Respected Contributor

I know this item has been tested but is it safe to use?  What are long term effects from laser to the head?  I am a breast cancer survivor so naturally I am very cautious about things that I use...would love to try since Tamoxifen has caused my hair to thin.

Esteemed Contributor

It would be hard to know what the long-term effects would be. This seems like a very mild laser. Also, (though the description doesn't show it), the reviews are very poor for this particular model. The overview shows it to have 1.5 stars. 

Trusted Contributor

I have thinning hair in the front by my bangs, which I somewhat attribute to my RA medications.  I looked up the reviews for the Hairmax on Amazon, and they were poor most said it didn't help.

Frequent Contributor

FYI...I’ve been off tamoxifen for two years now, and my hair is back to normal. 

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, the really long-term testing is hard to do without unleashing it on the public for 30 years and see what happens.  The companies do controlled testing and the product is considered safe based on those tests.  This has been on the market for awhile and aside from it taking a very long time to see results I've not heard anything.....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I bought my first hair laser comb when it was introduced here on the Q years ago. I have since bought a full-size helmet (I-Grow)  type device and I have nothing but good things to say about both of them. But before these devices were made available for public sale, I was getting treated by a dermatologist who was using this same type low-level laser device on my head. I was very happy when I could buy my own.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

I hope my hair returns a bit to normal ... 3 more years to go!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Hairmax safety

[ Edited ]

@hayseed00wrote:

I have thinning hair in the front by my bangs, which I somewhat attribute to my RA medications.  I looked up the reviews for the Hairmax on Amazon, and they were poor most said it didn't help.

I'm confused.  I looked up the Prima 7 and Ultima 9 on Amazon, and they both have around 4 stars out of 5.

Respected Contributor

@Effie54wrote:

It would be hard to know what the long-term effects would be. This seems like a very mild laser. Also, (though the description doesn't show it), the reviews are very poor for this particular model. The overview shows it to have 1.5 stars. 

I'm confused by this comment, as well.  This is a new model.  A similar model offered previously is the Hairmax Lux 9.  You can do a google search and find the original QVC page.  It has 3.1/5 stars.  While not great, I always wonder how many 1 stars are users not using it as directed.  The same can be said for 5 stars being wishful thinking.  I will find out, though, because mine will be here Thursday, and I will use it as directed just as I have my other devices that have ALL worked.  I took before photos, too, so I can do my own comparisons.

Honored Contributor

I think there are people who post negative reviews because they didn't see good results and I suspect they were not using it correctly. I have heard the rep say that you can go into a 'maintenance' mode after the first few months of seeing regrowth. I disagree with this completely because I did that and my hair started to get thin again. So I keep on the schedule of using it 3x weekly, no less. @Ainhisg