Regular Contributor

I currently do not have the Instant Pot, but after reading so many rave reviews, I would like to purchase.  I do like to "batch" cook to have leftovers for certain meals, so I am not sure the 6qt is big enough.  Anyone having both sizes of the Instant Pot, I would love to read your feedback regarding the two sizes.   Thanks so much!

Honored Contributor

I have a 6qt and have never felt the need for a larger pot.  If, anything, I've considered getting the mini for when we travel.  The answer to your question is personal...do you cook for large groups of people or is there just the two of you.  No matter which you decide to purchase, you will love your IP!

Respected Contributor

@Suz614

There are some reviews regarding that issue on youtube. One woman said after receiving the 8 qt to test she would favor it over the 6 qt that she has been so happy with. You might want to listen to some of those reviews.

Honored Contributor

Re: Instant Pot 6qt vs 8qt

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd For big batches to freeze, get the 8 qt. 

Frequent Contributor

I had to make the same decision.  I was afraid the 8 quart would take up to much space or be too heavy.  I went to Sur La Table where I could see all sizes.  I decided the size wasn't that overwhelming so I bought it and I'm glad I did.  It's so nice to make larger size roasts with as many vegetables as I want.  When I used the 6 quart Cooks Essentials I was sometimes restricted on the quantity that it could hold.  I also wanted to be able to cook lots of ribs in it.  It is nice to be able to increase the recipe and have enough for additional meals.  It also gives you a larger pot to allow more room for making a cake or anything else that requires a round pan.  

Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for all of your replies. Besides my DH and myself, I have twin 12 year old boys.  Sounds as if the 8qt is the way to go.  If this price is awesome though, I may jump on this as my crockpot is on the way out.  Decisions, decisions!

Thanks again and Happy Sunday!

Respected Contributor

I'm holding off until I can find a great price on the 8 Quart IP.  I only have a slow cooker now, but sometimes wish it were the 8 quart. When I cook something like cabbage and corned beef, I need more space for the cabbage until it cooks down. I either have to leave the lid ajar, or add less cabbage than the recipe calls for.  I only make this once a year, but I want more space at the top and sides.

Since I store my cooker in a space where there is plenty of vertical space, I will wait for the larger IP capacity.  I don't think the footprint (diameter) will be an issue either.

Respected Contributor

@jpie wrote:

I'm holding off until I can find a great price on the 8 Quart IP.  I only have a slow cooker now, but sometimes wish it were the 8 quart. When I cook something like cabbage and corned beef, I need more space for the cabbage until it cooks down. I either have to leave the lid ajar, or add less cabbage than the recipe calls for.  I only make this once a year, but I want more space at the top and sides.

Since I store my cooker in a space where there is plenty of vertical space, I will wait for the larger IP capacity.  I don't think the footprint (diameter) will be an issue either.

Check Amazon frequently. A few days ago they were selling the 8 qt. for $89 now the price is back up.

Super Contributor

I saw a 7 in 1 at target today for 69 something. It looked kind of small. I don't know how full you could stuff it. I can't decide 6 or 8. I ordered and canx twice. I like the little one so I can cook for myself somethimes. I wonder if the food will stick too, like rice or oatmeal.

Honored Contributor

I have the 6qt and I cooked a 5 1/2 lb whole chicken in it, easy peasy---I thought about getting the 8 qt , but the 6 is big enough for my 3 person fam----last night I made black bean soup in it--delicious--any have alot for another meal  and to freeze too. 8 qt would be prefect for family cooking!!!