Esteemed Contributor

Re: I would LOVE to have a robot vacuum....

@Havarti wrote:

If you have a pet...and if your pet ever has accidents in the house, or hurls up "stuff' with hairballs...just remember that Roomba is looking for a mess.  Once Roomba finds poop, pee, or vomit, etc. it will go over it and over it and then go all over your lovely home in random patterns.  Sometimes this means it "paints" your floor in abstract patterns with whatever substance it is dragging along with it.  You will need to spend a good amount of time cleaning up after the Roomba has made its rounds.  Just a visual to consider that you might not have thought of before.  Ha!

EWwww!

Well, there goes the thought of that.

I'm afraid my lab would see that thing moving and think it was a play thing and then there we would be.

If I could trust my dog and if my cat never got sick, I would seriously like to have one.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I would be afraid of either a mishap or a pet "playing" with the robot, if I wasn't home to supervise the vacuuming.  If I am home, I don't mind spending 20 minutes three times per week vacuuming with my Dyson cordless V8.  It's easy to use and light to push around.

Respected Contributor

I have a Shark that I got 3 years ago and have never had a problem with it.  I got it at Walmart for just over a hundred during Christmas season.  I have to keep a crate over it when not in use or my cat will turn it on.  I love the help of this machine! 

Regular Contributor

I purchased the Eufy brand during and Amazon daily sale last November.  It was around $150 and I'm in love.  I have it scheduled to run both when I'm home and when I'm not.  I have the docking station behind a chair in the family room.  It's gotten caught in a bathroom before so now I just close the door so it doesn't go in.  If I could afford it, I'd like to get a robot lawnmower someday.  

Respected Contributor

I ordered it yesterday and it already came!!! Wow! I have it charging now- Anyone have any tips for my first use?

Regular Contributor

I have one.  Rarely use as I have too much clutter, but it does work well.  I recommend it if you have large areas uncluttered.

Trusted Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

If you have a pet...and if your pet ever has accidents in the house, or hurls up "stuff' with hairballs...just remember that Roomba is looking for a mess.  Once Roomba finds poop, pee, or vomit, etc. it will go over it and over it and then go all over your lovely home in random patterns.  Sometimes this means it "paints" your floor in abstract patterns with whatever substance it is dragging along with it.  You will need to spend a good amount of time cleaning up after the Roomba has made its rounds.  Just a visual to consider that you might not have thought of before.  Ha!

That reminds when I was selling my dad's house a few years ago. I used  my roomba to vacuum the family room in the basement. I checked it to make sure is wasn't stuck... when I saw it doing a wonderful job going back & forth ... while pushing a dead mouse around the room! I forgot I put a mouse trap under the tv stand. I was horrified at the sight ... but it was really funny at the same time.

I do need a battery ... do you need a special one from roomba? I haven't taken it apart yet to check. If anyone here has replaced it, do you remember what type of battery is needed?

Honored Contributor

I was so tempted. But since I have a rough collie, I was not sure. I think the dog fur might cause a problem. Since some of his fur is about 5 inches long. I guess I made the right decision - by doing nothing.

I am afraid that it wouldn't be used, like my Dyson. It is so heavy and cumbersome. I only use the Dyson to clean leaves off the mat in front of the house.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bestdressed wrote:

That reminds when I was selling my dad's house a few years ago. I used  my roomba to vacuum the family room in the basement. I checked it to make sure is wasn't stuck... when I saw it doing a wonderful job going back & forth ... while pushing a dead mouse around the room! I forgot I put a mouse trap under the tv stand. I was horrified at the sight ... but it was really funny at the same time.

I do need a battery ... do you need a special one from roomba? I haven't taken it apart yet to check. If anyone here has replaced it, do you remember what type of battery is needed?

The type of battery you need depends on the model you have. Most batteries cost around $100+ for original part. But you can also find them a lot cheaper if you buy after-market. @Bestdressed 

Respected Contributor

@CritterKeeper   I've had two.  One when they first came out and I have 2 dogs that shed.  The bin on the first one was way to small to do any thing, it was filled up quickly.  (and I regularly vacuum so it was the in-between that I bought it for.  So that one was given away to someone who was going to use it in a camper. 

I recently bought a shark roomba type from QVC and although it had a medium size bin, it had to be emptied several times on one charge.  After using it twice - it dies, and back it goes.  I should have read the reviews on that one model.

I have a shark push vacuum and if it ever dies, I will get another.  That thing can pull fibers from a rug if you don't adjust the suction. 

If you have wood or tile floors like I do, I have a large dry mop (the flat rectangle kind) and I use that in between vacuuming now, it grabs the dog hair and I can push it around quickly and either shake it out or pull the hair off and throw it in the trash.  That works best for me especially since the cloth is attached by velcro and I can wash it when needed.  

......You look like I need a drink.....