Valued Contributor

I would LOVE to have a robot vacuum....

Always wanted one to help with all the dog hair. It would be nice to have it do the job while I'm at work. I just can't justify spending that much money. Believe me, if I could, I'd buy it in a heart beat!!   *sigh....

Valued Contributor

Re: I would LOVE to have a robot vacuum....

I have a roomba and I will tell you it's worth
every penny.
The very good thing about it is that you can
replace every part in it. I've bought new brushes, filters,  and last week  a new battery. Not expensive items and no charge for someone to fix it. It actually pays for itself in the savings when you can replace parts so easily.

That's how we roll in the shire..
Valued Contributor

I know what you mean, although the Dyson (which I own) is pretty pricey too and I have to push it around!  I was thinking that my dachshund Winston would be barking at the Roomba for the entire day! 

Trusted Contributor

@CritterKeeper  - as the Boar's Head ad says "Compromise elsewhere".  I've had one of these for several years and they are well worth the money.  I am single with no pets, and the dirt these pick up is amazing.

Honored Contributor

Has anyone vacuumed over the same area with a vacuum cleaner to see how well robots pick up the dirt?

It appears to me similar to one of those old push type Bissells, the bristles pushing surface dirt into the pan.  

Is there any suction that pulls up the dirt in robots? 

Respected Contributor

I waited for years to buy one thinking how good could it really be?

I was wrong.  Its a great little machine.  Its wonderful on hard wood floors and carpeting.  The only place it doesnt do very well is one area rug that I have that has very low pile.  Thats it.  It does a great job on my wall to wall in the living room and dining room and all the hardwood floors in the bedrooms.  Its magic under the bed!!!!  I love it.

Respected Contributor

I love my Roomba!  I've had it for over 5 years!  I don't know why I didn't purchase it when I worked!!!!  I have the basic model that returns to it's base when finished.  I've replaced the battery once and the brushes, once.  IRobot or Amazon has better pricing and IRobot has free shipping. I have used it as often as every day but usually every other day.  I do have a dog and it works wonders!

Valued Contributor

Oh man, you guys are killing me!! LOL

I want one sooo bad. I'm hoping my nagging will convince the hubby to give in and get me one for christmas. :-)

I come home from work and vacuum every other day because of the dog and cat hair. This would make things so much easier.

Thanks for all the reviews and input. It's good to hear that they really are worth it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watch a TV show every Saturday called Consumer 101 which is put out by Consumer Reports. In one of the episodes they discussed vacuum cleaners and said that robot vacs are not made to do deep-down cleaning and that you still need to use a regular vacuum cleaner to get your floors clean. They went on further to say that a good vacuum cleaner does not have to be expensive and that you should not judge a vacuum cleaner by it's price but rather by it's performance and what customers have to say about them.

ETA - That show was Season 2, episode 6...lots of ads in this vid but you can watch it here:

https://www.nbc.com/consumer-101/video/sound-check/4059567

Valued Contributor

Oh, I would still vacuum frequently. I move the furnature and things on Saturday when I do my main clean. I just think it would be nice to come home and not have the dog/cat hair tumble weeds floating across the living room and kitchen. :-) 

I have many miles on my shark vacuum, and have put lots of replacement parts on it. I really like it and it wasn't that expensive. 

Thanks for the tip.