Esteemed Contributor

Is air fryer same as small convection oven?

I don’t understand how the air fryer would be different from my Breville oven, which includes convection cooking (among other options). Can somebody clarify the difference? I’m always looking for new, easy ways to cook for one person, so I’m interested in the TSV. Any info you care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Re: Is air fryer same as small convection oven?

According to various air fryer vendors, the air fryer uses Rapid Air Technology.  It makes the air flow faster than the convection oven. So, the food turns out crispier.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 I also have a Breville oven and love it. I wasn’t sure about the air fryer and tried it. I have the 5.3 Cooks Essentials and love it. It also has a year warranty. I have had mine for 1 year this week.

There is a difference as the air fryer is no problem to clean and fast. It does basically what the convection does with the air flowing around the food. I also can use my Breville oven and my airfryer instead of heating a large oven. It can crisp up food as you like it. Open the drawer with the food and check it halfway through to get what you like just right.

It is very similar and it does depend on what you make. For cookies I would use the oven. To make a small amount of something I use the air fryer. The steaks come out awesome in the air fryer. I love cornish game hens in the air fryer also. Even though there are just the two of us I do like the larger air fryer as you are not limited in what you make as a smaller one. I have made a 5# chicken in the air fryer and clean up was easy and the chicken was delicious.

The air fryer really doesn’t take up much space and I have a limited amount of counter space in my kitchen.

Watch a few videos of the Cooks Essental air fryer and Todays Special value but remember there is only a 60 day warranty on todays.

Trusted Contributor

@MKR14

You've made excellent points regarding the air fryer. I too, own the Breville, which I love and use daily. It is my toaster as well. I've always been under the impression that one doesn't need the air fryer if we own a convection counter-oven. I roast vegetables among other things in my Breville. 

My question is what happens to the grease splatters with chicken and other greasy foods cooked in the air fryer? Where does that grease accumulate and how is that cleaned? 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

I have a Breville oven with the convection that I use in place of my big oven. I love that thing. I did order the TSV but cancelled when I read it only had a very short warranty---60 days is not long enough to fix any problems that pop up and I know you can return by the end of Jan. So will wait and prob go to AMZ to buy--most the brands have a multi year guarantee for very few $.  

Regular Contributor

probably a smart decision. Most of the issues seem to arise after a month- they stop working in some cases but by far the biggest complaint I have seen is that the non-stick coating starts flaking off, which means you are eating it. I would love one but won't buy for that reason.

Honored Contributor

I was going to purchase an air fryer as I don't cook with oil and we enjoy a treat of potato fries.  We don't eat meat, so buying mostly for the fries.  I was reminded that there was a convection selection on the oven and I had never used it before.  I love it!  The fries are  perfect and I don't have to store another small appliance in my kitchen.

Respected Contributor

The grease will go to the bottom section and you just wipe it out and then clean the pan after you cook it. It cleans up easily. Then after you clean any fat out of it. Just put some dish soap and hot water in the bottom portion that hold the basket Set the basket in the bottom portion and let it sit while you eat. Wash and rinse and dry. I don’t put my basket or the bottom that hold the basket in the dishwasher. It has never had the non stick come off. 

Hope this helps. 

If the chicken has a lot of grease put a cup of water in the bottom to make sure it does smoke. It says to do that if cooking bacon also. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

No, air fryer is much better.