Contributor

Homedics TSV phone sanitizer - not sure it works!

So I haven't posted in a while, but really felt the need to write about my exeriance with this product.

I purchased two and from a totally other company we also purchased a large UVC light to sanitize rooms in the house. As we were doing that we also purchased test strips that prove UVC effectiveness.

I guess as you can't see anything really working, we were skeptical, especially of the large light that was quite expensive. Anyway, these strips have colored rings that change color when exposed to UVC light at the right frequency, and depending on the amount of light, they show if certain bacteria and virus' would be killed.

So we tested our large light and the strip changed color. I tried it out on this phone sanitizer and even after two cycles there was barely a change. I have to assume therefore that it's not working.

Now the unit gives every sign that it is working. Light goes on, then off etc. So please be careful, because having used this, one would assume that their phone is sanitized, but I'm not sure it really is.

I subsequently purchased a phonesoap. Did the same test and the strip changes color, just like it should. 

Needless to say I'm returning these to QVC.

Regular Contributor

Re: Homedics TSV phone sanitizer - not sure it works!

Very interesting post.  I also have the room uv sanitizer and also a portable hand held.  I have been wondering the  same thing.  I didn't know about the strips that you said indicate if the product is working.  Could you please let me know the name of the strips and where you bought them.  Thanks

Honored Contributor

skeptical about this product from the beginning

Honored Contributor

I am curious about the science behind all of these sanitizing products because there's so much new all the time.  You can even buy yourself into a franchise that sells periodic sanitizing for offices and homes.  The company existed even before this pandemic exploded.  Who knew?    

But I'm just curious, not buying.  Everything I'm understanding about how the virus spreads doesn't make me any more fearful of objects than I was before the pandemic.    Maybe I'd feel different if I had lots of family in and out of the house and didn't really know how faithfully they were washing their hands well.   

Esteemed Contributor

I am skeptical also of the phone sanitizer.  I just wipe both sides of mine with a Lysol wipe and leave it to dry on a paper towel.   I do the same with my door knobs and alarm panel after re entering my home from being out.   

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dianajj, the website that we got the testing strips from is below:

https://www.americanultraviolet.com/germicidal-healthcare-solutions/uvc-dosimeter.html

The strips are expensive - I think we paid $35 - but as we'd purchased a large house unit we wanted to make sure that it was doing what it claimed. Obviously, you can't really see these things working and have to go on faith. 

But these test strips really work. For comparison we purchased another large unit from China that was significantly cheaper. It worked, but took longer to reach the required dose.

Anyway, as I mentioned I purchased a phonesoap and used the strips in that, and it reached the same dose as my larger unit. 

Another thing that didn't seem right to me was the need to turn the phone over. While you're doing that you are potentially reintroducing bacteria etc. Also, the sanitization is degraded and doesn't really work in shadow. Threfore these units need a shiny interior to bounce the UVC around - which phonesoap has and the Homedics device doesn't. 

Valued Contributor

I returned mine too. I just couldn’t trust it was doing anything.
Regular Contributor

Wow..they are pricey too, I wonder where THEY  are made.  I think if they are made in America I will order them, if not I will keep looking.  Thanks for the info..

Valued Contributor

@Islandqueen1 wrote:

Wow..they are pricey too, I wonder where THEY  are made.  I think if they are made in America I will order them, if not I will keep looking.  Thanks for the info..

This is what they had on their website - UVC Dosimeter is patent protected technology from Intellego Technologies AB in Sweden, where it has been developed, tested, and approved, and also where it is manufactured.

Trusted Contributor

i liked this when i saw it... was even thinking about buying a few for xmas presents.. than i thought how do you know if it really works.. if it did i'd buy a few....