are constantly traveling all over the country for their various jobs. 

Par for the course since it seems to be impossible for QVC posters to not complain about something, the snark is out.