Trusted Contributor

Re: Instant Pot TSV, Is it All That?

I have an 8 quart and I love it. I make stock often and this saves alot of time over the slow cooker or on the stove. I also use it for cold start yogurt and that is delicious and easy. I also have a foodi so the instant pot has been on a little break lately. But I still love it and would probably order the tsv if I didn't have one. I like the way you can release steam without touching the steam knob. I think it's a good deal. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Shiloh09  I have the miniZo now and I use recipes from the book that came with it.  My favorite other recipe book for bread is "The Bread Machine Cookbook Revised Edition" by Donna Rathmell German.    I've been making all my bread for three years now and only buy store bought rolls for my Christmas company.  Otherwise don't buy bread at the store.  (I had stopped using a bread machine for many years then started again three years ago and had to get a new bread machine.  Glad I did.)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with another reply, corn on the cob is so good. After the pot gets up to pressure it only takes one minute per cob.  As Martha Stewart suggests, I add a bit of sugar to the water.

I waited until last year and purchased the 8 quart InstaPot Ultra 10 in 1.  I am so happy that I waited for this version.  The "ultra" function allows the unit to perform Sous Vide! While I have yet to do this cooking method, I will not need to buy a seperate and expensive Sous Vide machine when I do.  

I use my IP at least 2-3 times a week.  Even though it is just me, I wanted the 8 quart capacity to do corn on the cob (cross-stacked on a rack) and corned beef and cabbage, which is bulky at first.  I cook navy bean soup, black bean soup, steel cut oatmeal, biscuits and gravy (only 1X a year), applesauce, white chicken chili, lentil soup, various chicken recipes, butternut squash soup, and so much more.

I love the 8 quart capacity and would not have been happy with the 6 quart.  I learned this from having a 6 quart slow cooker!

Respected Contributor

For those of you that are a bit shy about using the IP, read the instruction manual first.  They suggest you learn to boil water (under pressure) first.  As ridiculous as it sounds, it is great advice.  I am glad I did this first.  It gets you to go through the basic functions without ruining any food. 

The first time I made lentil soup, I got the "burn" signal even though I had more than enough vegetable stock in the pot.  I had the steam valve pushed and locked to where all of the liquids were being released, duh, duh, duh!

Youtube and Pinterest are very helpful resources too!

Contributor

Just wondering....I don't see an 8 quart model listed on QVC.  Do they ever offer them?

I see that a couple of people like that size.  Maybe it is too large for shipping?  I wonder if it is a lot bigger on the counter than the 6 quart model.  I just thought I would ask for some opinions.  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I’m ordering it!  With all the extras, price is pretty good. I cook daily, and I’m working (busy), and FB has some great recipes.  Hubbie has stomach issues, can’t have onions (P!TA), so I always cook from scratch and double-batch everything, and we eat it twice.  I think it will be a time saver, work saver for me!  Thanks so much - Skye 💝

Trusted Contributor

It looks like a fantastic model and I'm tempted to get one as an upgrade from the duo I've been using for a few years! The price is great. Look at the price of other duo plus models out there that don't have the Sous Vide function!

Frequent Contributor

Yes! I have 3 already ...lol... I was one of the original buyers of the IP in 2012. I have the original pot first generation.... then an up graded duo 4 years later... then I also got an 8 qt last year! I have the glass lid(a must have) and an extra stainless insert. Love them all! I use one or more 3-5 times a week. I can yell you each new pot and upgradehas been noticed and a great improvement. I pulled the trigger on this deal because of the sous vide. I’ve been researching this cooking method for almost 4 years and I am really interested in it,since I am fully trained on the IP I am so excited to get this model! Yes my original ip is still working at my mothers house....great product! I am so amazed at the Facebook group. I left face book about 3 years ago when the instant pot group was at 50,000...now it’s almost 2 million . I will admit that is one place I truly miss on Facebook.

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

@Shiloh09  I have the miniZo now and I use recipes from the book that came with it.  My favorite other recipe book for bread is "The Bread Machine Cookbook Revised Edition" by Donna Rathmell German.    I've been making all my bread for three years now and only buy store bought rolls for my Christmas company.  Otherwise don't buy bread at the store.  (I had stopped using a bread machine for many years then started again three years ago and had to get a new bread machine.  Glad I did.)

@Daysdee @Shiloh09 I'm with Daysdee about my bread machine.  Store bought can't compare!  The mini Zo just never turns out a bad loaf.

I had a gift card last spring and bought the new Zojirushi Maestro.  It's white bread I don't think is maybe as good as the Mini Zo, but the whole wheat bread is the best ever, bar none! 

Whatever brand you have, check the maker's website for recipes first.  And we love ours so much we measure out several loaves ahead for all the dry ingredients and have labels telling us what liquid and yeast to add.  It's like bought mix convenience but better ingredients and no so expensive!  

I am always glad to find other bread machine advocates!  It's fun to make the bread and so good!  You lift that top and the smell is fantastic. 

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 wrote:

I have an 8 quart and I love it. I make stock often and this saves alot of time over the slow cooker or on the stove. I also use it for cold start yogurt and that is delicious and easy. I also have a foodi so the instant pot has been on a little break lately. But I still love it and would probably order the tsv if I didn't have one. I like the way you can release steam without touching the steam knob. I think it's a good deal. Smiley Happy

@Renata22 I make yogurt all the time in a yogurt maker and the IP but I've never done the cold start.  Could you enlighten me on that?  Many thanks!