Honored Contributor

@Snoopygrl wrote:

True.  What about just eating less and moving more?  

@Snoopygrl

Sometmes it's not even a matter of eating less .... just eatng different things, and eating a balanced diet.

Trusted Contributor

Every January my local YMCA is packed with new overweight members.  By mid Feburary it's back to normal.  So many people don't commit. 

Trusted Contributor

@Snoopygrl  If it were that simple everyone would be in perfect health.  

Respected Contributor

@CoffeeNut wrote:

Every January my local YMCA is packed with new overweight members.  By mid Feburary it's back to normal.  So many people don't commit. 

I think that's true of pretty much every gym / fitness facility.

Valued Contributor

Like so many people, I have used pills, drinks, meal plans (Yes Nutrisystem too), and I always lose weight. But then I gain it back with extra. The only time I lost a lot of weight was when I was ill and not able to eat much. Once I felt better, back on it went. Now I work at home so don't even walk around much and I have gained again. I am trying to do what my ex and I did once. We ate stiry fry. Lots of veggies, a little bit of meat, over rice. We both lost 30 pounds and weren't hungry. We just used a variety of veggies. 

Eating is a pleasure, so of course who wants to go without it. For me, it means eating less and exercising more. But my body seems inclined to higher than lower weight.

Honored Contributor

Good health is a 80/20 mix of diet & exercise.

And you don’t need to be jumping around like a loon to be thin.

WHAT you eat is the key.  

Eating foods which are low calorie dense & high nutrition dense.

Eat 50-75grams of fiber every day...that will eliminate many foods

which are so unhealthy.

This is a good documentary on iTunes which just came out.

Highly Recommend!

https://youtu.be/58cj_-iyfho

E4358CE4-AD15-494F-8DEC-463F3A8CF991.jpeg

Super Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

People do lose weight with Nutrisystem, as well as other diet plans.  The problem is being able to stick to those plans.  Some people just need a jump start for a month.  No matter, these diets might just be what someone needs to get started instead of automatically thinking surgery or some pill that can do harm.

@SXMGirl . . . .    You are right, you do lose weight with Nutrisystem. I lost 65-80 pounds - twice, at a total cost of upwards of $4000. Problem is, I’m right back where I started. Did I go crazy after I stopped the program? No. I am truly not a big eater. I do not exercise much, although I do walk when I can. This is due to disability, not laziness. There is no real transition or follow up plan with them.

Hugs . . . Beth 

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Esteemed Contributor

@q-girl, I hope this new year finds you in good health.  I don't diet but I do work out.  While I have no idea how much I weigh (but have an idea), more importantly than a number on a scale is how I feel.  Since I retired almost 6 years ago, I have dropped two sizes.  I have had my share of injuries (what I call sports injuries), I know that I am physically in better shape than when I was working.

The main problem that I have with any diet plan is that it is always focused on a number on the scale.  There is so much more to health and life than that.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

There are a LOT of companies selling smoke & mirror beauty products.

Super Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@q-girl, I hope this new year finds you in good health.  I don't diet but I do work out.  While I have no idea how much I weigh (but have an idea), more importantly than a number on a scale is how I feel.  Since I retired almost 6 years ago, I have dropped two sizes.  I have had my share of injuries (what I call sports injuries), I know that I am physically in better shape than when I was working.

The main problem that I have with any diet plan is that it is always focused on a number on the scale.  There is so much more to health and life than that.

@SXMGirl . . . .    Agree 100%. I used to be a smaller size and more fit. I do not look at a scale anymore, either. However, with Fibromyalgia and degenerative spinal issues that have resulted in permanent nerve damage to both lower and one upper limb, my mobility, as far as true exercise, is limited. I walk with a cane, at least if I am out of the house and cannot depend on furniture and/or walls for help. And while I will push through pain, numbness and loss of function is another thing. 

I do try to be healthy, and at 62, my PCP is always so pleased and somewhat amazed at the normal and healthy results of my annual blood work. 

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!