Honored Contributor

I have an Alexa in my bedroom and one in my TV room.  Every time on TV calls Alexa, mine answers!  I keep having MY Alexa answer QVC!

All day long this is going to drive me crazy!  Everyone in my family has at least two of these.  I love mine but......

Esteemed Contributor

Mine, too. Always makes me laugh!

Respected Contributor

I don't have the details but I have heard these devices can be used to gather information on the users. May be accumulating data to sell to marketers. Of course, that is already being done. I have enough electronic gadgers as it is. I would like to simplify.

Honored Contributor

Re: Here's the problem!

[ Edited ]

I don't want the plugs.  Every time he tells it to turn on lights, etc, she tells me to go get the plugs.  

I keep telling my Alexa No!  I feel like I'm back to when my girls were little.  She just answers the game with him.  Good grief.  Everyone must be having this problem...it's annoying but kind of funny too!

i  hooked my Dot in the bedroom to my Bose wireless speakers.  Works great.

Valued Contributor

Re: Here's the problem!

[ Edited ]

Just turn the microphone  off on your devices. 

Honored Contributor

Love Alexa....as i'm walking down the hall with my hands full, I can turn lights on and off just with my voice.  It has been very convenient.  Now our house is bluetooth and we can check if lights are on, close the garage door, or lock the door from our laptops, iphones, or ipads when away from the house as well as being alerted about any movement in the house or front door.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I had same problem. You just need to change her name to Echo. It's in the settings. You can call her a couple other things besides Alexa. Otherwise she'll be ordering you pizza & who knows what else.

If you need help finding the settings let me know....

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 @Goldengate8361

I'll post the instructions in case anyone wants to change their Dot or Echo's name.

In the Alexa app got to settings. Select your device & then scroll down to "wake word." Click the arrow to the right & the 4 choices will come up. I picked "Echo" and haven't had any problems. 

Honored Contributor

hmmm.  I have an Echo and don't plan to get another.  So when the TV presentation comes on, I either turn the channel or mute the TV.   

Trusted Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper

Mine would respond to the commercials on tv. "Alexa, order pizza." "Alexa, order laundry detergent."The first time the commercial came on my Alexa responded with "ok." Luckily I was in the room & yelled "Alexa, cancel" or I might have placed an order I didn't want. I've since changed the settings so orders won't be placed automatically. And changing the wake word helped the most.