Contributor

Is the Gigaset TSV upgradeable??

I tried asking  this in the Q&A for the product a couple days ago and so far no reply and I know Customer Service does answer questions so probably the answer is no but I figured I would ask here anyways. The tablets  are currently running Android 4.2 but many newer apps require 4.4 or higher so I am looking to find out if it can be upgraded to 4.4-after all 5.0 has been out for a while and there are tablets in the BF ads for a couple major stores with simmilar specs running 5.0 for half the cost although they do not include the case or the tech support but still. I tried Googling them and the Gigaset site is only in German so I take it there will be no online support.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Is the Gigaset TSV upgradeable??

[ Edited ]

Found this answer under the FAQ's on the TSV product page. I figured the OS was not upgradable on these tablets at that price.

Q: Which version of Android OS is this?
A: The tablet is currently running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.

Q: Can the operating system be upgraded?
A: Unfortunately, the current Android OS on the tablet cannot be upgraded to a newer version. 

Contributor

Thanks Nightowlz-I missed that part of the FAQ. Still find it strange that for BF a number of stores are offering tablets ( yes even online so no worrying about stampedes) with similar specs running 5.0 at half the price ( without the case or stylus but still). Oh well - I guess the V (Value) in QVC is a thing of the past.
Honored Contributor

@FranCNY wrote:
Thanks Nightowlz-I missed that part of the FAQ. Still find it strange that for BF a number of stores are offering tablets ( yes even online so no worrying about stampedes) with similar specs running 5.0 at half the price ( without the case or stylus but still). Oh well - I guess the V (Value) in QVC is a thing of the past.

Yes & you can probably find nice cases that fit at very reasonable prices on EBay.

New Contributor

the TSV is for 2 tablets, not one

Honored Contributor

I figure these cheapie tablets are just a waste of money.  We've heard horror stories about others Q has sold.  It's a shame as people who never owned a tablet get excited about them, then they don't work as advertised and they're so disappointed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

@beachbaby299 wrote:

the TSV is for 2 tablets, not one

I understand that - my price comparison meant to say that in BF ads there are tablets with the same specs ( and running Android 5.0) that are half the price of the individual tablets so in other words you could buy 4 tablets for what you are paying for 2 including buying cases on e-bay. If someone wants  to pay twice the price for these with an outdated Android version so you can get butterfingers protection  and handholding  for a year and don't need to run the latest apps then I suppose these could be a good deal.

Contributor

Thanks so much for the info...Ididn't realize the system was outdated.  Cancelling my order now!  Where are the others running 5.0 you mentioned for black friday??

Honored Contributor

@nw614 wrote:

Thanks so much for the info...Ididn't realize the system was outdated.  Cancelling my order now!  Where are the others running 5.0 you mentioned for black friday??

you can search the web for Black Friday sales now

Happy you realized the limits of the tablets :-)

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I figure these cheapie tablets are just a waste of money.  We've heard horror stories about others Q has sold.  It's a shame as people who never owned a tablet get excited about them, then they don't work as advertised and they're so disappointed.

I guess if you are giving it to a kid it might be OK, but maybe a little kid doesn't really need one