Contributor

I noticed the TSV with CoQ10 only offers 100 mg.  I had purchased the CoQ10 separatedly a couple of months ago and each capsule contains 200 mg. of CoQ10.  So the Essentials is the same as Essentials with CoQ10 with the addition of CoQ10 100 mg.

Also, I recall when Andrew talked about CoQ10 when I purchased mine a couple months ago that he recommended 2 capsules which would be 400 mg. 

I hope he talks about this.

Respected Contributor

Re: How much CoQ10 is enough?

Good question.  Like many vitamins, people often supplement with additional levels of particular ones even if in their multi.  I do with D3 and a few others.  I'd rather have some CoQ10 that has some level of benefit in my multi  than none.  I would venture to guess that if AL feels 100mg gives that, rather than maybe 5 mg, then I would trust his research. 
Your question is certainly valid, however, and one that can be looked up and I'm sure debated.  You can also call Procaps to discuss.   They are pretty knowledgeable, or call QVC and see if they can get him that question directly.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

100- 200 mg. is usually sufficient..  

You should do some research on dosage, benefits and side effects as it pertains to your situation like existing health conditions, drug interactions, what you’re getting through diet, etc.  

Honored Contributor

@April wrote:

I noticed the TSV with CoQ10 only offers 100 mg.  I had purchased the CoQ10 separatedly a couple of months ago and each capsule contains 200 mg. of CoQ10.  So the Essentials is the same as Essentials with CoQ10 with the addition of CoQ10 100 mg.

Also, I recall when Andrew talked about CoQ10 when I purchased mine a couple months ago that he recommended 2 capsules which would be 400 mg. 

I hope he talks about this.

I know that if you're on statins you need a LOT more than people who don't take statins. Statins destroy CoQ10 which we need for every part of our body! 200mg would be the very minimum. Dr. Sinatra has a lot to say about CoQ10.

Trusted Contributor

I goggled that very question and it seems 100mg is  adequate. What I read in a couple of places- 100- 200mg.

Respected Contributor

My doctor suggested 100 mg daily for me 

Respected Contributor

I ask my PCP if I should be taking Coq10 she said no.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Older people absorb less of CoQ10 b/c older adults produce less of an enzyme needed to break it down to the absorbable form, ubiquinol. So it makes sense to take more of the CoQ10 if you are older or you can just take ubiquinol and be done with it. Everyone can benefit from that regardless of age.

Valued Contributor

Your doctor is the one you probably should ask re: supplements and vitamins. 

Respected Contributor

What @JeanLouiseFinch said. 100-200mg is adequate and not needed by everyone.  If you have certain health conditions, it might be prudent to take it.  Even with a statin, my doctor told me that within the first month, if I didn't have any muscle weakness, that I didn't need to take it but could if I wanted.  I'm on a such a low dose of statins (10mg) that I didn't have any side effects but decided to take it anyway, and I take 100mg a day per my doctor's suggestion.  If you take more than that, you should split your dosage.