Respected Contributor

Re: It looks like a turkey roll??

I checked on line today for turkey dinners from Boston Market and they charge $120 for a whole turkey, spinach dip and crackers, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry relish, rolls, and a pie.  I think this Martha Stewart order is way too expensive for what you get.  I would have to get 2 orders to feed just my 6 people.......

Respected Contributor

When I buy a turkey breast, it weighs in at about 8 pounds and that includes the carcass which accounts for a substantial amount of the weight.
Trusted Contributor

@pupwhipped  That's the first thing I thought about when I saw the TSV. Looked like a processed pushed together roll.  I was looking at the video of the TSV and noticed when the slicing got closer to the middle you could see what appeared to be a thinner piece rolled or tucked under the fatter part.  So it does appear to be a real really, really, big turkey breast.

Still, I can't afford $100.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nicnacsmommy wrote:

Do the math. It doesn't add up. A turkey has two breast. That's 8 and 1/2 pounds of just breast meat on one turkey. Even with a turkey that weighs 20 pounds, the poor thing would fall beak down in the dirt. I started years ago making just Turkey Breast and none of mine have ever been shaped like Marthas.

OMG!  Best observation of all time!

ETA: when we want just a bit of turkey, I'll pick up a turkey breast from Honey Baked Ham store. Yes, they offer turkey breast, already cooked in smoked or regular glazed.

Pop leftovers in the freezer or make turkey rice soup.

Respected Contributor

@Nicnacsmommy wrote:

Do the math. It doesn't add up. A turkey has two breast. That's 8 and 1/2 pounds of just breast meat on one turkey. Even with a turkey that weighs 20 pounds, the poor thing would fall beak down in the dirt. I started years ago making just Turkey Breast and none of mine have ever been shaped like Marthas.

😂😂😂😂

Trusted Contributor

If as stated that the turkey is hormone/antibiotic free, etc., then the price is great!  Each year, we order a turkey from one of the farmers at our town's farmers market.  We will pay between 70-90 for a small turkey, 10-12 pounds and it is cut in half, vertically, as we request.  The turkeys are hormone/antibiotic free and grass/grain fed. They are allowed to roam outside.  The taste  is wonderful and worth the price.  I would order the TSV but we want dark and white meat.  

Williams Sonoma (we purchased their turkeys previously) has similar turkey breasts without sides or butter that begin at $79.95 and up (with sides). They, too, are great. If you don't, I would encourage you to try meat that is grass/grain fed, hormone and antibiotic free, and not raised in the large farms.   

Respected Contributor

Just a follow up to all who replied. Turkey roll look be d@mned. Ha! I caved and ordered one...got the spinach and mac and cheese combo. I will try to remember to give an honest review after we eat it for Thanksgiving. I sure hope it is good. Unlike a lot of people, I LOVE turkey.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply to me!

pup