Trusted Contributor

Is this a good model of the Vitamix?

There are so any models, I can never decide which is which. I don't need top of the line, I just need it to fit under my top cabinets

I can't tell how tall it is.

I read the loud thread, I can deal with that. I have a Wolfgang Puck one that is probably 10 years old and it still works well enough, but I notice it is not chopping things up as good as it used to. I don't see any Wolfgang new and upgraded blenders online to compare his price.

Vitamix price seems good, but I can't really determine that either because I have seen them show units with all different prices but they always seem to be over $300.00

Any thoughts for those that have Vitamix's?

Super Contributor

Re: Is this a good model of the Vitamix?

This is the same one I bought 5 years ago and paid $400.00 for.  It is a good model, very noisy.  I wish it had the preset buttons.  I don't use it as much as I thought I would.  I just make smoothies with it

Respected Contributor

@Unhooked42 

I don't think many people use these as much as they thought they would...

You never add up the tens of dollars of veggies and fruits they show when they make 8 oz of a smoothie...and even they use a sound shield because most people can't stand the decibels of a jet engine in thier kitchen to make some tomato soup.

They DO do a great job for what they do.

The "seven year warranty" and "they never wear out"?

What product needs a warranty or wears out if the item is rarely used in the long run?

* and YES I know some claim to use them every day...for them, that is great. I don't think most people do.

How do I know? I have one. Used it in the beginning, can't recall when I used it last. YEARS ago.

And that gimmicky soup demo? Easier to open a can or add water to a packet from your gimmicky waste generator Keurig hot water maker,  or, make a large batch on the stove top and just thaw out a frozen portion.

The split personality of QVC....Half the day they're selling gadgets to cook great yummy creative home made meals from scratch for your grateful gathered family, the other half of the day, they hawk prepared, pre-packaged glop made in a factory in 10,000 gallon batches to serve at different times of the day to your staring-at-the -phone family, who all eat at different times so you need prepared glop ready at a moment's notice.

"Factory to your home freezer to microwave!!Serve in a plastic compartmentalized Lock n Lock teevee dinner wannabe container...to keep the food separated!!! ( make sure you set the lid upside down and aside so it doesn't blow up!!!)

Crazy!!! 

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen   I loved reading your post.

I've never had a Vitamix even when tempted due to the noise and all the real food I'd have to buy in order to make it worth using.

Maybe a bit confusing, however, I like easy peasy in the kitchen and most 'gadgets' don't help me. Cat Happy

I sure love the way you express yourself!

Honored Contributor

@gabstoomuch If ours quit we would replace it immediately.  It's more than 10 years old, bought refurbished from Vitamix.

It is the simple, basic model with a dial in the middle and a flip switch on the side--Model 5200 at the time.  It has done everything we need and we use it a lot.  We make soups, salad dressing, and LOTS of smoothies.

We make smoothies out of yogurt, milk, ice, fruit (often frozen from fruit about to go bad), and occasionally we sweeten them but not often.  Also some leftover veggies are blended and eaten this way--in the smoothie.

We also use leftover butternut squash, sweet potatoes in smoothies with bananas, yogurt and milk, and ice and it is wonderful!

Respected Contributor

I was looking at a Vitamix on Williams-Sonoma - it came with several attachments so that you could also use it as a food processors, etc.......it was around $800. 

Regular Contributor

Purchased in teal and lemon color back in Spring of this model from QVC. I find it a good Model and no issues. I like the fact the dry container is included and have used vitamix blenders for years. I don't mind the noise that some have pointed out. It's a substantial machine and like that fits under the cupboards. I like this model because it's not huge and yet powerful 

Esteemed Contributor

Its a decent Vitamix. The carafe is only 48oz. Mine is 64 oz., which I need. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That "gimmicky soup demo" is quite useful for those who cannot eat processed food or handle all the sodium that comes with it.

My best friend makes a delicious tomato soup in her Vitamix. The best ive ever had.  ive had really decadent ice creams and sorbets from her too. . I also like when she crushes ice amd we have hard Arnold Palmers (diet) in the summer....yum

I dont know exactky what model she has but it seems very similar to todays but pehaps larger.

Trusted Contributor

@Othereeeen Yes, to respond to your post, I use mine often and save a ton of money. I purchased a jar of "nut butter" once and paid $27 for ONE jar. I saw this presented making peanut butter and purchased mainly for this purpose. I cannot tell you how many gallons of nut butter I have made from mine in the last 5 years. Well over my purchase price of $300. 

My kids ask for nut butter every month or so and I make a batch, enough to fit into a large empty nut container. I also gave jars of nut butter one year as Christmas gifts to all the people in my family. They all loved it and asked me to make it again and some people even bought a Vitamix for this purpose only.

Now, if you are only making smoothies and such I'm sure there are options for less money.

Also, as for offering an item such as the Vitamix then offering processed foods. I think it's great they offer a variety. So many posts are about QVC bringing in more variety. To each his own. If some only eat whole foods? Great. If others buy and eat processed foods? That is their decision. I would not be interested in a whole foods only shopping channel, nor would I want an all processed food channel. It's great we have choices.