Contributor

Is the DB faux fur throw a good buy?

For the past few years I've been tempted to order the DB throw but have hesitated.  For those of you who have ordered it before, do you recommend it?  Is it a good throw for the price?  Thanks for your input!

Respected Contributor

Re: Is the DB faux fur throw a good buy?

I ordered last year's model, and was impressed.  It was a Christmas gift.  It is above average in terms of quality of the fur and weight of the blanket.   You can get similar for less money, but IMO, they are not as plush.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I have one from a couple of years ago.  It makes a lovely decorative piece, but I never found it to be warm enough to snuggle up with....as in taking a nap!  However, great quality and lovely to look at and feel.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a few of the Dennis Basso throws in the past. They're nice, but not large enough to really snuggle comfortably (feet hang out of the bottom), etc. One side is furry, the other side is plain. They aren't cheap either. Last year (I think in October), there was a Berkshire throw that came in a few colors that was not expensive, and very large - it was huge, gorgeous and warm. I bought (7) of them; kept 4 for ourselves and gave the others away. Everyone loved them! In my opinion, I would wait for an upcoming Berkshire throw.

Respected Contributor

I have one from 2 years ago and it has been washed and dried and looks like the day I got it.  It doesn't shed at all.  I have also given them as gifts and all have raved about them.  I tpersonally find them very warm.  And, yes, for this quality and ease of care i think it is a great buy.  Someone gave me a similar throw from a different manufacture for Christmas last year, and it says dry clean!  They want $30. to dry clean, so needless to say that is not happening!

Trusted Contributor

@Paisley Park wrote:

For the past few years I've been tempted to order the DB throw but have hesitated.  For those of you who have ordered it before, do you recommend it?  Is it a good throw for the price?  Thanks for your input!

I have one of the original ones that is huge and very heavy.  I love it and use it throughout the winter.  I've also purchased the more recent ones.  They are much lighter and smaller than the first one I bought.  I've given tons of the originals and the newer ones as gifts.  I wish DB would bring back the very first one he ever offered, but I'm sure at this point, the price would be astronomical.  The newer ones are throws, while older one is more of a blanket.  

Frequent Contributor

2 years ago I ordered 2 of his throws, when I opened them I fell in love with them, they were soft and kept me warm when I used them to snuggle. Because of that experience I  purchased 2 more last year, when I took them out of the box I could feel they were not the same, they didn't have that plush feeling, they were very thin; I ended up returning them. I'm considering purchasing this years because a reply to a question in the items section stated that Dennis read the reviews from last year were people had noted the thinness, so he made this years thicker. If they are the same quality (or better) than my first ones I feel they're worth it for that reason. Side note, usually Sams Club sells this type of throw this time of year, I "think" they may be cheaper but they aren't machine washable, they have to be dry cleaned. Actually, I'm using one of mine at this moment 😁

Trusted Contributor

@labloverrr wrote:

2 years ago I ordered 2 of his throws, when I opened them I fell in love with them, they were soft and kept me warm when I used them to snuggle. Because of that experience I  purchased 2 more last year, when I took them out of the box I could feel they were not the same, they didn't have that plush feeling, they were very thin; I ended up returning them. I'm considering purchasing this years because a reply to a question in the items section stated that Dennis read the reviews from last year were people had noted the thinness, so he made this years thicker. If they are the same quality (or better) than my first ones I feel they're worth it for that reason. Side note, usually Sams Club sells this type of throw this time of year, I "think" they may be cheaper but they aren't machine washable, they have to be dry cleaned. Actually, I'm using one of mine at this moment 😁

My original DB said it was dry clean only.  Did that once.  Cost me a mint.  Next time, I threw it in the washer and dryer and guess what, it came out perfect. Don't know anything about the Sam's Club throws.  

Frequent Contributor

I have purchased several over the years and have noticed a decline in quality. With that being said, the first one I bought several years ago is heavenly! It's warm without being too heavy and launders so well. I'm not sure of the size; maybe 58" x 60". The throw last year is of a lesser quality, lighter weight, same size, but launders just as well. Needless to say, Hubs and I call dibs on our favorite one first! *winkwink*

I placed my order for this DB TSV as soon as the number popped up. It should deliver today. I'll let y'all know. And if it's as comfy as it's been presented today, I'm going to order a few more!

Esteemed Contributor

These are the best throws that I have purchased over the years. I have quite a few and have given them as gifts. They launder well and look like new. This is a great price and the largest size.