Esteemed Contributor

Re: How would you like a toothbrush for a gift?

A toothbrush would not be my first choice for a gift, however I wouldnt get mad if someone gave me one. I would not buy one for a gift for someone though.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I'd be insulted if someone gave me a toothbrush for a gift.  I'd be p*ssed off in fact. 

A toothbrush is something only the user should be buying - I'm very particular about the kind of toothbrush I like to use.

Our dentist gives 'care packages' to every one of his patients on their way out the door - a travel size tube of toothpaste and a new brush.  Between my DH & me we had tons of each.  I'd always use the toothbrushes - some brands were good others not so much.  I finally used up all of the toothpastes. The small brushes I'd use but did not like them.  I think this is a great idea by my dentist but I do buy my own. 

Respected Contributor

Story....My Mom ( who passed away last year at 95) always used to comment on how expensive things were today and how crazy it was to spend so much on everything, including today's popular gifts....

I understood.....she was born in 1921 and was a young girl during the Depression....

Anyway....she used to tell us that when she was a kid, they were happy if they got an orange for Christmas ( remember in those days, fresh citrus fruit was not as available to the masses as it is today, so I guess it was a treat.....).

So one year, after hearing that story a MILLION times, on Christmas Day I handed Mom a large orange, and said..."Merry Christmas!!!!"..

After a startled look, I gave her her REAL gifts for that year.....but it was funny!!!

And she grudgingly accepted that times change!!

Before you bash me, understand we had a great relationship right to the end....I miss her very much, and I am amazed at people who diss thier parents over nonsense...time is SO short.....

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen My mother and yours would have understood each other perfectly. They got an orange too and candy sack from church. No presents. 

Trusted Contributor

I love my Sonicare so the toothbrush wouldn't be the worst....the grocery store gift card has me LOL over here!  Here honey, dont bother get yourself anything nice - just get me groceries!  Terrible!

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen. My mother always said they got a large orange, a handful of nuts and new socks for Christmas.  But you're correct; citrus was not as plentiful when our parents were growing up.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

@Snowpuppy  The grocery gift card is pretty bad.  One year I got a lovely assortment of mustards to go with the new skillet.

@gmkb, I'm so laughing with this thread! Thanks a lot. But this one, was especially good and I just wanted to say when your book comes out re: presents, let me know, I want to get it. You sound like our next Erma Bombeck. I hope you know who she is.

@qualitygal. Yes I do remember Erma Bombeck.  My list of gift disasters is long and varied.  But in his defense, I have been ill for the past year and he has knocked himself out taking good care of me with little complaint.  So he is a keeper, even if the gifts are not.

Honored Contributor

Long time Qvc viewer and shopper, and I really miss the days of the glamorous, romantic, "I want this" TSV.

Basso Luxury style coats, 14k gold Diamonique (sometimes real diamond) earrings or rings or bracelets......

I tried to figure out how I'd look wearing one of the toothbrushes to a holiday party and I finally was forced to decide that the chance of the motor getting stuck in my hair was too great a risk.

Honored Contributor

I loved the electric toothbrush my parents for me Christmas one year. It was a really nice one and cost more than I would have spent myself. I finally had to replace it last year and got a much cheaper one, but it doesn't have all the features the one they gave me had and the replacement bush heads are a little more expensive.

Like everything in life, it just depends on the circumstances and the people involved.

Valued Contributor

@gmkb  My husband had a lot to learn when it came to gift giving.  As the years went by, my children noticed and commented how much improved he was in gifting to his wife.  But, on topic, Santa usually leaves a toothbrush in the stockings.