Respected Contributor

Re: How much CoQ10 is enough?

You need to discuss dosing,  and if CoQ10 is right for you, with your doctor. Dosing is based on individual needs. One dose doesn't fit all. 

For example, I have a history of PVC's (since I was in my 30's) with any stimulants, such as caffeine, or decongestants, that type of thing. For some reason, when I take even lower doses of CoQ10, I have increased PVC's. So it seems to have a stimulant effect with me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started taking Co-Q10 years ago and credit it with getting me out of the periodontist's chair.  I think at that time I was taking 200, but switched to 100 when I started taking Qunol which is Ubiquinol and, therefore, absorbed better.  I haven't had any deterioration in my dental health which was never good to begin with, but mostly now it's crowns not gum disease.  I am now on a statin and my doctor does recommend taking it.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Ubiquinone is the same thing as CoQ10. Ubiquinol is the metabolite (broken down and bioavailable) form of ubiquinone.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Icegoddess 

Ubiquinone is the same thing as CoQ10. Ubiquinol is the metabolite (broken down and bioavailable) form of ubiquinone.

@SilleeMee  I see this listed on the TSV's ingredients....it says natural ubiquinone so at least his is the bioavailable kind.  

Looking at a bottle of Qunol I tried from Costco a few yrs ago (got about 10 caps left!) says Mega CoQ10 UbiQuinol (the active form of CoQ10) Hmmm...back of label says Ubiquinol (hydrosoluble) 100mg's.

So Qunol main ingredient actually is the one that our bodies must first break down and convert into the active absorbed kind.  Yet their bottle declares the opposite!

Good grief....LOL!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee  Went over to Costco's site....their store brand Kirkland and another brand Turnature have the active ingredient listed as Ubidecarenone.  WHAT is that??  

I know when I took the Qnol I felt nothing...no improvements or reactions just nothing.  

I have fatigue issues and the correct form of CoQ10 would be best as it helps the body with ATP production which is the energy in the cells of our bodies.  

Edit:  just googled this!

Is ubiquinone and ubidecarenone the same?
Ubiquinone and Ubidecarenone are different names for the same substance Coenzyme Q10 or CoQ10. Ubiquinone is a generic name. Ubidecarenone is the official name in the USP (United States Pharmacopeial Convention).

So AL's TSV and these other brands are the real deal!  Avoid Qunol brand LOL!

Edit again: Al's TSV and the other brands from Kirkland to Turnature have the cheap stuff and you must have the enzyme in your body working well to breakdown and absorb well.  LOL got it now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite 

What I do know is that ubiquinone (CoQ10) is metabolized in the body by an enzyme we have in our body and what ends up is ubiquinol which is the absorbable (bioavailable) form of the coenzyme. Older people have far less of that metabolic enzyme required to metabolize CoQ10 so a lot of the CoQ10 goes to waste. Older people, or people with certain medical conditions, would benefit the most from ubiquinol and not so much from ubiquinone (CoQ10). In other words a person can take all the CoQ10 in world but if their body doesn't have what it takes to make it absorb then it's useless. What it takes is an enzyme which our bodies make naturally but as we age that enzyme level goes down.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@tsavorite 

What I do know is that ubiquinone (CoQ10) is metabolized in the body by an enzyme we have in our body and what ends up is ubiquinol which is the absorbable (bioavailable) form of the coenzyme. Older people have far less of that metabolic enzyme required to metabolize CoQ10 so a lot of the CoQ10 goes to waste. Older people, or people with certain medical conditions, would benefit the most from ubiquinol and not so much from ubiquinone (CoQ10).

@SilleeMee  Ok I think I Have this all backwards!  So AL's TSV and Kirkland/Trunature have the hard to process kind and the Qunol brand has the good easy to asorb kind??

Sorry I need it in simple to understand stuff LOL!

Do I have this right now??

From Wikipedia:

It is well-established that CoQ10 is not well absorbed into the body, as has been published in many peer-reviewed scientific journals.[4] Since the ubiquinol form has two additional hydrogens, it results in the conversion of two ketone groups into hydroxyl groups on the active portion of the molecule. This causes an increase in the polarity of the CoQ10 molecule and may be a significant factor behind the observed enhanced bioavailability of ubiquinol.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite 

I'd have to look at the bottle. If it says it contains ubiquinol then that is the one older people should be taking. There is a big price difference between ubiquinone and ubiquinol. Ubiquinol is expensive.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  Thank you LOL....I just edited my post and put a wikipedia info quote on it which is helping me keep them straight!

Respected Contributor

Here is a copy of Qunol Mega CoQ10 Ubiquinol caps from Costco website....this looks to be the kind that is the active form and you don't have to convert it.