Frequent Contributor

A good rule of thumb is never buy a product with an SPF number and retinol in its list of ingredients – the two don't make a good combination:

http://blogs.webmd.com/healthy-skin/2011/08/retinol-when-to-use-it-and-when-to-avoid-it.html

Honored Contributor

Re: IT Cosmetics needs to know:

Hmm...I only use a retinol or tretinoin at night.  

Are you saying that the upcoming TSV has this as well as a sunscreen?

I haven't checked out the fine print yet.  I do want and need the sunscreen in anything I use during the day.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting such excellent information. Posters on these forums rock!

Esteemed Contributor

What does this have to do with IT cosmetics?
Respected Contributor

Sorry, for the additional post, however, Jamie touts her products as special since they work with dermatologists and science, they take years to develop products.

This really makes me wonder, this  no no of mixing of retinol and spf is skin care 101. 

Not only will retinol and spf not work together it ages skin and can damage skin!

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:
What does this have to do with IT cosmetics?

I think she is making a comment on the upcoming TSV.  

Honored Contributor

Looking at the video easy pass for me. Dewy foundations no thanks.
Honored Contributor

I like dewy!  If I look too shiny, I can always brush on a bit of powder.  I'm more concerned with the interaction among the ingredients.

Tired and going to get ready for bed soon, but I want to look into this more tomorrow.

Respected Contributor

It's really confusing, what's going on now with products. I've just come from the Neutrogena website (there, BTW, they are packing the reviews with people who got free product, which just disgusts me), but anyway, they have two day products in the Rapid Repair line with "Accelerated Retinol SA" listed as SPF 30.

Honored Contributor

The new, over-the-counter retinols are delivered gradually; they're absorbed by your cells and converted to retinoic acid over the course of many hours, says New York City dermatologist Dennis Gross, MD. You still get the turnover, but it's more controlled -- that's what makes them safe to use during the day. Plus, the new retinols also come mixed with antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, sunscreen, and moisturizers -- so they're even less irritating than they were before.

http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/how-to-use-retinol

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein